996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 last of Porsche styling mystique?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clearly any Porsche {Model X} vs. {Model Y} is based ENTIRELY on opinion, and based on this thread, we have had the full spectrum

For me, it is all about the lights. I absolutely love the 996 lights, however, not the 99-01 lights, the '02 "turbo-look" facelift. As my first Porsche, I absolutely HAD to have something with those lights, which in my case narrowed it down to an '02 or newer 996. I used to love the 993, but when the 996 came out, the shape instantly looked dated.

That being said, I too don't like the 997. The front lights, whilst a throwback to 'classic 911-ness', are merely OK, and all the silver bits in the interior don't work for me.

The only 997 that I like is the GT3RS - but it has to be in that awesomely unique orange.

My 2 cents
Olaf
Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Targa
I hated this post when it was first made and I still hate it now that it is bizarrely resurrected. I hate it because I read too much of this 'our cars are the best cars' crap over on the aircooled boards. I really am a Porsche nut because I love em all, right down to the 914's and the Cayennes (yes I said it). they are all done with style and awesome engineering execution.
I'll drink to that......
Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

How can you not like this look? All Porsches are great! Just give it time to sink in.
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hardly think the 997TT's stock wheels are "blingy" and the LED turn signals "ricey" or more appropriately, "bratwursty".

We're all splitting some serious hairs here, though, so before some of you get your panties in a bunch, just know it's nothing personal. We're critiquing cars, not human beings.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:24 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

well the 997s are proving to be quiet popular because Porsha is selling a boat load every year.
Which is driving down the cost of the 996s.

This is all great news to me because I don't want to pay allot for 2002-2004 996, which I believe is the most modern and beautiful design for the 911.
The front end and interior designs for the 997, Cayman and 987 Boxster have not won me over nearly two years on now. I wasn't crazy about the 99-01 996 or the my Boxster initially but it didn't take two years to grow on me either!
The thing that I liked the most about the 996 was that it was uniquely Porsche, no other car had this style of headlights and interior. I was never a fan of the 911 growing up because it was too similar to a Volkwagen. I know they share some history but I felt the 928 and 944 had forward thinking and exciting looks. You would never confuse those cars with a VW. And don't get me started on the 997 GT3, its a stylistic mess like if a VW Bug and and a RX8 spawned an ugly child.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:54 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I hardly think the 997TT's stock wheels are "blingy" and the LED turn signals "ricey" or more appropriately, "bratwursty".
Perhaps. Either way, the 997TT came up short in the design department IMO. It should've looked more like the GT3. Nearly all of it's distinct styling items look like an afterthought. The wheels are mediocre at best. It is the only 997 design that hasn't completely won me over - the rest are off the hook (great).

Last edited by J-RAD; 05-17-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Some of you guys talk as if cars are supposed to be lightly depreciating assets and try to sniff in the wrong places as to the reasons why some get hit harder than others... headlight shape, new models selling boat loads...

Dude, it's a piece of machinery. It wears down over time. You can beat on it. You can crash it. Paint chips. Things scrape. Leather gets shiny and shows wrinkles. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

If you like a paticular model, go for it with the last thing on your mind being how much am I going to lose on this one.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by J-RAD
Perhaps. Either way, the 997TT same up short in the design department IMO. It should've looked more like the GT3. Nearly all of it's distinct styling items loo like an afterthought. The wheels are mediocre at best. It is the only 997 design that hasn't completely won me over - the rest are off the hook.
All Porsche wheels look mediocre compared to what's available in the aftermarket so it's obsolete to me.

I'd pick that 997TT all day everyday - it looks fantastic, but then I'd be modding it up a bit... which leads to the point... beauty eye holder blah blah wuh?

I like some more than others, but mostly i like them all
Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
03Targa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
How can you not like this look? All Porsches are great! Just give it time to sink in.
Honestly, I like it! My wife thought I was crazy because there was a robin's egg blue caymen on ebay a few months back that I really liked. I thought it was cool, modern but the color also was a bit of a throwback at the same time. Bottom line, NICE CAR!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 PM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by palladio
Interesting debate. I might as well put on my flame suit and and say that I don't think any of the 911's are particularly "beautiful" in a pure aesthetic sense. I have an acqaintance who is a life long car junkie and as a kid I can remember drooling over all his cars. However, I didn't continue to drool over the 911, the 930 or the later P turbos that went through the garage after I saw them next to the Ferrari 308, the Testarossa, and the 550 Maranello that also shared the same space over the years.

To me the 911 has always looked a bit like a glorified VW beetle. What made the design great to me was not so much looks, but the purist germanic "form follows function" design and the fact that Porsche honed the design subtly over 40 years rather than feeling the need to come out with whatever was "fashionable" at the moment. The design has stood the test of time better than any other in automotive history, which is clearly evident in the high resale values of 911's from every era. You can barely give away one of their 928 flagship cars now, and 944's and other odd variants haven't fared much better in terms of resale (not that they all weren't great cars from a pure driving/engineering perspective).

In my opinion, the 993 Turbo is probably the ultimate expression of the model thus far. I didn't like the 996 much when it came out, just too flat sided and not "curvy" enough for my taste. The design grew on me in time, however, and I have come to love the C4s and TT variants. I respect them in that it was Porsche's attempt to continue to modernize the 911 form within a basic framework. I have yet to warm to the 997. The base model looks better than the 996 from the rear end (more curves!), but the front end and headlights seem to be a step back in a way. It's as if Porsche said "gee we need to make this car more like the 993 because people are complaining" rather than just keeping with the form follows function path of evolution. When designers consciously aim for a "retro" look, to me it's a bit self-conscious and at times just plain silly (anyone here want a '96 T-bird?).

So maybe I'll eventually warm up to the front end of the 997, but for now, my vote still goes to the 993 and 996 C4's and TT's.
+1
Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I like the 997 looks generally particularly in GT3 form, but I think they missed an opportunity with the 997 C4S to make it distinct like the 996 C4S. I actually prefer the lights of the MKII 996's over the retro treatment on the 997; but I must be one of the only ones.
The 997 TT exterior is a bit fussy with those ricey LED turn signals and the blingy wheels. the angled cut line from the rear bumper to the quarter panel looks arbitrary; should have stayed horizontal like all previous generations IMHO.
While the interior quality of the 997 is excellent (particularly with the full leather), the design leaves me a little cold; a little to generic missing some of the idiosyncrasies that all 911 (yes even the 996) have had over the years. I love the new seats though. Sports Chrono hump looks like an afterthought and should be better integrated into the IP.
In the end, I like all generations of the 911 with all their faults and foibles. The question is: if the 997 embraced "retro" or "heritage" styling, where do you evolve from there? Back to the more modern looking 996?
I agree with you on all points, and especially the fussiness of the TT exterior. The 997 is the first model where I actually prefer the looks of base model over the Turbo.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:46 PM
bstaneland
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you that bash on the 996 headlights calling them scrambled eggs and such, take a look at photos of the short-lived, but hugely successful, 904 racer. Even though it was a mid-engined car, you can see the similarities in the headlights. Now one would think that the late-90s headlights were done primarily for the boxster (being also a MR) as a 904 throwback, but we're still talking true Porsche racing heritage in the styling. Why not use the same front clip on the 996? It's too bad that some people were so stuffy that they didn't want their 996 to look like a Boxster. When did P-car owners develop the Ferrari-snob stigma? Porsches are Porsches, even the 924.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:36 PM
USS TT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ncp
Guys, reading through this thread, I'm reminded of the overwhelming negative response that came about at the debut of the 996 back in 98/99. And it wasn't just the syling that had Porsche rocked back on it's heels. The last of an air cooled, hand built icon was gone. The raw, visceral feel so characteristic of the Porsche legend went by the wayside. If you've never driven a 993 or previous model, then you have no idea what I'm speaking of.

It's interesting to hear comments that the 997 styling just doesn't cut it. Because the 997 is supposedly Porsche's answer to the critics of the 996 that have complained all along that Porsche "took all the lines out of the car," namely, out of the 993.

Coming from a 993, my first experience into a 996 was extremely "underwhelming" and for the first time ever in a Porsche, I felt as if I had just stepped into a Japanese import with a Porsche crest on the hood.

Once again, if you've never driven an older model Porsche, then I suggest you take the time to do so (say a 964 or 993 Turbo). I think you'd find the whole experience to be eye popping. And if you think that going from a 996 to a 997 is like stepping into a Japanese import, wait until you experience the difference between the last of the air cooled, hand built jobs and your 996.

For what it's worth... just some added some perspective.

Cheers

like the pics, they are a collector's item, as the new building hadn't even broken ground
Old 05-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep in mind, the average joe on the street can't tell a 996 from a 997. In reality they look very similar.

Here's a funny take on the similarities from Clarkson.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2inT7QOyCSQ
Old 05-18-2007, 01:26 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by bstaneland
For those of you that bash on the 996 headlights calling them scrambled eggs and such, take a look at photos of the short-lived, but hugely successful, 904 racer. Even though it was a mid-engined car, you can see the similarities in the headlights. Now one would think that the late-90s headlights were done primarily for the boxster (being also a MR) as a 904 throwback, but we're still talking true Porsche racing heritage in the styling. Why not use the same front clip on the 996? It's too bad that some people were so stuffy that they didn't want their 996 to look like a Boxster. When did P-car owners develop the Ferrari-snob stigma? Porsches are Porsches, even the 924.
I always wondered why the 996 and Boxster had to be named differently. With the cars having so many identical parts from the seats forward, I would have just called the Boxster the Carrera Roadster, Carrera MR or something....That way they could have put in the 3.6 and 3.8 engines into the Boxster without marketing "concerns". I remember having to explain to the parking attendant when I first got the car that it wasn't a 911.. like the 01 996 in the same silver and red parked nearby. he looked at me like I was pulling his leg.

Quick Reply: 996 last of Porsche styling mystique?