Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to change from fahrenheit to celcius?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 AM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to change from fahrenheit to celcius?

Hi, does anyone know how to change the outside temperature (under the speed display) from fahrenheit to celcius? In another thread, Chuck Jones posted some interesting info on how to change the interior climate control panel, but it has no effect on the outside temp. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here you go.....

Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32)
Tc = temperature in degrees Celsius,
Tf = temperature in degrees Fahrenheit
Old 02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
here you go.....

Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32)
Tc = temperature in degrees Celsius,
Tf = temperature in degrees Fahrenheit
Or you can just turn the "odometer reset" **** and hold it for 3 seconds. It is the same procedure for changing the digital speedometer and odometer from miles to kilometers and vice-versa. Check your owner's manual.

You probably already know this but breaking out a pad and paper and doing mathematical computations or using a calculator while driving is dangerous. It is worse than talking on your cellphone. Just change the display.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 AM
donuts
Instructor

Lol, thanks guys, I've tried the odometer reset and have changed the miles to kilometers but doing that doesn't change the temp. Just to clarify is it supposed to be the same procedure? Also I checked the manual and I didn't find anything...
Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by donuts
Lol, thanks guys, I've tried the odometer reset and have changed the miles to kilometers but doing that doesn't change the temp. Just to clarify is it supposed to be the same procedure? Also I checked the manual and I didn't find anything...
That's weird. I have a 2000 Cabriolet and changing from miles to kilometers also changes the outside temp reading from Fahrenheit to Celsius. What year is your car?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I just checked on my car.

Push the computer control lever (lever below turn signal stalk) forward twice. This should get you into the "set" menu. Now push the lever down about 5 times until you see the temperature:celsius/fahrenheit function. Select Celsius and push the lever forward to change. Pull back on the lever several times to back out of the menus.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

If you don't have a board computer (was an option in prior 02 cars), then you can't change the temperature from F to C. That's at least the result of my research on this issue and I spent about 2 hours on the web on various US and EU pages and asked my P dealer. I've done the mph to kmh thing but it doesn't change the temperature on my C2 Cab 2000, so it's really weird that yours changes programmatore! The change on the climate control works well but it's kind of odd to have C for the climate control and F for the outside temp. The only way that works is to change the gauge to a EU or CAD one.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The instrument cluster has changed over the model years.

On a 2002-2004 Boxster with the OBC option you could change the temp with the OBC stalk. This OBC cluster has a dot matrix middle display. The standard cluster does not.

I think this optional cluster also started in 2002 for the 996.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
If you don't have a board computer (was an option in prior 02 cars), then you can't change the temperature from F to C. That's at least the result of my research on this issue and I spent about 2 hours on the web on various US and EU pages and asked my P dealer. I've done the mph to kmh thing but it doesn't change the temperature on my C2 Cab 2000, so it's really weird that yours changes programmatore! The change on the climate control works well but it's kind of odd to have C for the climate control and F for the outside temp. The only way that works is to change the gauge to a EU or CAD one.
As long as the OBC is turned "on" (with or without the stalk) you can change the temp reading from F to C and back on any 996 (I have a MY99 and that works fine). Turning the OBC on is a simple function that any dealer can do in about 30 seconds with a PST2 or PIWIS.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 PM
donuts
Instructor

Thanks everyone, I have a '99 with no OBC...so Loren I will see if the dealer can turn mine on for me. Does it then automatically switch over with the Km to Mph change or is there a procedure to do?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Loren
Drifting

The instrument cluster switches just as described above with the odometer button.
If you want the AC controls in degrees C then that needs to be changed with the shops PST2 or PIWIS also -- or Chuck Jones method.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Thanks Loren!

If this works, then I guess my wonderful Porsche dealer either didn't know or was just too lazy to convert it when they had my car in Jan for almost 1 week. OK, "Porsche of Tysons" here in NOVA is just one of Porsche's top 25 "PREMIER" dealers in NA, so who would then expect them to be able to convert the temperature?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by hwk72
Thanks Loren!

If this works, then I guess my wonderful Porsche dealer either didn't know or was just too lazy to convert it when they had my car in Jan for almost 1 week. OK, "Porsche of Tysons" here in NOVA is just one of Porsche's top 25 "PREMIER" dealers in NA, so who would then expect them to be able to convert the temperature?
My car didn't have the OBC. Art, my service tech at Intersport, turned the outside temp display on for me -- and yes, it changes from Fahrenheit to Celsius along with the miles to kilometers display. Take your car to Intersport and Art can take care of it for you.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:44 PM
donuts
Instructor

Thanks Loren! Is there any other tricks that the OBC can do once it is turned on and how else do you control it?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Loren
Drifting

Early OBC gave you these values: Temperature, Distance To Empty, Avg. MPH, and Avg. MPG.
To see the other options you need to add the 4th steering wheel stalk or a switch on the dash to cycle through the settings. Just go to RennTech.org and search for OBC hack.

Quick Reply: How to change from fahrenheit to celcius?