Sponsored by:

911 and M3 Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:32 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 911 and M3 Comparisons

I always read lots of posts comparing these two cars, especially when one is considering the purchase of either one. I'm somewhat puzzled and curious as to why that's so. The M3 is a four-seater and granted, the 911 (GT3 excepted) has rear seats but does anyone realistically consider it a four-seater? Although there may some similarities between the 911 and M3, there are other cars that seem to be more comparable to the 911 as a pure sports car, such as the NSX or Corvette. The rarity of the NSX may explain why it's not considered as often, but the Vettes are abundant, produce outstanding power and handle very well at the track. Other than magazine comparison tests, I can't recall ever reading posts comparing the 911 and Vette as purchase choices. So, why aren't more buyers comparing these two instead? Is it more a German vs. American thing (brand conscious)? I'm just interested in hearing some of your thoughts on this.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you nailed it right on the head.

I just can't pull off a Corvette. It's simply too American for me to buy into that image which plays a big part in the buying decision. The interior sux. I don't like the way it looks.

I like the NSX a lot, but just didn't bother because I like certain 911s better.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slaaw
I always read lots of posts comparing these two cars, especially when one is considering the purchase of either one. I'm somewhat puzzled and curious as to why that's so. The M3 is a four-seater and granted, the 911 (GT3 excepted) has rear seats but does anyone realistically consider it a four-seater? Although there may some similarities between the 911 and M3, there are other cars that seem to be more comparable to the 911 as a pure sports car, such as the NSX or Corvette. The rarity of the NSX may explain why it's not considered as often, but the Vettes are abundant, produce outstanding power and handle very well at the track. Other than magazine comparison tests, I can't recall ever reading posts comparing the 911 and Vette as purchase choices. So, why aren't more buyers comparing these two instead? Is it more a German vs. American thing (brand conscious)? I'm just interested in hearing some of your thoughts on this.
Porsche's and M3's have class, Corvette's......................well they don't. (I am a 2-time Ex-Corvette owner)
Old 05-14-2007, 05:03 PM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the big reasons that I got my targa is because I can get all 3 of my sons in the car in a pinch. Those seats may not be comfy but they work!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Molly
Instructor

I have often gone between these two cars in my search for my next sports car. They are priced the same, offer the same performance, similar cost to run, can be used everyday, can be raced, are perfect for those who don't want a common car but who also don't want an exotic, offer European quality / cache, etc. etc. I can't think of much else that compares better than those two.

And I have been in plenty of Corvettes. But somehow they just don't show up on my radar whatsoever. I do like a Z07 but they are really high $$.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slaaw
The M3 is a four-seater and granted, the 911 (GT3 excepted) has rear seats but does anyone realistically consider it a four-seater?
If you are like me, married with one small child, there's no way I'm getting a Vette: besides personal preference, the Vette is out because it has no seats in the back. Ditto, sadly, Porsche GT3.

Yes, 911 is a four-seater for those who usually drives alone but has a child or two. Thank goodness Professor Porsche decided to stick with the 2+2 layout 40+ years ago.

And there's some truth to the German car vs Americano issue. Maybe I am stereotyping the Vette's image, or perpetuating the old image, but I just don't feel hairy-chested and gold-medallioned enough to want to own a Corvette.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Well, the M3 is quite sporty considering it's got 4 seats. I drove one this weekend since we're shopping a convertible for my girlfriend (who was intimidated by the M3, looks like we'll go 325 for her which is a lot tamer).

So the M3 convertible was great, I loved the SMG _concept_ and loved the "adjustable shift timings". In reality I prefer the fun factor of the stick shift+clutch but would love the SMG in traffic conditions. The adjustable shift timings are ... great at max !!

Anyways, it handles well, suspension is communicative. The steering isn't that communicative. Overall, I'd say it's several notches below the stock base 996. That is more than made up for by it's 4 seating practicality. So I like that car.

The vette ... their interiors can do better (the C6 is much better FYI). I was looking at the C6 before picking up the 996. So I was "comparing both" before I drove them both. However after driving both, I'd strongly disagree. The C6 is great value, but I loved the precision of the 996 and I've always loved Porsche ever since my father bought me toy cars.

Last edited by Sids911; 05-14-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 PM
hamilton
Instructor

I don't own enough jewelry for a Vette
Old 05-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i think it all boils down yo perception........ if we were on the corvette forum, i'm positive they'll say the same as we are with our beloved porsches, which no one can touch......... but i think it also comes down to rarity.... bmw's are a dime a dozens same with the corvette........ it's your everyday run of the mills kinda car and i don't think too many pcar drivers like to be grouped with that......... so what's the next best bet with LESS ON THE STREET, and has the performance that can out gun most cars on the street straight out of the box, PORSCHE......... i think the next level up from here would have to be the Ferrari's and Lambo's....... and for the ultra rich, you get many ferrari's and lambos with a few pcars on the side......... so we are at the peak of the many, and the start of the few....... WE ARE SPECIAL.............
Old 05-14-2007, 09:14 PM
03Targa
Instructor

Had an M3 before this car. It was our second car and I needed the back seat for the two kids. Once my wife decided she wanted to get a CLK and keep the Denali I was unleashed and in came the p-car. The M3 is way more than a kid hauler. It was awesome at the track. I agree the steering could be a bit more repsonsive and it was about 300-500 pounds overweight but it is supremely designed and seemed to get tighter and more responsive at higher speeds. Pure fun. It's not as much fun as the p-car but they really aren't the same animal and I do still get the kids around in my car but not on long trips. As far as Corvette is concerned. Well over the course of my life I've owned a car from just about every American Car company and frankly I've been let down. It's not just that the engineering isn't up to snuff, or that the parts aren't up to snuff, it's also that you have to take the car back to the chevy dealership which is also just plain horrible. I will continue to buy American trucks because we make those well but I'm not convinced we have the ability to design AND maintain real sports cars. It's just my perception, I know, but it's a perception learned from HARD lessons at the hands of inept dealerships and their repair departments.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

The original poster nailed it, going from an M3 to a 911 is a most logical (and common) progression. The 'vette has never been a consideration for me, even the recent generations which solved the porky factor; they're simply too unrefined, with heinous interiors and dubious quality.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Awww jeeze not this s*** again......

Try a search, you should be able to find around 1,000 previous threads on this.......
Old 05-14-2007, 11:16 PM
M3killa
Banned

he,he,he...........
Old 05-14-2007, 11:26 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ray S
Awww jeeze not this s*** again......

Try a search, you should be able to find around 1,000 previous threads on this.......
Ray, you can search for sure, but I doubt you'll find one that asks the question:

"Why M3 vs 911 and not Corvette vs 911??"

So before you jump to dismiss this thread based on its title only....
Old 05-14-2007, 11:30 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Moogle

05 GT3 Clubsport
03 Boxster S
04 M3 SMG
05 CL55 AMG
06 M5
06 760Li
05 Ducati 749