996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PA/NJ Spring Fling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Ramp
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, just confirmed the in-laws taking the kids so my wife and I will be joining you - our first P-car event. It's a 2 hr drive from Long Island so I think we'll go on Sat night and stay over - there's a bunch of B&B's right in town and across the bridge.

Anyone else going the night before ?

Wellardmac -please add me to the list - unless we're talking major downpours or snow -we'll be there ASSUMING my shop finishes and gets me my car back - had it aligned last week and I'm having the 60k service done - new plugs, oil, brake fluid flush, cam cover seepage fixed (under extended warranty !), Psyched !!

I'll pm for the route since I have zero experience in the area I need to focus on since I will also need to "interpret" my navigator's instructions - i.e., left means right and north means south.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Cool! Glad to have you along! I'm paranoid about making sure the directions are bulletproof. I've driven the route a few times now with different navigators, so I think we're okay.

I'll send a web link out to those that need it once I've put the pages together.

Tony356993 will be at the Best Western New Hope (now the the new Hope Inn) on the night before, so you guys might be able to compare cars if you're in the same place.

Originally Posted by Ramp
Well, just confirmed the in-laws taking the kids so my wife and I will be joining you - our first P-car event. It's a 2 hr drive from Long Island so I think we'll go on Sat night and stay over - there's a bunch of B&B's right in town and across the bridge.

Anyone else going the night before ?

Wellardmac -please add me to the list - unless we're talking major downpours or snow -we'll be there ASSUMING my shop finishes and gets me my car back - had it aligned last week and I'm having the 60k service done - new plugs, oil, brake fluid flush, cam cover seepage fixed (under extended warranty !), Psyched !!

I'll pm for the route since I have zero experience in the area I need to focus on since I will also need to "interpret" my navigator's instructions - i.e., left means right and north means south.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Ramp
Pro

Wellardmac - as your in the "area" - how far is Villanova from Lambertville - We can stay at friends if its not too far - otherwise I'm going to reserve a room at one of the B&B's in town.

TRony356993 - how far out is the Best Western ?

Getting pumped ! Asked the wife to replace the batteries in the walkie talkies and steal them from the kids - hope someone cab show us how to use them.

Also, will be bringing my laptop w/ Durametric software if anyone needs it.

QUOTE=Wellardmac]Cool! Glad to have you along! I'm paranoid about making sure the directions are bulletproof. I've driven the route a few times now with different navigators, so I think we're okay.

I'll send a web link out to those that need it once I've put the pages together.

Tony356993 will be at the Best Western New Hope (now the the new Hope Inn) on the night before, so you guys might be able to compare cars if you're in the same place. [/QUOTE]
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Villanova is close relative to where you are, but probably still an hour from Lambertville.

The Best Western is maybe 2 miles from where we're meeting it's across the river in New Hope on Rte 202.

Let's hope for good weather, but I've a feeling that we're in for a good meeting, regardless of if we get wet.

I'm getting exciteed now, as I've not driven the route enough to know the sections where I can put my foot down... there's a really nice hillclimb early on in the route that I'm dying to hit aat speed.

I'm really pleased with how the route has come together... hill climbs, curvy roads, 2 covered bridges, horse farms, long straights for overtaking, parks... you name it, we have it in there - it really worked out nicely.

Originally Posted by Ramp
Wellardmac - as your in the "area" - how far is Villanova from Lambertville - We can stay at friends if its not too far - otherwise I'm going to reserve a room at one of the B&B's in town.

TRony356993 - how far out is the Best Western ?

Getting pumped ! Asked the wife to replace the batteries in the walkie talkies and steal them from the kids - hope someone cab show us how to use them.

Also, will be bringing my laptop w/ Durametric software if anyone needs it.

QUOTE=Wellardmac]Cool! Glad to have you along! I'm paranoid about making sure the directions are bulletproof. I've driven the route a few times now with different navigators, so I think we're okay.

Tony356993 will be at the Best Western New Hope (now the the new Hope Inn) on the night before, so you guys might be able to compare cars if you're in the same place.
[/QUOTE]
Old 04-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Art_Z
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a little advice for the folks coming. Not sure how much of our trip will be in PA, I haven't seen the route, but here is the scoop:
Pennsylvania local cops are not allowed to use radar, only the State Police can. So they typically use VASCAR or some other timing device which radar detectors cannot defend against. You'll see lines painted perpendicular to the road, and a cop sitting off to the side will time you between the lines, thus noting your speed, with no warning to you.

I've been on other P car rides where it seemed word traveled out to police in the communities as we made our way through in four groups (I was in the last group) and there were several speed traps setup waiting for people to "hammer down" coming into long straightaways or whatever. I'm all for a spirited drive, but nothing garners the local cop's revenue generating machine like a long string of P-cars rolling throught their town at high speeds.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Very good points! - That's one of the reasons why the route is not available by general distribution - most can get it on Sunday.

Having driven the route a couple of times I'll say this. Expect radar on the NJ side. We do have sone nice fast stretches that are long and straight - your radar detectors should be okay there.

As for PA, the numbered routes are the only ones where you will find state police (with radar) and they are very rare. The locals are the main ones to look out for. I have deliberately designed the route to stay away from population and possible radar traps. Most of the route is free of VASCAR lines, but there are some on the roads with more traffic... don't worry, we're not on those for long.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

...just a follow-up thought on this.

At one point you will see that I designed a stretch where we detour around a town on the NJ side - it's longer to do this, but it gets us around the 25mph zone that runs through town. I figure that it will be faster and less ticket prone to detour around, even if it's not immediately obvious why I did it that way.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Art_Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
...just a follow-up thought on this.

At one point you will see that I designed a stretch where we detour around a town on the NJ side - it's longer to do this, but it gets us around the 25mph zone that runs through town. I figure that it will be faster and less ticket prone to detour around, even if it's not immediately obvious why I did it that way.
lemme guess ... Frenchtown?? it goes from like 50 to 25 mph in the space of 100 feet on route 29.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Yup, you got it.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

*************** DATE CHANGED **********************

Run will be this Saturday 4/14 NOT Sunday 4/15 for obvious weather reasons. Hope you can still make the run. All other details remain the same. Hope you can make it.

Sorry for the last minute change but Sunday is going to be over an inch of rain and high winds.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Ramp
Pro

Excellent for me - That works even better !! - If I can get a hotel room this late !
Old 04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I previously had work related plans for Sun. which I moved up to Sat. Suffice it to say, that knocks me out.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry Dave - This was a hard decision to make the change but Sunday looked like it would have sucked weather wise.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony356993
Sorry Dave - This was a hard decision to make the change but Sunday looked like it would have sucked weather wise.
Totally understandable. The run would be a complete failure on Sun if the weather turns out be as forecast. I was really looking forward to it, though. So was the wife. C'est la vie.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Ramp
Pro

Thumbs down

BUMBING - just got a call from my indy - was finishing the 60k and just advised me that while they were replacing the left side dash gauge lights, the tach and temp gauges "stopped" working. They need to order new gauges !

He's calling my extended warranty company but either way they won't be functional for the trip and I'm not sure I want to do this long a run without the temp and tach - besides - running a car that's not in perfect running condition takes away from the fun.

Not sure what to do - about the run and the situation - he also told me that he noticed that the leather around the switch plate that they need to pry off to remove the pod is scratched up from someone before them. I told him I never noticed it - I'll know more on this when I pick the car up.

Quick Reply: PA/NJ Spring Fling?