Sponsored by:

Car wash flooded my engine???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:47 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dresler
Yes, and they should have told you that at the car wash. Unless you go to the touchless kind, where the equipment moves around the car. So when will the booth be set up?
Just me, but I wouldn't use a touchless one, either. Touchless washes use much higher water pressure and harsher detergents to compensate for the lack of brushes. They're pretty brutal in some ways. YMMV.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:52 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

car wash is fine, it would have flooded in a good rain as well
Old 05-28-2007, 06:53 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

car wash is fine, it would have flooded in a good rain as well

you just have to make sure the drains arent plugged
Old 05-28-2007, 06:55 PM
gregroselli
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is unplugging them something I can do myself without a lift?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It says right in the manual not to take a cab through a car wash w/the soft top up. Hard top is ok , but I still wouldn't do it. Recycled water, etc.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you need to do if you take it to one of those washes is pay an extra $5 and tell them to wash it by hand and not send it through the wash....If you put it on the automatic track it can damage your wheels, no matter what kind of car you have, but also there are lots of sensitive things under the car in a Porsche, why chance it?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 PM
AsianImage
Racer

I guess I am glad I live in So Cal where the NEED for rain is soooo great..and we dont have any. I am at 28.8K and will be getting my 30K very soon. I will make sure to add this to my list of stuff to ask the mechanics to do for me.

Thanks all!

as for the carwash...I guess the OP got the point! ahahaha...yeah I trust carwashes likes I trust valets. But some Valets you cannot avoid...but I do avoid auto carwashes. I am lucky I guess I have two HAND WASHES at my disposal. One at work and one literally 5 mins away from home. They dont do a 100% great job...but after the wash I drive home and go over with detail spray and wheel cleaner and its pretty darn good. A machine wash has NEVER touched my car! aaaagh!!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 PM
AsianImage
Racer

Originally Posted by newport996
All you need to do if you take it to one of those washes is pay an extra $5 and tell them to wash it by hand and not send it through the wash....If you put it on the automatic track it can damage your wheels, no matter what kind of car you have, but also there are lots of sensitive things under the car in a Porsche, why chance it?
I was about to edit my post. Yes...most places will definitely do a handwash for you. $5-$10 bucks more and they literally take a bucket and sponges and will hand wash your car.

another trick is get to know one of the guys....my sis takes her car to this pretty big auto car wash..and she only goes to one guy. This dude...we OVER TIP him...and he takes an hour with the car. So when I had my Pcar one day...my sis told him I was her bro..and to hand wash my car..we paid "The Man/management" the price for a "normal" wash...and this dude...took like 2 hours to clean our cars. Him and one guy...just killed it...took forever and cleaned everything. We tipped them like $15 each. So for the price of 2 FULL washes only, no tip...we got super service and the guys were sooo happy and to this day they ask my sister..when is your brother coming back with you?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by gregroselli
Is unplugging them something I can do myself without a lift?
yes use your finger to clean it out what you can reach then use a garden hose with direct pressure into the drain to blow them out

your still gonna need a brake booster.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, I need two volunteers to go with me to gregroselli's house and CONFISCATE his car. The reason? Section 125(b)(3) of the Porsche Penal Code: Under no circumstances shall the owner take his dearly beloved Porsche to a car wash. This crime is punishable by confiscation of the victimized Porsche and its remanding to a good home where it will be properly cared for.

Next thing you know, I'll be hearing that someone took his Ferrari to a car wash. Sheesh!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:58 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Brake Booster on 1999 and 2000 cars fail because water collects in them. I replaced my brake booster and my master cylinder on my 1999 car because it started sticking. There is an upgraded part with additional cover that has been fitted to later model 996 cars.
I have not used a car wash since about 1964.
But I do use a lot of water when I wash my cars. Hence the failure.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Greg - Exactly when will the "punch me in the face" booth in Central Park be up and running?

Seriously, most of us here are very **** about our P-cars, which is why most reacted so strongly about the car wash thing. Good luck getting the drains cleaned out and also with the brake booster.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I always use an auto carwash for my 911. It is totally fine, and does a great job - way bettter than I can do. Plus its quick, unlike a lot of other rennlisters I hate washing my car - it sucks. Would much rather be driving.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use an auto carwash for my 911. It is totally fine, and does a great job - way bettter than I can do. Plus its quick, unlike a lot of other rennlisters I hate washing my car - it sucks. Would much rather be driving.
+1

Come on guys, that's sick! I bring my 996 Cab frequently to the car wash and the car loves the bubble bath. Only thing is that I put a towel over my K&N CAI for the time the car is in the car wash. After all it's a car.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
+1

Come on guys, that's sick! I bring my 996 Cab frequently to the car wash and the car loves the bubble bath. Only thing is that I put a towel over my K&N CAI for the time the car is in the car wash. After all it's a car.
That's a reasonable point of view. But here's another: A lot of people who drive sports cars are more fussy about how they look, and will therefore wash them more often. If you wash your car a lot, you have to think more carefully about how. For example, the previous owner of my Land Rover took it through automatic car washes at least twice weekly. Though I didn't notice when I bought it , she managed to remove most of the clear coat in just a couple of years of driving.

Automatic car washes are harsh. If you're not fussy about that stuff, then you're right. Just drive the car. But if you are, moderation or another solution might be in order.

Quick Reply: Car wash flooded my engine???