996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installed Fabspeed Bypass pipes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
997nut
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Fabspeed Bypass pipes...

So I installed my Fabspeed bypass pipes a couple days ago on my 02 996 C2 and here are my thoughts...

IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!! WOW is all I can say. This is how all sports cars should sound. I dont think I can go back to any other exhaust (Stock or aftermarket) again.

Installation was not as easy as I thought it would be since I read some threads on bypass pipes and most people said it could come on and off in 30 mins. Taking those 3 bolts off took some time along with taking the wheels off and on....you get the picture. I dont know if it is just me or my imagination but I feel like it may have lost a little bit of power. I dont know for sure since I haven't dynoed the car and wont because even if it did lose a little power, the sound and weight difference makes up for it! Overall, I'm very happy with the pipes and recommend them to every Porsche owner. It is by far the best bang for your buck.

Now that the mod bug started to crawl up my back, I am looking for my next upgrade. I am now looking for a Air intake. Here are the main Intakes I see and have heard about:

1. EVOMS V-flow ---> Expensive but looks like great quality.
2. K&N ---> Great dyno results ( Have to see to believe ) but may cause MAF Problems???
3. Schnell ---> Cheap but just might do the same job for a 1/4 of the price.

This is where you guys and girls come in... Point me in the right direction. I thank you in advance.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Took the wheels off?? Why?

I tried to convince my friend to go with the bypass pipes... but it sounded too loud to him for everyday use...

Anyway... reading a few post I would think that the best first mods (besides a short shift kit) is different mufflers or a by-pass (like what you did) and the Cold Air Kit and leave the stock filter to avoid issues with the MAF.

Last edited by Wachuko; 06-08-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You lost some torque since your car basically doesn't have any backpressure anymore from the mufflers.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:24 PM
ghost11
Track Day

muffler bypass, or cat bypass?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ghost11
muffler bypass, or cat bypass?
I would guess Muffler bypass because of the reference to the sound... I do not think cat bypass would make a lot of difference in the sound with the stock mufflers.

Plus he makes a reference to three bolts... and wheel removal. That has to be the bolts that hold the base of the mufflers in place.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:48 PM
997nut
Intermediate

Sorry I didn't specify. It is the Fabspeed Muffler bypass pipes. I took the wheels off because I was told it would be easier to work on and get the exhaust off...
Old 06-08-2007, 05:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What you lose down low you make up at the top of the power band. I installed the Fabspeed pipes as well on my GT3 and it literally took all of 30 minutes. Incredible sound. You think the 996 sounds great, listen to the 8.2K redline of the M64 motor in the GT3

For street driving I would NEVER have these installed. Way too loud for the street and give up power in places you don't want to (low to mid range in the band).

Trending Topics

Old 06-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

997nut, I love the EVO cold air induction on my 996. The difference in the sound is fantastic. It made more of a difference than the headers. I bought mine used from a fellow Rennlister for $350. If you are near Sacramento, you are welcome to drive mine and see if you like it.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 PM
997nut
Intermediate

I bet the GT3 sounds like a monster Dell...I could only imagine the look on peoples faces if you drove that beast daily!

Mfletch, I was leaning toward the EVO Cold air as well. I am in the Los Angeles area so I would not be able to hear it...thanks for the offer though. You got a great deal on that intake! Maybe I can find one on here too.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If anybody wants to hear what thier car would sound like with muff bypass pipes, just take off the mufflers and drive around.

I think the reason people like them is the fact the sound is directed to the rear of the car, inside the cabin you would not hear the true sound. However, if you just pull off the mufflers, the cat pipes face your windows and will give you a pretty accurate sound of what the people behind you would be hearing with the MBP's.

I love a loud car but I was embarassed to drive my car with them off, I quickly put the mufflers back on. This is coming from someone who had dual 3" exhaust with 1 chamber flowmasters on a S/C'd (25 lbs of boost) '69 Camaro.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 997nut
I bet the GT3 sounds like a monster Dell...I could only imagine the look on peoples faces if you drove that beast daily!

Mfletch, I was leaning toward the EVO Cold air as well. I am in the Los Angeles area so I would not be able to hear it...thanks for the offer though. You got a great deal on that intake! Maybe I can find one on here too.
I did have the pleasure only once. It was a couple days ago while I was running to the post office. Some kid in a fart rocket thought his potato shooter of an exhaust was all that and a bag of chips. One blip of the throttle and he was curious. At the green light I let him pull away a little as I accelerated slowly so as not to give it away.............and then...............VROOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!! The look on his face was priceless

Enough of that though. It was fun once. I don't need the po-po sweatin' me
Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM
ghost11
Track Day

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I would guess Muffler bypass because of the reference to the sound... I do not think cat bypass would make a lot of difference in the sound with the stock mufflers.

Plus he makes a reference to three bolts... and wheel removal. That has to be the bolts that hold the base of the mufflers in place.
actually the cat bypasses made a HUGE sound difference in my car, i'm running the pse exhaust though not stock, mine is actually the loudest 996 i've heard outside of a race track. also, does anyone know if the pse makes a performance gain or is it just basically for sound? i have a 3.4 by the way

Quick Reply: Installed Fabspeed Bypass pipes...