DONE DEAL! Pulled the trigger on an '02 C4S...PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:12 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DONE DEAL! Pulled the trigger on an '02 C4S...PICTURES

Hi all,

As some of you may know....I've been on the prowl for a 996. Well...finally located what I felt was an irresistable deal. Details as follows:

2002 C4S - Seal Gray
Many options - See Certificate below
Car is Certified as well, has 35K on the odometer
Paid $42,500 (that is the truth)

Totally clean carfax (I know that doesn't mean the world)....this was a trade that came in to the dealer on Saturday.....I found it on tuesday just after it went online. I would think they paid very little to the prior owner. I am the second owner.

Not sure how they let it go so cheap. Something about making numbers for Panamera. I did try to get a PPI, but it didn't pan out. No flaming please. (although I tried very hard, and the potential P-doctor who was going to perform worked there years ago, and advised me that they do a great job with certification, and only certify worthy cars..."they don't mess around and are extremely reputable"). . I know it's a little risky, but I didn't want to pass up the offer. Plus, the car is certified and I have tons and tons of pictures...many up close. Let me know if you think I got a good deal.

These pix were taken by the dealer. I'm in NY....dealer is Porsche Naples. Car is being shipped early next week....will hopefully have it by next weekend. Crossing my fingers. I had a friend go out and look at it...and while he doesn't know too much...he says it's phenomenal.

Thanks,
Jon
Attached Images     
Old 05-18-2007, 08:24 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations, and wow that is a good price! Did you get a PPI done?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:27 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Default Some more pix

Hi...more pix...I love the center console....should have shrank my pix before....ran out of storage....oh well. I'll shrink later if I can to fit more pix. But I didn't want to violate the "picture rule." I have already ordered clear side signals.

I'm so freagin excited.....like a kid in a candy store. If all fares well, I'll post all info. with regard to the dealer, who were fairly easy to work with.

Jon
Attached Images  

Last edited by JBRipps; 05-18-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm. How do I put this without seeming like I'm trying to kill your buzz, cause I'm really not.

If there is one thing I've learned, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Now, if the car is really that clean, and perfect, I ask myself, why would the dealer let it go SO cheap, so fast? Especially because it is a VERY desirable, one owner car?

Then i would say, well..since this deal seems to good, maybe I should do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to make sure it's legit. A great deal, such as this should raise eye-browse. NO WAY would I buy this car without a PPI!! NO-FREAKIN'-WAY!!!

There are some things on the carfax that look wierd to me... Hopefully they are nothing. It claims that it was serviced at 5k miles, 8k miles then serviced at 17k miles, 18k miles and sold the next month in OCT of 2004 and not purchased until a year later, although it's still listed as a one owner car....

Due-diligence my brother, take it from someone who learned the hard way.

Remember, I'm not saying anything is wrong, it may be simply a stellar deal, but you need to slow down, take a breath and get a PPI!!!

Good luck, and NICE find!!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:55 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Arrogant...I hear you loud and clear. I know it's a roll of the dice. When it arrives....I will have it looked at here. I know you are thinking it's way too late for that....but....if there are any issues that weren't disclosed to me....it's going right back to them. I have been reassured over and over....by their GM as well...that this is a non issue car. I asked about the services...they were explained...not big issues. A picky owner....but a very good customer, who has the car shipped to vermont and back for his second home. Could this be a lie? Possibly. As far as the sold on the carfax....not 100 percent sure....but...the title numbers are the same, so I'm not too sure it was actually sold...maybe a lien was satisfied. But I am not one to rely on carfax as many incidents and issues do not appear on them. They are nice if there is actual disclosure though.

I do know that the car did have a minor accident on the driver's side, that was not structural in nature, and was assured that the body work was flawless. Not that much of an expense as the owner paid himself, which explains why it was not reported. I really don't care about that if there is no evidence, and I don't think that would drive the car down in price too much. My buddy concurred, and was unable to notice any indications of work performed.

I guess only time will tell. I must say that they were asking at approx. 48 at first (I think). I offered 42 over the phone. They called back at least 6 times lowering a bit each time...I didn't budge till the end. I was very matter of fact, and the salesman was very young. I never thought they'd come down to my offer....but over a day...they did.

I guess I am a little nervous...but the CAR IS CERTIFIED. If there are issues....they will be addressed. It's that simple. My dealership here is very customer friendly, I think they all are. I was also told by the PPI guy that he has never seen a lemon or a misrepresented car come thru his shop from that dealership. That means a lot to me. I'm hoping this isn't the first.

Again....if something significant is causing this deal to be very low.....It's going back to them if I have to force it down their throats. I'm an attorney...my legal resources are endless. I told them that in a very polite way very early on after we agreed on the price. They have been very tolerant with me, and offered to take the car away from me today after I was being somewhat over hesitant to them.

We'll see, but I am extremely confident with the condition of the car. I certainly understand the concern, and I know it can't be awful to be certified. It looks amazing.....I'll let you know how it feels at 130 m.p.h. If it stays solid...I'm one major happy camper. I know it sounds too good to be true....but this isn't some scummy dealer....it's a Porsche Dealer with a serious rep....something I can smudge if they mess with me. I'm hopin I stole the car for whatever reason.

Best,
Jon
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Arrogant...I hear you loud and clear. I know it's a roll of the dice. When it arrives....I will have it looked at here. I know you are thinking it's way too late for that....but....if there are any issues that weren't disclosed to me....it's going right back to them. I have been reassured over and over....by their GM as well...that this is a non issue car. I asked about the services...they were explained...not big issues. A picky owner....but a very good customer, who has the car shipped to vermont and back for his second home. Could this be a lie? Possibly. As far as the sold on the carfax....not 100 percent sure....but...the title numbers are the same, so I'm not too sure it was actually sold...maybe a lien was satisfied. But I am not one to rely on carfax as many incidents and issues do not appear on them. They are nice if there is actual disclosure though.

I do know that the car did have a minor accident on the driver's side, that was not structural in nature, and was assured that the body work was flawless. Not that much of an expense as the owner paid himself, which explains why it was not reported. I really don't care about that if there is no evidence, and I don't think that would drive the car down in price too much. My buddy concurred, and was unable to notice any indications of work performed.

I guess only time will tell. I must say that they were asking at approx. 48 at first (I think). I offered 42 over the phone. They called back at least 6 times lowering a bit each time...I didn't budge till the end. I was very matter of fact, and the salesman was very young. I never thought they'd come down to my offer....but over a day...they did.

I guess I am a little nervous...but the CAR IS CERTIFIED. If there are issues....they will be addressed. It's that simple. My dealership here is very customer friendly, I think they all are. I was also told by the PPI guy that he has never seen a lemon or a misrepresented car come thru his shop from that dealership. That means a lot to me. I'm hoping this isn't the first.

Again....if something significant is causing this deal to be very low.....It's going back to them if I have to force it down their throats. I'm an attorney...my legal resources are endless. I told them that in a very polite way very early on after we agreed on the price. They have been very tolerant with me, and offered to take the car away from me today after I was being somewhat over hesitant to them.

We'll see, but I am extremely confident with the condition of the car. I certainly understand the concern, and I know it can't be awful to be certified. It looks amazing.....I'll let you know how it feels at 130 m.p.h. If it stays solid...I'm one major happy camper. I know it sounds too good to be true....but this isn't some scummy dealer....it's a Porsche Dealer with a serious rep....something I can smudge if they mess with me. I'm hopin I stole the car for whatever reason.

Best,
Jon
Jon,
The fact that the car was in a wreck, is every reason to get a PPI. You just never know. That being said, it looks like you are doing it, and I have confidence that it's a great car, but I'm also X'ing my fingers...

When you do get the car, and it's everything you expected...my brother, you got one HELL of a sweet ride!! I will be the FIRST person to say CONGRATS!!! and.....
Old 05-18-2007, 10:14 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

HEY! That's MY car!
Congrats mann, good deal! I hope all's fine with it, it is very cheap and suspicious though.
But if it's certified, at least that gives you some peace of mind.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:15 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
HEY! That's MY car!
Congrats mann, good deal! I hope all's fine with it, it is very cheap and suspicious though.
But if it's certified, at least that gives you some peace of mind.
ya!!! That CPO really helps, a lot!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:54 PM
mtv65
Advanced

I can't believe what great deals you guys are finding out there! Congrats!!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:15 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good work JB. Reputable dealer, CPO - you have no reason to worry. The dealer doesn't want this dinosaur on the lot with 997's coming out of his ears and the Panamera on the way.

I paid $35K for pretty much the same car and mileage, except mines a C2. Mine is fan-f&%$ing-tastiK. Yours will be too. Enjoy the car.

edit: LOVE that centre console. Mine has some carbon fibre and all, but my centre console is plain. The aluminum is cool.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Shane D
Pro

Thumbs up Wow!

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Hi all,

As some of you may know....I've been on the prowl for a 996. Well...finally located what I felt was an irresistable deal. Details as follows:

2002 C4S - Seal Gray
Many options - See Certificate below
Car is Certified as well, has 35K on the odometer
Paid $42,500 (that is the truth)

Thanks,
Jon
That is SOME deal! And a beautiful car. From the 996 on, they are really really big on grey/silver aren't they? Since I started reading this forum there is a PILE of silver and grey.
Love the C4S! All I would add is a fixed rear spoiler. Check out Ben Choi's ride (which I believe is also grey!).
Old 05-19-2007, 12:01 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Jasper....thanks for the input. The price differential between your car and mine sounds just right....you grabbed a sick deal too. The prices are very negotiable at some dealers. Naples has a TON of cars right now....many demos....and they did mention Panamera....not too sure what that means. They are trying to unload cars big time. They advised me that had a backup buyer at a much higher price...and while I usually don't heed to that kind of stuff (I dabble in real estate too), I had no reason to doubt them since I'm seeing the same car go for almost 8 to 10 grand more in other places.

Thanks all for the reassurance. I am very anxious to see how this all works out..... but I'm not losing any sleep....other than the dreaming of cruising around in my new ride. My wife is pissed at me cuz she says I'm more excited for this than I was for our wedding.....she's kinda right.....LOL.

p.s....center console is not aluminum...but painted seal gray with a super high gloss finish to match the exterior...kinda cool. Anyone know if the aluminum pedal covers are stock?

I'll keep you all posted.

Jon
Old 05-19-2007, 12:52 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great deal and congratulations on a very nice car (some say the C4S is the prettiest 996). The price is low but that's the market. There are tons of 996 out there and a lot of 997 too, now that the 997 facelift is in sight, prices are coming down again. I know we all love our cars and think that they must be as much worth as they give us fun, but I can't say it often enough: we're having a mass-production car, not a 356, 911SC, 993 or whatever Porsche sold before the 996, before the Boxster or before the 997. Enjoy your new toy!

BTW, I paid less for a back then similar old C2 Cab, 1.5 years ago with less miles and my car is fine, so don't worry; there's no reason to believe that this car is a lemon.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:58 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JBRipps, I see you have a cassette holder in your center console. I've just taken out my console for the "GT3 center console delete" mod to gain more leg-room, so if you want a CD storage, send me a PM. You can get it for free; just shipping.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:06 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by hwk72
Hey JBRipps, I see you have a cassette holder in your center console. I've just taken out my console for the "GT3 center console delete" mod to gain more leg-room, so if you want a CD storage, send me a PM. You can get it for free; just shipping.
Altruism is in the air!!

Quick Reply: DONE DEAL! Pulled the trigger on an '02 C4S...PICTURES