Sponsored by:

Replacement keyless Remotes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Ripped off? You are kidding right? How about the dealer paying over $15k per year for the subscription necessary to own/use the PIWIS? Oh and that's per unit!! It costs what it costs. Find another dealer or aftermarket shop with a PST 2 that will do it for you. You could always use the key to unlock the door, it's free or sell the car and buy a Carrera.

I cannot stand it to hear people claim "ripped off". Noone is forcing you to do anything. You choose to own the car, you choose to want the remote to work and then you choose to fix it or not. Fixing it costs money.
If it only took a PST2 to code the key, Im sure it would cost less...However, no indie can program the key and thus it is a monopoly...

It is for the safety of our cars but you would think on something so limited you wouldn't get such a gouge
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gator911
If it only took a PST2 to code the key, Im sure it would cost less...However, no indie can program the key and thus it is a monopoly...

It is for the safety of our cars but you would think on something so limited you wouldn't get such a gouge
Well, I have a PST2 and code key remotes all the time. What makes you think independents cannot do it? What else do you need besides the PST2/3? Do you even know?

It's a shame that people look at this a a gouge. You pay an hours time to code remotes. The tech is probably getting 20-35 dollars per hour. They should not get paid? How much time do think it takes for him to go get the car, bring it in, power up the PST, get the remote from parts, obtain IPAS codes from PCNA, code the remote/remotes (sometimes it takes two or three attempts to make it stick), rescan the control units and clear the faults that are stored while doing the proceedure, function test the system and park the car and write the story for booking? Trust me, it is not worth it to the tech for just an hour. All the while better paying jobs are sitting around while they go through the routine.

I worked at a Porsche dealer as a tech so I know the drill. You have to pay an hour and the tech has to go through the drawn out procedure. Neither like the situation but you know what? That's just how it is. So stop comparing it to Rovers or M/B or Chevy, they are all different. If other places get less then buy all of your cars from them or just don't use the remote when it fails. That's why they code the ignition key the same as the door.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:05 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An independent shop can get IPAS codes from PCNA?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Why not? It's needed to program the car. When you buy remotes from the dealer give them the vin and ask for the code.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Gator911
Racer

Why not? It's needed to program the car. When you buy remotes from the dealer give them the vin and ask for the code.
Now i could be totally wrong on this but I was told that Porsche will NOT give out the codes, and this is why it HAS to be done at the dealer...

I havent seen anyone on this board have their key programmed by an indy either...

Prove me wrong please...
Old 05-08-2007, 04:02 PM
wrljet
Racer

Because it's in their business interest to only have their dealerships do it, and it's a security hazard to let the codes out into the wild.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
wdempsey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suncoast has these on sale at cost. I am not affiliated with them...

http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php
Old 05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wdempsey
Suncoast has these on sale at cost. I am not affiliated with them...

http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php
Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for. It is great to help instead of just attacked!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by wrljet
Because it's in their business interest to only have their dealerships do it, and it's a security hazard to let the codes out into the wild.
That makes no sense. They (PCNA) is in business to sell. Cars and parts. Parts not just to dealers but to the aftermarket. They are pushing VERY hard in the aftermarket to sell parts due to companies like World Pac and SSF taking their sales by selling the exact same parts at a better discount to wholesale users like me.

The codes are not "out in the wild" as you stated, only given to dealerships that then can pass the necessary info onto shops that require the info with a specific VIN.

FYI, the radio code necessary to unlock a car can be programmed to ANY 986/996 remote with ANY IPAS code. The code on the white tag is only necessary to start the car.

I am providing info here that could be used to help some people understand how the remote process works. If you simply want to hold the Porsche dealerships in this country as evil empires then why did you buy a new Porsche? The same dealer that is "ripping you off" is the dealer that you want help from when a problem comes up. Some of the same dealers that sponser this site for you to complain about them. I am sure the charge to code remotes is not vastly different coast to coast in any large market.

If you feel you have been attacked maybe you should be.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 PM
wrljet
Racer

Well, it makes total sense to me. You say they give them to dealerships who then pass them along to independents... Probably you have an "in" with a particular dealer.

I'm not feeling attacked, nor do I feel Porsche or their dealerships are evil.

But, IMHO, they keep these codes close to the vest to protect their dealers and keep the codes out of the hands of miscreants as I stated previously.

Bill
Old 05-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Gator911
Racer

Why dont you tell us what you do and who you are Chris? You make it seem like you are programming keys all of the time. How do you get the codes and how do you "mate" them to the car?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:30 PM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

Chris,

I don't know you and you sure don't know me. It appears that you are/were a Porsche tech. Therefore you would know more about the exact time required to recode a remote on this car. I only know what I am told and how long it takes on other cars that I have done myself.

What I am qualified to say (business owner, consultant, MBA) is that one of the largest expenses for most consumer based businesses is marketing and the goal of most marketing is customer acquisition. When you post an hourly mechanics rate and then bill simple tasks by the job at a rate above the hourly rate posted then you are going to **** people off. Guess what, pissed off customers will find another service provider and your business will spend heaps of money trying to acquire replacement customers.

In my case that means they will make their profit on the recoding but loose my business when the car goes out of warranty. You can sheer a sheep every year but you can only skin it once.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by swmrdrn
In my case that means they will make their profit on the recoding but loose my business when the car goes out of warranty. You can sheer a sheep every year but you can only skin it once.
Curious, does that mean you'll find a new dealership, or switch to an different marque?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 PM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

New mechanic. This is my second P-car I know what it costs to maintain them. I fact, in the past this dealer would have done things like this for me for free. The staff has changed since my last P-car.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 PM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by swmrdrn
New mechanic. This is my second P-car I know what it costs to maintain them. I fact, in the past this dealer would have done things like this for me for free. The staff has changed since my last P-car.
Well, like you said before, some businesses know how to keep customers and some (most?) don't and are just out to gouge you.

Bill

Quick Reply: Replacement keyless Remotes