Sponsored by:

Quick lube real stories...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:26 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick lube real stories...

Last few times in they have put too much oil in. Today I decided to show them the dipstick and where I wanted the oil. I told them 8.7 qt's. They said "we fill it up to here" (pointing to something higher). I said, "no, fill it to here". They said "we fill it to here", I said nope. Fill it to where it is supposed to be, the top line on the stick. They said "ok, if thats what you want".
So, ok, we got past that. Pointed out that I forgot to remove the clamp from the oil filler cap (PCA rules) but that their guy could just loosen the hose clamp and then unscrew the filler cap.
Next I said M1 0W-40. He said "full synthetic?". I said "ah..yeah, M1 0W-40". Anyone confused? I mean besides these guys....
So, I thought perhaps if I stand outside the bay and make a few phone calls I can act a bit disinterested yet still keep an eye on things. The tech has to call a supervisor to ask some question about the filter. Hmmm. This is all in Spanish of course, not one word in English. Next He goes for the oil, getting quarts. That's funny, they always use the hose from the mystery 50 gallon drum- one of my earlier concerns until several changes ago they showed me the drum labeling. It's just that the drum is downstairs and the tech pulls out one of maybe eight hoses and fills your oil....
So he gets 7 quarts. Not 8, not 9. Ok. He puts them all down on the ground so the label faces away from me. I'm not making any of this up guys. So I stand out there chatting with a buddy-a bit distracted by now, but taking all this in. He puts seven quarts in and makes quite a show of checking the dipstick many times. He makes a final two or three quick but professional dipstick moves and goes back for another quart. Setting it down, label away, he kneels and pours it in checking the dipstick a few more times. Obviously satisfied he goes to put the cap back on. I see him struggling- because the freaking hose clamp is still on!!!
Now I walk in to the car. I tell the guy to unscrew the hose clamp and give it to me, then he can put on the oil filler cap. I don't even bother to ask how the hell he got it off before I "wandered" over there. Of course this is a perfect opportunity to see what bottles he has been pouring from. M1 5-30.
I tell him you put the wrong oil in. He said "no, this is what we used last time". I said I was afraid of that but either way it's the wrong stuff now. Off he goes for the manager. More English is now spoken and I am told emphatically that they have been using M1 0W-40 despite the fact the tech who clearly recognizes the Speed Yellow 911 says he wasn't. The manager in broken English now tells me- as his guy is over at the shelves scratching his head, "you tell them 0W-40 and they don't listen". Ya. Right.
So they say they are out of 0W-40 but if I can drive on it this week they will get a new shipment in soon and drop this 5W-30 and fill it with the 0W-40. I agree to come back and pay when it's done right. Before I leave the tech says he wants to check the level one more time so I say ok and step outside again. that's right, I'm thinking, he only did put in 8 quarts before all this confusion started. So what's the guy do now? He starts the car. He runs it for 10 seconds, jumps out and checks the dipstick again. He decides it needs more. No kidding? It only had 8 in it and the book calls for 8.7. He grabs another quart and I'm thinking he will put a half in or something. Nope. Full quart. 9.0 quarts M1 5W30. Good thing he didn't crank it again and jump out to check it. He could have then put in a few more quarts before it all ended up in the pan.
I go here because they have a drivein bay- no lift. Also because they have Mobil 1. I have tried many places but this is the only one with a pit and M1.
This may have been the last straw guys. I plan on getting the correct oil there next week and may not ever let a shop do my oil again. I didn't even improve my Spanish at the place.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

1 Comment - unproductive I know.

If you take your car to morons like these, then you deserve everything you get. I won't even take my Honda to the Jiffy/Express Lubes of the world. They are renowned for messing up everything they touch. Sure you can be cheap on your oil change, but it's not cheap to fix their errors and damage.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:49 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I have to concur with oreganet. I wouldn't even consider, not for a millisecond, taking my car for an oil change to one of these outfits.

Most of the stories about oil changes at these places are far worse than yours.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:51 PM
CT03911
Banned

Oreganet, why is it you always have an unproductive post? Common theme from you here. I was hoping someone else could have a laugh from my troubles. Possibly troubles many of us have had. Most every one knows if you are trying to do you oil "cheap" as you say- you do it at home.
You pay MORE at these places because they do the work and disposal. I expect and many times recieve comments from people who have different opinions than me. I have noticed most of yours are negative and in this case wrong.
I WILL do my oil on the CHEAP from now on, at home.
And, let me just say, if you are now thinking "well.....what I really meant to say was go to the dealer" or some other backpedaling I am not impressed by much that a dealer does, certainly not for what they ask. Until today I thought how bad can you screw up an oil change?
Here's a deal. You make positve posts, pro or con, but positive. Don't just rush in to write something contrary and I will lighten up on you. Take the time to review some of your post responses before you come up with some stinging rebuttle. I really don't need it after today.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

<Fetches popcorn>
Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

CTO, it's okay if you don't like my posts - I'm not offended. I tend to be realistic and honest and I know that you typically don't like that. Common sense is something I have and try to bring to my posts.

I read your post, slapped my forehead and wondered if it was possible to have Porsche confiscate your 996 for some of the attempts at abuse you post about.

I'm not the most mechanically minded and am far from an expert in automotive repair, but I really do wonder about your ignorance sometimes.

Originally Posted by CT03911
Oreganet, why is it you always have an unproductive post? Common theme from you here. I was hoping someone else could have a laugh from my troubles. Possibly troubles many of us have had. Most every one knows if you are trying to do you oil "cheap" as you say- you do it at home.
You pay MORE at these places because they do the work and disposal. I expect and many times recieve comments from people who have different opinions than me. I have noticed most of yours are negative and in this case wrong.
I WILL do my oil on the CHEAP from now on, at home.
And, let me just say, if you are now thinking "well.....what I really meant to say was go to the dealer" or some other backpedaling I am not impressed by much that a dealer does, certainly not for what they ask. Until today I thought how bad can you screw up an oil change?
Here's a deal. You make positve posts, pro or con, but positive. Don't just rush in to write something contrary and I will lighten up on you. Take the time to review some of your post responses before you come up with some stinging rebuttle. I really don't need it after today.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:06 PM
CT03911
Banned

I know you are not offended, but you can be offensive. You have made many responses in the same vein to my posts and others here. Usually I just overlook them because too many people act that way in forums. Read your own post.

I read your post, slapped my forehead and wondered if it was possible to have Porsche confiscate your 996 for some of the attempts at abuse you post about. I really do wonder about your automotive ignorance sometimes.

Oreganet, just make an effort to respond like you were sitting at a table with us. A little civility is all I ask.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I have to say I would never take a decent car to one of those places.

I did take my wifes jeep cherokee with 250k miles on the clock but thats it.

I think there are 3 ways to do this task

1. take it to the dealer
2. read renntech and do it yourself
3 take it to a good indy
4. I've had a few beers and oreganet's posts have been pretty funny although I can see why you are pissed.....
Old 12-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Ahem, read your post that provoked it. I tend to respond inkind.

If I'm curt with you it's usually because of something you've said. I try to be helpful to you (and will continue to help when I can), but in the past you have basically cast aside common sense or evidence that is contrary to your belief, or intentions.

In previous posts you have asked for help, then ignored the advice if it's not fitting with what you want to do. I'm cool with that, you can make whatever decisions you're comfortable with, but we're here to present the best information we can when asked and try and guide an intelligent decision.

My post above was intended to be flippant, not offensive. I apologize if you took it that way. These kinds of places have a widespread reputation for their errors. Cost has nothing to do with the equation, as you said, do it yourself if you want to save money, but at least have it done in a quality manner - these places wouldn't know quality if it hit them in the face and said "I'm a piece of quality."

Thanks p-car - I'm glad you got my point.

Originally Posted by CT03911
I know you are not offended, but you can be offensive. You have made many responses in the same vein to my posts and others here. Usually I just overlook them because too many people act that way in forums. Read your own post.

I read your post, slapped my forehead and wondered if it was possible to have Porsche confiscate your 996 for some of the attempts at abuse you post about. I really do wonder about your automotive ignorance sometimes.

Oreganet, just make an effort to respond like you were sitting at a table with us. A little civility is all I ask.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 PM
tennktm
Advanced

Taking your Porsche to a quickie shop is like taking your Rolex to the jewelry counter at WalMart to have the bracelet repaired.....it just does not make sense......

I must say, do you really expect to get good service at that type of place? Do you really think they care what weight oil goes in your car? Do you really think they care about your car?

I am not flaming, but go ahead and pay the extra money to get it done right....I scoffed at my 100.00 alignment yesterday at the same place that usually does my cars for 59.00....the guy looked at me and said, hey, it is a Porsche and all four wheels must be done......I thought, well, I have a 50k car, I should know better than to bitch because it costs a little more than my toyota to get fixed....

Tennktm
Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 PM
CT03911
Banned

Oreganet, I don't know how you can wordsmith or take comments out of context any more completely but you are good at it. Hey, I benefit greatly from this forum and respect the members greatly. I was never a big forum guy until not all that long ago. I don't post just to see my post count go up, that kind of stuff. I really get bothered by people who take the time to post negatively. The classic "do a search"response. Why bother with that answer? I like people that help, agree or not but a positive contribution. We all know when we are posting something that is truely helpful versus something designed to take a stab at someone.
If your comments were intended to be simply "flippant" than I must be too sensitive. Apology accepted. Lets move on. I'm still hoping someone gets a laugh out of my moronic decision to go to a quick lube :-)
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

CTO. My posts are always intended to be helpful, even if they are not perceived that way. I will never say do a search. I'll give information and coach.

I am not a mean or spiteful person, but I am blunt and honest. I'll say it as I see it and I'll back it up with data. You've read enough of my posts to know that I'm a smart-***, but I will tell you truth, even if you don't like it. Those who know me well tell me they respect that quality. Most even appreciate the humor.

..getting back on topic, I mostly just felt bad for you, as I predicted the story as soon as I started reading the post. The guys working there must have thought it was their birthday when they got to drive the Carrera. I'm just sorry that you hadn't heard of their reputations ahead of your visit.

Now move on before Gota911 wants another hug... he's used up his quota this month.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:13 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a quick lube owner I would not recomed taking your 911 to just any place. I service a lot of 911's in my area but thats because they know I know their cars. I have also taught each of my employee's how to properly change and check the oil on the different versions of the 911. Not all quick lube's are full of morons but the vast majority of them do not know how to properly service our beloved automobiles.

Chris
Old 12-14-2006, 10:22 PM
CT03911
Banned

Chris, I too was interested in the business. Actually I progressed a good ways in plans but ultimately location, or lack thereof, caused me to back off. This Place is a new facility. I have spoken with the owners. They may need to speak with their guys more like you have but I certainly feel this family owned detail and M1 lube is a cut above. Well, maybe the jury's still out on that one.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:54 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by oreganet
If you take your car to morons like these, then you deserve everything you get. I won't even take my Honda to the Jiffy/Express Lubes of the world.

+1

Quick Reply: Quick lube real stories...