Sponsored by:

can you identify this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:56 PM
hamilton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you identify this sound?

I have a strange sound that is making me insane. Part of what is bothering me is the inconsistency in what makes the sound appear. My car is a 2003 Targa and *sometimes* when starting from a standstill or going over bumps or other things that will make the car pitch, roll or twist, I hear a sound coming from the back that sounds like a single marble *rolling* around in a plastic cup. It isn't a rattle. It has nothing to do with car speed or engine speed. It might be slightly biased toward the right side of the car. I have never heard it when the car is stopped so I can't open the engine compartment and listen for it. I looked behind the seats and I do not have a plastic cup with a marble in it. So I am out of ideas.

help?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:07 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 351 Posts

Wow, that is a strange one. Sorry I don't have an answer. Maybe the cup with the marble is being held by a small gnome that runs for cover every time you search for the sound?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask your dealer to consider looking at TSB 3/05 6006 Targa Glass Sliding Cover Lift Mechanism Causes Rattling Noises -- dated 3-31-2005. He would need to install the repair/update kit.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check for loose objects under the seat

water bottle
soad bottle soda can
canned food
golf ball
sex toys

those are the common finds
Old 05-25-2007, 08:54 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
check for loose objects under the seat

water bottle
soad bottle soda can
canned food
golf ball
sex toys

those are the common finds

I would also check for a plastic cup with a marble in it.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:21 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

I have seen one of the screws for the sun blind motor back out and roll around in the trim piece that covers it. You could try tapping on the trim piece and checking if you hear anything.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:42 PM
hamilton
Instructor

I'll check those things. thanks guys.

@Loren- it does sound somewhat like the solenoid when the engine cover or hatchback is popped. is that part of the update?
Old 05-26-2007, 04:21 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u may also want to check ur brakes. maybe it's dragging slightly?
Old 05-26-2007, 05:36 PM
hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by djantlive
u may also want to check ur brakes. maybe it's dragging slightly?
well I usually drive with the parking brake on for safety. think that might be it?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Grant,

Here are the two diagrams I promised to post. I hope these help.

There are a couple of TSB's about the Targa Glass. If you can't get this fixed yourself, these may be helpful to the Tech and Service Manager if you have to take it to the dealer.

TSB # 3/05 6006 Targa Glass Sliding Cover Lift Mechanism Causes Rattling Noises -- dated 3-31-2005 (As Loren stated above).

TSB # 2/05 6040 Seal For Targa Roof Sliding Cover Has Been Modified -- dated 3-07-2005 the seal can cause crackling or grating noises.
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2007, 12:04 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hamilton
well I usually drive with the parking brake on for safety. think that might be it?
huh? can you explain?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:34 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hamilton
I have a strange sound that is making me insane. Part of what is bothering me is the inconsistency in what makes the sound appear. My car is a 2003 Targa and *sometimes* when starting from a standstill or going over bumps or other things that will make the car pitch, roll or twist, I hear a sound coming from the back that sounds like a single marble *rolling* around in a plastic cup. It isn't a rattle. It has nothing to do with car speed or engine speed. It might be slightly biased toward the right side of the car. I have never heard it when the car is stopped so I can't open the engine compartment and listen for it. I looked behind the seats and I do not have a plastic cup with a marble in it. So I am out of ideas.

help?
I had a simillar problem - although my noise didn't sound like it came from the rear of the car, more like the back seat area. There was a sound that happened only periodically, like something was loose on metal somewhere. Turns out that something got beneath the lining under the passenger seat and worked itself into some little "tunnels" on the floor of the car. If you take all the "stuff" out from under the passenger seat, you can see bare metal, and towards the back there are these little "tunnels" - in my car it is where a uniball pen lid (with a metal clip) got caught. Sounds like you might have a screw or something similar in yours.

For me, the sound would sometimes happen when accelerating, sometimes when braking, and other times when I hit a speed bump. I looked many, many times over the course of a month and couldn't locate it. As it turns out (and making it the absoulte worst part) the pen lid would get turned sideways in the "tunnels" so it wouldn't make a noise until it got turned where it could move. When it got righted, it would make some noise and then get turned sideways back in the tunnels before I see it.

Well I finally had enough and cut a 1 foot square hole in the bottom of my car with a torch and got the pen lid out.

Just kidding - I took all the "stuff" out from under the seat, propped the wires up, put down some double sided sticky tape and also made it a point every day for a week to try to see where/what the little bugger was. Finally a pen lid stuck his little head out of one of the tunnels. I got some needle nose pliers and pulled the sucker out. And no more noise.

Sounds like you might have one of my gremlins in your car.

-td
Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 AM
hamilton
Instructor

I located the source. It is coming from part #11 in the digram above. While driving, I can feel the vibrations of the "thing" as it rolls around in the plastic cover. Tim, thanks for the diagram. Any idea how to remove that part? Is it just a couple of clips? I don't see any screws.

TD- those are exactly the times mine makes noise. It is freqeunt but unpredictable. I was so happy yesterday when I found it in that cover piece.

Redridge- I drive with the parking brake on so I don't go too fast...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hamilton -- are you still there?
I have exactly the same noise in my Targa -- how did you fix it?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy **** ! This post goes back to 2007!!

Quick Reply: can you identify this sound?