Sponsored by:

Rattles and Such - Something's IN my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Rattles and Such - Something's IN my car

The previous owner removed a small piece of the carpet under the passenger seat. Not much is gone, maybe a 1.5' X 1.5' foot square. I thought it was neat at first, being able to see the metal and a few exposed wires.

When you look under the seat, you can see there are two pieces of metal on top of each other, with periodic gaps between the two - like 1/4" high. I'm not sure what these were intended for, but I can tell you what the ended up being:
gopher holes where a pen and some change can hide and perpetually rattle around during breaking and acceleration.
I've tried to fish the items out, but I can't seem to get them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the demons out?

-td
Old 03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of suggestions...
5" hole saw from underneath the car
Expanding foam in the hole
Invert the car
Small, highly trained rodent

How about some strips of duct tape place in the hole. Wait till the rattle stops and extract the tape with items attached. Or, there is the high powered shop vac method.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manager's tape

Get some wide manager's tape (two faced) and put it down in the open area.

When the noise makers vibrate over it, they'll stick to it.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts
Default That hole in the carpet is supposed to be there

Both sides of the carpet under the seats do not have carpet. This is because in RHD cars, some of the electronics are installed there.

I would suggest removing the seat, and digging around to find the loose stuff rolling around. It is probably stuck in the floor stiffener toward the front of the seat.

good luck with it. That stuff can be very annoying.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Both sides of the carpet under the seats do not have carpet. This is because in RHD cars, some of the electronics are installed there.

I would suggest removing the seat, and digging around to find the loose stuff rolling around. It is probably stuck in the floor stiffener toward the front of the seat.

good luck with it. That stuff can be very annoying.

+1
the list of stuff i pulled out from under my seats was staggaring. In one sitting i managed to remove no less than: 3 water bottles, a box of business cards i lost, my friends house keys (he must have dropped them in the previous season lol) and some other odds and sods (papers etc).

how's that for easy weight reduction
Old 03-09-2007, 02:48 PM
PorschePRH
Instructor

Originally Posted by td873
The previous owner removed a small piece of the carpet under the passenger seat. Not much is gone, maybe a 1.5' X 1.5' foot square. I thought it was neat at first, being able to see the metal and a few exposed wires.

When you look under the seat, you can see there are two pieces of metal on top of each other, with periodic gaps between the two - like 1/4" high. I'm not sure what these were intended for, but I can tell you what the ended up being:
gopher holes where a pen and some change can hide and perpetually rattle around during breaking and acceleration.
I've tried to fish the items out, but I can't seem to get them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the demons out?

-td
Those carpet holes under the seat were a shocker to me. Seems very low rent. Any chevy off the lot has been successfully engineered to have carpet under the seat with all of their electronics. I can show these great German engineers how to do it if they want.

I am sure those holes are a source of road noise too, but there's little chance you'll hear that road noise over all the regular road noise in this poorly isolated cabin.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:28 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePRH
Those carpet holes under the seat were a shocker to me. Seems very low rent. Any chevy off the lot has been successfully engineered to have carpet under the seat with all of their electronics. I can show these great German engineers how to do it if they want.

I am sure those holes are a source of road noise too, but there's little chance you'll hear that road noise over all the regular road noise in this poorly isolated cabin.

Quick Reply: Rattles and Such - Something's IN my car