Sponsored by:

Certified Warranty date off

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certified Warranty date off

Had my car in for some warranty work today. I know I am getting close to the 2 year mark of purchasing it, so I asked exactly when do I come off as I want to do a final service right at the end. Was pleasantly surprised to find out that somehow Porsche started my warranty 6 months after I bought the car. Therefore their computer shows me not coming off the warranty until six months later than I thought. Since I bought the car after the original new car warranty was already expired, it should have only been two years from date of purchase.

All in all it was a pleasant surprise for me. The service manager assured me that they will go with what the system says. So I guess I have another six months to not worry about any major problems.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:43 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent! Wonder why they are off. You sure the car was completely off factory warranty when you bought it?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by AndyK
Excellent! Wonder why they are off. You sure the car was completely off factory warranty when you bought it?
Yes, the print out clearly showed the original warranty expiration date. It was purchased new late 1998 and I bought it in 2005. The original owner traded it in right after it came off of new car warranty.

The service manager was just as surprised about the error as me. He was the one that pointed it out to me. He went into the computer and went through it with me to make sure what got printed out was what was in the system. I asked him if I should worry about the error being corrected, but he thinks that is highly unlikely at this point.

I do remember that it took a long time to get my welcome letter from Porsche when I bought the car. It came about 6 months after I bought it. At the time I just thought they were real slow. I guess what happened is that either the dealership messed up sending in the paperwork or Porsche just punched it in wrong.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:04 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool! Free peace of mind for another half year!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
PJunkie
Intermediate

perhaps now would be a good time to check into an after market warranty. I believe they are less expensive while under 40K (if you are) and starting right after CPO.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:14 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by PJunkie
perhaps now would be a good time to check into an after market warranty. I believe they are less expensive while under 40K (if you are) and starting right after CPO.
Nice idea but I drive my car and am about to hit 83,000. I am afraid I am going to have go naked when it is over.

Because we were checking the computer I got a chance to see all of the work that had been done on my car since new. Over the 83,000 miles my car has never had RMS, did the front brakes at 60,000, the rears at 70,000, replaced the coolant tank at 30,000, did the seat belt sensor fix at 40,000, fixed a leak at the spark plugs at 65,000, and a couple of other minor things. The extended warranty has probably only saved me around a $1000 over the last two years. Still I sleep better at night with it and will miss it when it finally expires.

All in all I seem to have gotten a really strong 1999. It does show Porsche is still building some solid cars.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:43 AM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmillnj
Had my car in for some warranty work today. I know I am getting close to the 2 year mark of purchasing it, so I asked exactly when do I come off as I want to do a final service right at the end. Was pleasantly surprised to find out that somehow Porsche started my warranty 6 months after I bought the car. Therefore their computer shows me not coming off the warranty until six months later than I thought. Since I bought the car after the original new car warranty was already expired, it should have only been two years from date of purchase.

All in all it was a pleasant surprise for me. The service manager assured me that they will go with what the system says. So I guess I have another six months to not worry about any major problems.

Make sure you have that in writing, and don't "correct" their error!

Quick Reply: Certified Warranty date off