Sponsored by:

JICs arrived yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 06:09 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JICs arrived yesterday

Received my JIC/Cross Competition Coilovers yesterday. Went with 7/11 springs after discussing my needs with a JIC rep., and got a killer deal from the shop I ordered them from. I'll post post installation pics when they're in.
Attached Images     
Old 04-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

hey .... very nice...... keep us up to date.....
Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 PM
auto-xr
Racer

I finally got around to installing my new JIC coilovers and rear strut bar this past weekend and I attached some pics (excuse the crummy pictures but all I had on me at the time was my camera phone). The JIC installation wasn't too bad although it was tedious. It took longer than I think it should have taken because the ride height adjustment was not preset from the factory like it was supposed to be (I spent about 5 hours a day on Sunday and Monday). Adjusting the ride height requires having to disassemble almost everything in order to make the change. While this is a PIA, it is nice to have independent ride height adjustability. At this point, I can make the adjustments a little faster so I going to do a little more tweaking. I want to raise the front end up 1/8 - 1/4" (I'm little concerned that the stock sway bars could be preloaded) and also lessen the negative camber. The next thing would be to figure out what dampening setting will work for me. In regard to the rear strut bar, I don't really know if it will actually do anything for the car since its chassis is already pretty stiff. It cost $40 so I figured why not. I also have some GT3 sway bars to install, but I want to hold off the installation for now. I want to evaluate the handling of the car at an autocross before adding another thing. I'll post an update on my driving impressions after I have more time to mess around with the car.
Attached Images          
Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

any driving impressions?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:32 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Initially, I set the dampening to full soft on both the front and rear and the car feels bouncy/floaty in the front. I still need to figure out what the proper dampening settings are. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:39 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

I'm about 1/2 done with the JIC install in my 993. I too have the 7/11 (or maybe it's 12.. hm. I'll have to look again) springs.

I set the rear to +4 (from full soft) and the rear felt pretty good in the test drive I did yesterday. Now I need to get the front installed (the car looks pretty funy with the rear dropped down pretty good and the front at full 4x4 height).

I did caps, rotors, belts and a couple of other repairs at the same time so my need to test drive and make sure I did not screw up the other work, was more important that the horrid look of the car with it's butt dragging. The road where I live is pretty bumpy and I had not nasty harshness from the rear, I hope the front set at +4 is about the same.

The JIC CROSS system is pretty cool!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:47 PM
zose
Advanced

I had the JIC's installed as well along with some H&R sway bars and adjustable drop links on the rear. I can tell you I think they are amazing. I went with slightly lighter springs, I think they were 6/10, I'll check to make sure. Again, I believe I'm set at 4 rear and 6 front. This is the way the installer set it up and it is handling great. I've taken it to the local track a few times and it totally transforms the car. I'll post some pics of my car with the new ride height when I get to my home computer.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zose
I had the JIC's installed as well along with some H&R sway bars and adjustable drop links on the rear. I can tell you I think they are amazing. I went with slightly lighter springs, I think they were 6/10, I'll check to make sure. Again, I believe I'm set at 4 rear and 6 front. This is the way the installer set it up and it is handling great. I've taken it to the local track a few times and it totally transforms the car. I'll post some pics of my car with the new ride height when I get to my home computer.

Did the stiffer setup cause and rattling from the targa roof?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:22 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Mike, I'll try those settings and let you know how it goes.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 AM
zose
Advanced

I haven't had any rattles in my roof. I get a few more in the car in general with the stiffer suspension but certainly nothing that wouldn't be expected.

Here's a couple of picture of the new stance of my car.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Mike - the lowered stance l@@ks great! I'll bet it handles as good as it looks!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 PM
zose
Advanced

It actually handles better than it looks. The suspension has transformed the car. It is amazingly stable, not harsh at all, and overall just makes it a different car. I've been extremely impressed with the suspension. Now to qualify this, I have never had another aftermarket suspension on any other car. So I really don't have any basis for comparison. I do love what I have, so I'm happy enough with that.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 PM
auto-xr
Racer

I thought about it and figured I should posts some notes on my installation. I used RamVA’s PSS9 installation DIY but did some things slightly different.

Per RamVA’s DIY (Thanks RamVA!)

Front Prep:
“3. Break the top bolt on the spindle. You ideally want to use a 21mm hazet socket so you can hold the spindle in place with the 7mm Allen. I didn’t have one so I just broke the bolt so I could get it off once the strut was off the car. It helps to do this before you drop the strut out as it’s really, really tight.”

I didn’t want to break the bolt and I didn’t have a hazet socket so a friend suggested taking off the lower control arm (16mm/18mm) from the car side along with the secondary control arm (18mm/21mm). This worked perfectly. Note you’ll have to partially take off the underside aero panel. Also to make it easier to manipulate the spindle, I took the rotor off. This was pretty much a “must do” to get the arm aligned when I was reassembling everything.

Rear Prep:
“3. Undo the 15mm bolts on the top (inside the car). Because of the spring pressure the strut won’t fall out. Get back underneath and use something to lever the lower part of the strut out of the mount. You need to lever it toward the inboard side of the car. Using a jack under the strut will help to relieve some of the spring pressure, but this took some elbow grease.”

I had the luxury of having spring compressors available, so I compressed the spring to relieve the pressure off of the strut. This helped a lot.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2007, 03:02 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you acknowledge this online but not when I told you in person? Who's your daddy?

Stop sharing all the lil tricks on installs. Everyone should follow the Porsche manual to the teeth since they know best. I'm a little disappointed how long this took you since it is much less tedious than a Honda.

Last edited by springgeyser; 05-31-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

hey mike....are you 1 finger gap all the way around?

Quick Reply: JICs arrived yesterday