Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need opinion on 99 C2. Would you buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I read somewhere that you can switch the instrument cluster out on the 996...for example if you have a 996 w/high miles you can switch it for one that you bought off ebay that has...say 40,XXX miles. Make sure you have a PPI done and have them check the OBDII computer. I think it lists the actual milage to make sure it is correct. Can anyone confirm this?

If all checks out with the PPI, it seems like a killer deal.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bothersome thing about any of these transactions is trying to figure out the real story on the car, especially when you're buying from the third owner. We all tend to be guarded as buyers and with good reason. The worn seat doesn't go with a 41000 mile car, at least in my experience. So if you can get the real story and it is in fact accurate milage and you get a PPI that you're satisfied with then sure, go for it. But if the story doesn't add up I'd run away from it. Maybe the owner weighs 300 lbs or something like that and he killed the seat?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the car is not cheap.
do u have carfax? post it here.
the "paint chip" is from accident for sure. you need to check if anything else is damaged, i hope not, that's what bumper is for anyway.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:59 AM
mauijim
Intermediate

The only times I have seen paint chip like that was over plastic filler - my bet is this 911 has had paint work. However the driver's seat looks like it can be refurbished - as long as it's not a tear-through. All-in-all: keep looking if this car will be an everyday driver, but could be a good track car if it has a good PPI and you can get it in the low $20k's or less. I agree with Dave S, finding the real story on a three-owner car is nearly impossible; most of the time, the best we can do is inspect the car and listen to what it tells us. I wouldn't let a clean Carfax influence more than 5% of my final decision.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:13 AM
jb26jb
Racer

I sold my '99 Oean Blue 996 with aero and 44k on the clock for a little over 30k, it was in much better conditiion than that car keep looking you can do better.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 AM
timn420
AutoX

Thanks everyone for your help! I've also learned that the wheels and rims had been replaced partly because the previous wheels were warped and would vibrate at higher speeds. Sound kindof odd though. Even though its decently priced I'm going to have to pass on this one.

Quick Reply: Need opinion on 99 C2. Would you buy this car?