New Key?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:22 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Key?

So is this correct?

My key remote stopped working and my shop doesn't reprogram them. The stealership is trying to charge me $77 to reprogram it or $220 for a new one.

Is this really what it costs? Or is Beverly Hills Porsche trying to overcharge me again?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:27 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Call Sunset and ask for a quote:

http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php

You probably cannot get a key cheaper than what Sunset quote you.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The local dealership in this area charges approx. $175.00 for a new key and approx. $50.00 to reprogram. Everything for these cars is expensive, especially from the dealership.

Good luck!!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a bunch of places on ebay offering to sell you blank keys and remotes for a discount - the catch, of course, is you still gotta go to the dealer to get it cut & programmed.

Has anybody ever done this? Did the dealer actually cut it and reprogram it for you for the same price as if you'd bought the key from them, or do they give you a hard time?

Thanks,

- Nick
Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
I've seen a bunch of places on ebay offering to sell you blank keys and remotes for a discount - the catch, of course, is you still gotta go to the dealer to get it cut & programmed.
the problem with this is that the key you have it for YOUR car. If you buy one of the "used" key on eBay*you are just buying a nice piece of jewelry. The only way to replace your key is to buy from the dealer or buy a "shell" and then transfer your key (metal portion) and the internals (brains/crystal) and have them reprogrammed.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:23 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I bought my key from the dealer, and they charged me half hour labor to program it, which they couldn't get it right till today.

From what I understand, keys you buy on ebay will not work, UNLESS they come with the code that is unique to the key. There is a lable attached to new keys with a long list of numbers (or barcode? I can't remember). That is needed to program the key.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
I bought my key from the dealer, and they charged me half hour labor to program it, which they couldn't get it right till today.

From what I understand, keys you buy on ebay will not work, UNLESS they come with the code that is unique to the key. There is a lable attached to new keys with a long list of numbers (or barcode? I can't remember). That is needed to program the key.
Exactly. Here is what came attached to the key for my GT3. If you don't have these you are buying nothing other than a piece of jewelry.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JC3D
So is this correct?

My key remote stopped working and my shop doesn't reprogram them. The stealership is trying to charge me $77 to reprogram it or $220 for a new one.

Is this really what it costs? Or is Beverly Hills Porsche trying to overcharge me again?
I paid $60 for the program and about $100 for a replacement head, you can reuse the blade.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Yes you can re-use the blade but if you lose your key then you pay the higher amount since a new one has to be cut and only PCNA will give that info to your dealer.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:33 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
Did the dealer actually cut it and reprogram it for you for the same price as if you'd bought the key from them, or do they give you a hard time?
My dealer didn't give me a hard time. He flat-out refused to program a key bought somewhere else. (Herb Chambers Porsche in Boston, if anyone cares.)

I was so appalled by the price for a new key from them that I've been living without the remote. I'll give in soon, I'm sure.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:43 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just paid 125 for program and 250 for a remote head..... F ME!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Reid.....was that with or without vasoline
Old 04-04-2007, 05:11 PM
ReidN
Pro

I am so pissed right now. I have been gone for the last 2 months. I get back remote refuses to come back to life. So I take it to my dealer yes the same one who was going to replace my serpintine belt on my 60K, charged me for it and did not do it. When I caught it when I got home and went in the next day and asked why it was not done they said "Oh we did not have one in stock". To this I said "When were you going to tell me about this?" reply "Oh I am sorry but your service advisor is not in today." Classic!!! But back to our story. So they attempt to re-program and it does not take (are you kiddin me!) Yes, so they sell me new head and re-program for 325 OTD F ME!!! But my new mats look great as does my RENNLIST plate frame! So there you go.....
Old 04-04-2007, 05:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

great rationalization
Old 04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
ReidN
Pro

Long live the MODS!!!

Quick Reply: New Key?