996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Could it be Cost of Ownership that is killing the resale value on high mile 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:54 AM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could it be Cost of Ownership that is killing the resale value on high mile 996

Well, I'm starting to think we might see high mile 996 cars sit in a bone yard.

Will there be a point where the engine miles say 100-150k might cause people to think twice about buying the car? Only because it would cost more to replace the engine then what the car is worth say in 5 more years?

So what do you think Porsche will do in the future to keep these cars on the road? Engines do not last forever and will need rings, pistons, bearings, ect. Tight tolerances won't last forever...

Will Porsche allow more parts to be available to rebuild or maybe aftermarket companies might step up to the future demand?

I'm I totally wrong or is this something to think about?

Last edited by evansaero; 05-22-2007 at 12:13 AM. Reason: New Title
Old 05-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares, just drive
Old 05-21-2007, 01:19 AM
evansaero
Pro

I do drive. 500 miles in just the past 2 days. I never get enough..

It's just another stupid question at midnight.

What are you going to do

Last edited by evansaero; 05-21-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

I have had enough of the dealer approach to repairs on my 996. Last fall I had to replace the tranny, because they don't make pilot shaft bearing kits for resale. That is pure bull****. My car now has 97k+ miles on it, and the next time it needs ANYTHING it is going to the local Porsche race shop mechanic.

This "Swap out" the major component idea has burned me the last time with Porsche. As much as I like both of the ones I have, I have bought my last one.

And people bitch about the 928 being high maintenance...... hell, at least I can get the freekin parts to do the work!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, Porsche lost their soul........... I am done with them.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
evansaero
Pro

You hit it on the head...

I forgot about the tranny. Not cheap to replace either.

Why is it Porsche went with the idea to swap out instead of repair kits?

I'm not a sponsored race teams that needs to swap out so that we can get back on the track.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:24 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doubt I'll ever buy another Pcar without a CPO. I've only had to repair a faulty throttle body so far after just under 40K miles but I'm not planning on pushing my luck in the future either.
But of course you can only CPO a 996 for so long...
Old 05-21-2007, 02:32 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are already shops rebuilding both engines and trannies....With a new (reman.) engine coming in at $7k or so now...it'll take a LONG LONG time before its too expensive to replace an engine. Boxsters dropped to high teens and then stopped depreciating....When I sold my Boxster 2 years ago...17k was about the lowest you could find a 97-99 Boxster with high mileage...I have been waiting for it to get to maybe 10k....now, the lowest si still about 17k....With Porsches they fall to a certain spot, then hang around there and SLOWLY depreciate...It looks like the 996 wont go below 30 anytime soon for clean cars. So it may take 10 years or more for the prices to drop to low 20's.....
Old 05-21-2007, 02:49 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by newport996
There are already shops rebuilding both engines and trannies....With a new (reman.) engine coming in at $7k or so now...it'll take a LONG LONG time before its too expensive to replace an engine. Boxsters dropped to high teens and then stopped depreciating....When I sold my Boxster 2 years ago...17k was about the lowest you could find a 97-99 Boxster with high mileage...I have been waiting for it to get to maybe 10k....now, the lowest si still about 17k....With Porsches they fall to a certain spot, then hang around there and SLOWLY depreciate...It looks like the 996 wont go below 30 anytime soon for clean cars. So it may take 10 years or more for the prices to drop to low 20's.....
the boxster buttom is $15K. the 3.4 996 bottom is $25K
Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by newport996
For the most part I agree with you.

The question I have is will we be seeing a lot of these cars in the bone yard. It would be hard to justify $7k when you buy a 996 for say $20-25k? Most people in that price range could not afford to replace the engine or tranny. It would BK them.

For me personally I don't have unlimited funds for that type of stuff (It's a car). Unless I can mitigate the possible loss on a car like this (ie CPO or 3rd party warranty) I would have not been willing to drive this car.

That being said I wonder if there is a point the value just stops (unlike the 993)
Old 05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

I meant a decent car with decent options...yes you could find high mileage beaters for 15k for a boxster and 25k for 996's but youy still see people paying in the 40s for clean 996s....even 3.4L's....
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pl
the boxster buttom is $15K. the 3.4 996 bottom is $25K
I don't know anything about Boxsters, but I predict the 3.4 996 bottom is more like $10K, in comparable market conditions to today's. That is, significantly higher fuel costs, or a real downturn in the economy or the markets could pull the floor out altogether.

I believe it was the combination of low production numbers and mystique that kept 911 prices up over the decades, and there were plenty of valleys in that graph. My impression is that there are a lot more 996's made than earlier cars. As well, they are more expensive to fix, and less mystical. I fear they will suffer badly from "just-a-car"-ness.

None of that matters when I'm behind the wheel.

CP
Old 05-21-2007, 03:20 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carpundit
I don't know anything about Boxsters, but I predict the 3.4 996 bottom is more like $10K, in comparable market conditions to today's. That is, significantly higher fuel costs, or a real downturn in the economy or the markets could pull the floor out altogether.

I believe it was the combination of low production numbers and mystique that kept 911 prices up over the decades, and there were plenty of valleys in that graph. My impression is that there are a lot more 996's made than earlier cars. As well, they are more expensive to fix, and less mystical. I fear they will suffer badly from "just-a-car"-ness.

None of that matters when I'm behind the wheel.

CP
huh? there are 3.4L cars selling for high 30's low 40's...I have NEVER seen a $10k 996 unless it was salvaged and stripped...your info is a little off....earlier Porsche's are NOT cheaper to fix...the opposite...the 993 is an expensive car to maintain...much more than a 996. The 996 in the 30's is considered a sports car bargain....
Old 05-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is cheaper to replace the 996 engine with a manufactured one than a complete rebuild for an air-cooled. I have seen a lot of rebuilds go for $10-12k.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Tippy
It is cheaper to replace the 996 engine with a manufactured one than a complete rebuild for an air-cooled. I have seen a lot of rebuilds go for $10-12k.

At that price it would be. I was only brought the 993 into play for being a p-car that was not mass produced and has see prices go up or at least demand current prices.

We can haggle that it's all supply and demand, and I guess that could be it but I still wonder if it's the "cost of repair" that is a major impact in the short future on the vaule of Mass Production p-cars. People just won't want to repair their car, they'll just junk it. That is say in another 5 more years

Last edited by evansaero; 05-21-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:30 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depreciation on Boxsters and 996s may slow for a bit...but once those engines start racking up BIG miles the buyer pool will start to shrink dramatically. No one is going to be diving into either car if the buyer could be faced with a potential engine fix that may cost 30-50% of the cars value. Add to that a glut of supply (largest numbers of cars Porsche has ever built in a 7 year period) and the laws of ecomonics takes over.
Then you will see Boxsters and 996s going for less than 20K. The supply is really the factor, used car dealers aren't going to just let 996s and 986 sit around forever. There's a mostly German used car dealer around the corner from me and I've noticed a steadily growing flow of Boxsters and 996s appearing on that lot. It's a good time to be a buyer for sure.

Quick Reply: Could it be Cost of Ownership that is killing the resale value on high mile 996