Sponsored by:

Replacement keyless Remotes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swmrdrn
When you post an hourly mechanics rate and then bill simple tasks by the job at a rate above the hourly rate posted then you are going to **** people off.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. The service writer tells you it's an hours labor and then they bill you more? It this correct? You should try to straigten this out before you pay the bill and if you can't then you should find another source to do the job as I stated in a prior post. That's is a poor business practice which does lead to your next quote.

Guess what, pissed off customers will find another service provider and your business will spend heaps of money trying to acquire replacement customers.
I know this all too well. I suggested finding a local shop that has a PST2 and have them do the coding. Their hourly rate may be less and thus the job cheaper for the same result.

In my case that means they will make their profit on the recoding but loose my business when the car goes out of warranty. You can sheer a sheep every year but you can only skin it once.
This happens all the time as I am sure you know. If you have a local shop that can service your car, most often the parts are cheaper (for the same parts) and so is the labor.

I am not touching the sheep thing....

Gator, I am a Porsche tech. I work for an independant Porsche shop. I worked for a dealer long enough to go through all of the training with PCNA and stayed until I didn't have to pay back any of the costs of the schools.

I have programmed well over 100 remotes easily. I buy remotes when necessary from the dealer and of course need the IPAS code to program them to the car. Understand that I am not a guy just calling asking for info. I work for a well established shop that buys 10's of thousands of dollars of parts from my dealer. I bought my PST2 from them as well. I need the code to do my job. It is also necessary when replacing alarm control units. Boxsters flood all the time and the control unit is under the drivers seat in the lowest part of the car. It gets wet and smokes. To replace it, it needs to be programmed.

You should have no problem getting IPAS or DME programming codes from the dealer for your car. You may need to provide proof of ownership but it is your car and therefore your codes. I am not a lawyer but I believe if PCNA refuses to give out the codes then they would have to provide the service free of charge. Since they don't do that then shops like me need the info to install and code parts I buy from them. It cannot be done without the car and I am not going to send my customers to the dealer since many of them do not like the dealer for one reason or another.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:36 PM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris - What I am saying is that the service writer states it is only a 10 minute job but that they charge $120 for it. That goes against the posted hourly rate.

I googled you and it looks like you run a nice shop. I wish you were on this coast. I'm going to look for an indy with the correct tool. Already mail ordered the key head.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

this key thing is a rip.......... i say someone out there learn how to hack this and charge us half the price....
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Someone should tell the SW to either shut his mouth or pay the difference.

Thank you, very kind! Check around I bet you will find a shop. Give your VIN to Suncoast; if that's where you bought the remote; and have them give you the IPAS code. That way your new shop can get it done more quickly for you.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with the recent crack down on ipas codes (the techs dont even have access to them only service manager and dealer princapal) your not going to get many dealers handing them out. If a car goes out stolen and a dealer just pulled those ipas codes that wouldnt be very good or the dealer
Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Gator911
Racer

I think what people are looking over is that the reason you get charged an hour is because it is USUALLY a 1hour MINIMUM for any service that a dealer does...
Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
with the recent crack down on ipas codes (the techs dont even have access to them only service manager and dealer princapal) your not going to get many dealers handing them out. If a car goes out stolen and a dealer just pulled those ipas codes that wouldnt be very good or the dealer

That was not true at the dealer I worked at as recent as two weeks ago. Since my ex-SM is still there I should continue to have no problem either way.

Having the IPAS code doesn't get you a car. You still need a key. Breaking the lock cylinder won't get it started.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:04 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

with an ipas code you can steal a car with or without a key, i wont go into how as theres to many want to be theives on here but it could be done very easily
Old 05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
with an ipas code you can steal a car with or without a key, i wont go into how as theres to many want to be theives on here but it could be done very easily
I have my doubts about the accuracy of this statement. Though I have never tried to start a car without a key, everything the I learned at Porsche tells me it's not possible.

Firehawk, what is your backround? Just curious. PM me if you don't wish to post it in public.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:58 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Same but different......

I have only one key for my car.....what is my cheapest way to
get a spare?

TIA,

- Cam
Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Take your key to your Porsche dealer and have them cut a spare for you. Due to the design of the key you need a specialized machine to cut Porsche blanks. I have not tried this any other places and it's possible someone else could do it. I know that the dealer can as they were sent a machine by Porsche as a required tool IIRC.

The other option is to order a stipulated key from Porsche by VIN.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
I have my doubts about the accuracy of this statement. Though I have never tried to start a car without a key, everything the I learned at Porsche tells me it's not possible.

Firehawk, what is your backround? Just curious. PM me if you don't wish to post it in public.

With an ipas code and a tester its possible

my background is very simialr to yours
Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 PM
bonkur
Advanced

So, nobody really answered my question about the Cayenne remote..... They're the same frequency can they be programmed for a 996?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:47 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by bonkur
So, nobody really answered my question about the Cayenne remote..... They're the same frequency can they be programmed for a 996?

no they uses 2 diffrent progaming operations
Old 05-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Have you ever programmed a key remote before? I have and it rarely takes "5 minutes" to do.
Hennessy Porsche in north Atlanta mated 2 key heads for me .... so quickly that the service writer had not gotten back with my cup of Starbucks, yet. As soon as he returned, he billed me just under $50 total for mating the 2 new key heads to my car .... and thanked me for making my first ever visit to his shop.

Quick Reply: Replacement keyless Remotes