996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Key?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:07 PM
NOBY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The key Im getting with the car I purchased from the US is falling apart the last owner even taped it and its the only key left.

New key here in sweden from Porsche cost 350 USD!!!!

Is there anyway for me to be able to buy one in the USA ready to go?

Regards // Norbert
Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NOBY
The key Im getting with the car I purchased from the US is falling apart the last owner even taped it and its the only key left.

Is there anyway for me to be able to buy one in the USA ready to go?

Regards // Norbert
I guess you could get one off ebay (with the original code) and get your dealer to program it, if they are willing to do that for you. Ask them first. Or, get an Indy who can program it.

Getting the key from a dealer here is too much hassle. They ask for driver's licence, ID, etc, for security measures. Which I don't really mind, as it's a good thing for us owners.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:23 PM
NOBY
Pro

Ive looked on ebay but cannot find a brand new key, all of them are used or am I looking wrong?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by NOBY

Are you sure the dealer understands that you need ONLY the remote key head? You can pull your metal key shaft out of the old head and insert it in the new one.

Before you buy a remote key head from the US, be sure there it is compatible with "rest of world" electronics. I seem to remember that, for the door locking function, the ROW keys use a different frequency than that used by US keys.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Ask them first. Or, get an Indy who can program it.
Only a dealer can obtain the necessary information from Porsche to mate a new key transponder to a car's computer.

I use an indy for all other PST2 functions, but had to go to the dealer to get keys mated.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 PM
03Targa
Instructor

Sorry, but I think you are SOL. If it's any consolation, I know how you feel. Say, while we're talking, I have an umbrella I want to sell ya?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My god what have i started???
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
Only a dealer can obtain the necessary information from Porsche to mate a new key transponder to a car's computer.

I use an indy for all other PST2 functions, but had to go to the dealer to get keys mated.
My Indy can order new keys, and he can program or reprogram keys with his PST2.
I found that out from him after I got mine from the dealer.
In fact, I still have to let him reprogram my new key that the dealer couldn't get done right.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
My Indy can order new keys, and he can program or reprogram keys with his PST2.
I found that out from him after I got mine from the dealer.
In fact, I still have to let him reprogram my new key that the dealer couldn't get done right.
you need to give us the name of the dealer.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by gota911
OUCH!!! Sounds like they shoved an umbrella up there, poped it open, then pulled it out!

TIM, that and the use of the phrase "reach around" within the space of three posts is appalling!

shame on you!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:43 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pl
you need to give us the name of the dealer.
Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville, Florida.
And they even tried to tell me they couldn't program it right coz' the memory control module under my seat needs to be replaced, $1000 PLUS labor, AND NO guarantee that will solve the problem! (WTF!?)
My original key still works fine with any new or old memory setting, so I'm not buying that explaination they gave me. Besides, I don't adjust my seat as I'm the only one driving, so I'm not spending $1000 PLUS labor, and MAYBE then they'd be able to do the programming right.

Anyway, my Indy told me he has heard of that scenario before several times, where dealers couldn't program new keys correctly to work with the car memory settings. It's a step that they miss out or not do correctly. He said he can try reprogramming the key, and IF it really is the memory control module that is faulty, he will simply disable the key-to-car memory function. (Problem with new key is, when disarming the car, the driver's seat goes all the way back and seatback goes all the way down. It won't recall my personal settings like my original key does.)
Old 04-10-2007, 04:35 AM
NOBY
Pro

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
Are you sure the dealer understands that you need ONLY the remote key head? You can pull your metal key shaft out of the old head and insert it in the new one.

Before you buy a remote key head from the US, be sure there it is compatible with "rest of world" electronics. I seem to remember that, for the door locking function, the ROW keys use a different frequency than that used by US keys.
No I need a whole new key as I only have one key and if something happends to it , IM screwed!

And my car is from the US as said.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Iggypop
Three Wheelin'

Try getting a new key for a 928, guys. You might as well fly to stuttgart to pick it up, you'll spend less on the flight than on the key.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Chuck, I am resurecting this thread for you!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shop around.

Originally Posted by JC3D
So is this correct?

My key remote stopped working and my shop doesn't reprogram them. The stealership is trying to charge me $77 to reprogram it or $220 for a new one.

Is this really what it costs? Or is Beverly Hills Porsche trying to overcharge me again?

Quick Reply: New Key?