Sponsored by:

shifter clunks on 3 to 4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 02:51 PM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter clunks on 3 to 4?

I was adjusting the set screw & nut on my B&M shifter because it had play from the top to the bottom. So after I set the shifter so that it is snug, I noticed that my shifter makes a clunk type of noise and is notchy/not smooth when coming out of 3rd & going into 4th. also happens coming out of 5th and going into 6th, but 1st to 2nd is smooth & quiet and not notchy.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, if you have this on your car & if not, what the cause & fix might be?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:37 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Normal
Old 11-20-2006, 01:17 PM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by jb26jb
Normal
Really? It feels like it gets loose for awhile when it is between gears & then it is kinda hard to get into 4th, but whhen it does, it goes 'clunk'...

but it only happens when up shifting, not downshihfting... i hope its normal, anyone else?

I dont recall this hapenning b4 installing my B&M short shifter, but then again, maybe I just didnt notice it?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:30 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It IS NOT normal at all. It should be smooth as butter with no noise or feel or notchiness after wamrup.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 PM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
It IS NOT normal at all. It should be smooth as butter with no noise or feel or notchiness after wamrup.
But remember, I have a B&M short shifter, i could definately feel the notches between gears after installing the short shifter, the really odd part is that I'm not sure that I remember there being a clunk noise, I think the noise is from the gear engaging or from the shifter hitting the bottom of the gate?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:48 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by delirium
But remember, I have a B&M short shifter, i could definately feel the notches between gears after installing the short shifter, the really odd part is that I'm not sure that I remember there being a clunk noise, I think the noise is from the gear engaging or from the shifter hitting the bottom of the gate?

Repeat as necessary:

I would check your shifter adjustments. You may be bottoming out on one of the strokes.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:02 PM
delirium
Racer

Repeat as necessary:

I would check your shifter adjustments. You may be bottoming out on one of the strokes.
Ok, ill check it out, but there is only one adjustment that can be made on the shifter which is the set bolt & jam nut right?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Ok, ill check it out, but there is only one adjustment that can be made on the shifter which is the set bolt & jam nut right?
Each cable can also be adjusted. There are probably instructions somewhere on this forum. Leave console out while you test drive it so you can do fine adjustments based on need.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I always wonder, other than the cables inside the console, are there any other adjustment points you can tweak? e.g., under car where the cables are connected to the gearbox?

Thanks,
- Ahsai
Old 11-21-2006, 01:24 PM
delirium
Racer

Ok, so i opened up the shifter console & checked my cables, everything there looked good.

So, i started playing with the set screw & lock nut on the short shifter, and after several runs, i have gotten the shifter to be smoother, however now I hear a sort of "click click" when it engages into 3rd and 5th. The action is still smooth, but it makes a little bit of a click noise, is this the bolt action feel that some people mention?

Man, that set screw & lock nut is hard to figure out.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Ok, so i opened up the shifter console & checked my cables, everything there looked good.

So, i started playing with the set screw & lock nut on the short shifter, and after several runs, i have gotten the shifter to be smoother, however now I hear a sort of "click click" when it engages into 3rd and 5th. The action is still smooth, but it makes a little bit of a click noise, is this the bolt action feel that some people mention?

Man, that set screw & lock nut is hard to figure out.
Take a look at the 3- 5 cable adjustment. You might be just bottoming out. Slight adjustment should give you clearance to eliminate noise.

Isn't it a rewarding feeling to fix something yourself? You now have a much better understanding of how your shifter works.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:03 PM
delirium
Racer

Take a look at the 3- 5 cable adjustment. You might be just bottoming out. Slight adjustment should give you clearance to eliminate noise.

Isn't it a rewarding feeling to fix something yourself? You now have a much better understanding of how your shifter works.
Where are these 3 & 5 cables located? I only see two cables under the console, one is for horizontal movement & one is for the vertical movement of the shifter.

Ya it feels good, but Im afraid that my console will start squeaking cuz I have taken it apart so much & it might be getting loose.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:54 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Where are these 3 & 5 cables located? I only see two cables under the console, one is for horizontal movement & one is for the vertical movement of the shifter.

Ya it feels good, but Im afraid that my console will start squeaking cuz I have taken it apart so much & it might be getting loose.
Those 2 cables are what I am talking about. Move the shifter and see if either one of them is bottoming out in one direction of the other. Many times, they do and cause a clicking sound as they hit the stop.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:38 PM
delirium
Racer

so i guess the fix would just be to move the cable up/down in relation to the shift linkage? Can bottoming out the cable cause any damage to the car or is it just a noise?

Quick Reply: shifter clunks on 3 to 4?