What to look out for when buying a 996

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VR4 Playa
lol, don't you speak english too?

just playin, but I guess it'll be a good way for me to brush up on the ol' Spanish, not that I didn't get enough practice a few weeks ago when I was in Spain(probably moreso than the German practice I'm supposed to get EVERYDAY in Vienna)

I'm sure you'll like this pic, being from Madrid....

Nice pic

It's in "Puerta del Sol" ... hahaha we can translate more or less as Sun's Gateway. You are in front of "El Oso y el Madroño" . It's a typical autochthonous tree, and one of the bears who lived here some centurys ago. In this important place we hace the Zero Kilometre point. All the roads in Spain have their first meassure point , here in Puerta del Sol
Old 04-29-2007, 01:59 PM
VR4 Playa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, all I knew is that it was the symbol of Madrid, I got a keychain last time I was there but the symbol fell off so I had to get another one this time.... lovely city and awesome atmosphere!!!!

Only bad part is like last time I didn't get to go out... last time was 5yrs ago and I was w/ a HS tour group(even though I had just graduated) and had to abide by a curfew, this time, I was on a tight schedule and trying to fit as many cities as I could into a 2-week trip and in fact as part of a presentation I have to do for a History of German-Speaking Culture course, I had to visit El Escorial... which I of course didn't have enough time to see as well... but it's interesting since it was a Hapsburg castle, and well the Hapsburgs are pretty important to Austria, let alone the rest of Europe

And back to the topic... as far as translation goes, I know first-hand as that is the basis of my studies in German and it is definitely not easy!!!!

But it beats what I used to do... engineering... and it also forces me to work in my own field to become successful instead of just settling for some pointless corporate dead-end engineering job just 'cause it pays decent money coming out of school
Old 04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
club411
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is on Ebay and is a very clean example... Check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...08204839QQrdZ1
Old 04-29-2007, 04:40 PM
rleeq
Racer

Don't buy anything from the SE states

obviously the SE is a bad spot since there's a lot of "shady" ppl in these states, I know from experience since that's where most of our shady business clients come from.

I live on the coast. While it’s true there was massive flooding from Hurricane Katrina the flooding was only along the coast and not all SE states. Flooding doesn’t just happen in just SE states does it? Instead of labeling SE states as states to avoid you could advise buyers to check for signs of flooding. Look for rust and corrosion in place that normally don’t get these problems i.e. under the dash, seats, and hood. Look for dried mud and grass in recessed areas and look for signs of recent carpet or upholstery work etc…
And it is just plain WRONG that “obviously the SE is a bad spot” for anything above and beyond any other region. Where do you get your information to make such a blanket statement?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:35 PM
VR4 Playa
Advanced

I thought the ppl in the SE that actually have money invest it in Vettes, Vipers, Muscle-cars, and my all-time fav the Monte Carlo Dale Earnhardt Edition...

I feel ya, I work for an online pharmacy and our worst clients are from SE states as well as wonderful southern states like Kentucky and Tennessee... in fact we don't even do KY anymore 'cause of all the trouble... not to mention the FDA won't allow it anymore!
Old 04-29-2007, 11:55 PM
lexpilot
Racer

My car is now for sale. I've sold some property that I owned outright and I am getting a 2006 Carrera Coupe.
1999 Arctic Silver Carrera. No RMS. Meticulously maintained by active PCA member. Has had the typical 1999 replacements: coolant tank, seat belt receptacles, and Optima battery. Shown by me at show and shine events. Has good options that are not all common: #220 locking differential, #222 traction control, #224 active brake differential, #413 turbo look 18" wheels, recent tires, 3 spoke steering wheel.
The only reason it is for sale is because I made a pile of money this year and at 61 I am feeling my own mortality. Price is $29,500 for a car that is worth 5 grand more.
See my autotrader ad: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ice=&cardist=2
Old 04-30-2007, 01:55 AM
M3killa
Banned

at the end of the day, it's an oil lieak. not catostropic, not a big deal. If you like the car, buy it! The 3.4's and the 3.6's both have the problem and both can have failure. Get what you want and stop the worries.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:56 AM
M3killa
Banned

Originally Posted by club411
Mine is on Ebay and is a very clean example... Check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...08204839QQrdZ1
Dude, your car is way underpriced!!!!! Ebay sucks.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:51 AM
VR4 Playa
Advanced

lexpilot... thanks for putting another beautiful example in my face that I can't yet have

Then again, as long as this thread keeps going, I'm sure I'll find that perfect 99-00 996 C2 w/ a few mods/options in the $28-32k range when I'm ready to buy in the Fall/Winter... after I've worked off some of the debt I'm racking up here in Vienna!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:26 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

When I started Carrera shopping, I test drove two 2003 Carreras on the same day, both with similar mileage and both were CPO'ed. They were as different as day and night. One had a stiff shifter, the other was light and easy to shift. One had a firm clutch, the other was lighter. Even the exhaust sounded different between the two cars. I could go on listing all the differences, but you get the point. I don't know why they were so different, is it "manufacturing variance" or just previous owner use and/or abuse? Since both were CPO'd neither should have been in any accidents (I never checked the Carfax on the "bad" car). One was like driving a beefier version of my Boxster, the other was more like driving a truck.

That was when I decided that I would not buy a car without driving it. Options and price are meaningless to me if it doesn't feel good. After driving a few more cars, I found one that felt great and the decision to buy was easy. I would encourage you to drive a few and if it feels right, and the PPI checks out, then you have found a car you might want to own.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:05 PM
VR4 Playa
Advanced

exactly... buying a car sight-unseen is a very bad proposal, especially when it's a car like Porsche, where the previous owner could've either babied it too much and kept it as a garage queen, meaning the seals could be in danger due to lack of use OR it could have been driven to hell and the only way to tell would be to drive it first, obviously no way to tell in pictures how hard the clutch was dropped or the tires spun(especially if they got new tires to hide all the possible suspension/wheel bearing problems associated w/ such harsh driving!)
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Jonas007
Instructor

Lexpilot, for some reason I can't send you a PM, so I'm posting here instead.

A few questions on your 911. Since I'm from Canada, I want to get as many questions answered before I took a flight down somewhere to check out the vehicle.

1) Do you have all the service history of the vehicle?
2) Was it a one owner vehicle, and do you have the carfax thing to show no collisions, salavges, etc.?
3) Were all recall/warranty items fixed, and can you get a letter from the porsche dealer stating recalls are fixed? (This is required by CDN customs to get a US car registered over here)
4) What if any real problems are on there with this vehicle...even small things, like annoying rattles, etc., just want to be fully informed before checking it out.
5) Do you have more pictures of the car, interior, etc.?

Anyway that should be a decent start, thanks,

-Jon
Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Jonas007
Instructor

A couple more questions I forgot:

6) When was the clutch last replaced (if at all)?
7) Was the car ever raced, etc.?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:09 PM
bstaneland
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M3killa
EXACTLY, you are shopping worn out cars. Ebay is the stomping ground for stuff people can't retail or don't want. The same goes for auctions. Find a nice example from an enthusiest or dealer.
I disagree with the ebay comment. Although I dislike ebay normal, the motors portion is OK; afterall, I just sold a car on ebay. Dealer maintained, like new condition, awesome price. I just wanted it to sell without hassles. Granted, the buyer was from a forum that I had also posted on.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:15 PM
bstaneland
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
My specs for shopping right now (I'm searching for a good 02/03):
- Don't buy anything from the SE states
Why not from the SE states? Is there something you know? Please share.

Quick Reply: What to look out for when buying a 996