996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 vs Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:04 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having owned both a Boxster and multiple 911's, the extra room, power, better looks, etc. would always incline me to go for the 911. Having that extra room in the cockpit behind the front seats is always very useful, much more convenient than the extra trunk.

Still my advice has always been if you want a convertible go with the Boxster. I think they look a lot better than the 911 cab. But then again, I think the 911 coupe looks the best.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:21 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Fast1....no offense....but you wouldn't be driving a Boxster or any other Porsche if you weren't into how you appear by driving it. There are loads of other cars that have similar performance, everyone knows that, and I think most would agree with my next statement.

You drive Porsches because you love them....just like most of us. While I cherish the feel and history of these cars, it is nice that there is some status in ownership. Of course that is not solely why I own these cars, but it is a nice plus. Will I go to a Miata down the road?.....probably not, but they are fantastic cars too, along with the 350Z, G35 Coupe, etc.

Again, just being real here.

J
JBRipps - Maybe you are right from a subconscious perspective because by definition I have no idea what is happening at that level, but consciously I never give it a thought. I have driven the Miata on several occassions and I think it's a super car and I would have no problem owning one except for the concerns that I have over its safety. It's just too small for public roads IMO. I also test drove the 350Z and G35 but I just wesn't very impressed with their build quality, and for not much more money I could buy a lightly optioned Boxster after the discount.

So from my perspective I didn't see anything under $50K that came close to matching the 987 from a perspective of performance, build quality, and interior and exterior appearance. For those of you who believe that the Boxster doesn't have enough power, believe me I understand because that's where I was for the last 15 years or so. I couldn't get enough HP and I was always modding my cars for more and more power. Maybe it's because I'm older or because I'm getting tired of worrying about Stae Troppers or maybe because I don't track my cars any longer, but HP doesn't mean much to me anymore. And to my surprise I'm enjoying my car more than I did my prior cars which had well over 100 more HP, notwithstanding the perception that the 987 may be a girl's or a hairdresser's car.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
2Brak
Advanced

a 911 is a 911 perioid.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:32 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillnj
Having owned both a Boxster and multiple 911's, the extra room, power, better looks, etc. would always incline me to go for the 911. Having that extra room in the cockpit behind the front seats is always very useful, much more convenient than the extra trunk.

Still my advice has always been if you want a convertible go with the Boxster. I think they look a lot better than the 911 cab. But then again, I think the 911 coupe looks the best.

I agree with rmillnj's comments. And I, too, have had both the 911 and Boxster models. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:29 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well its apples and oranges really.

Its like saying should I buy an X5 or a 5 series.
Do you prefer a Sports Coupe or Roadster?
People who say why buy a Boxster when I could have gotten a 911 are people who don't understand that sports car world has many types of sports cars: ,roadsters,convertibles,sports coupes,GTs,impractical track only cars. They all have different types of driving in mind.

The BoxsterS is the car that sets the bar in its roadster class, albeit in way overpriced manner. On paper, an S2000 and the upcoming CR version, will perform just as well for less money. So obviously there are other factors that have drawn so many rave reviews of the first pure convertible of Porsche mass production. Steering feel, braking, styling, exhaust note, etc.
I've lost count at the number of random strangers come up to compliment my car and think its way more expensive than it is. I always encourage them to buy one because they are very affordable and as low maintenance as you will ever get in Porsche. My buddy who has an S2000 simply doesn't have this experience with strangers and compliments. And he gets taunted by the spikey haired kids into drag racing much more than I do.

As far as power.... If that's your game I wouldn't buy any non-GT/Turbo 911 or Boxster/S. I found them *all* to be undwerwhleming in horse power. There are much better options for the money if one dimensional "seat of the pants" oomph is your primary concern. On handling I found the BoxsterS to be much more nimble than the C2. Not sure if that down to engine placement (Mid vs. Rear). And The C4 felt way understeery and heavy, my two least favorite things. And most importantly on this issue, you have to decide if pendulus cornering is your thing or not. I found it to be fun but I prefer a sharper response from steering inputs in a corner. Both have excellent feedback from the low weight up front.
Personally I measure a car by how it feels when it's rotating and not in a straight line. With 250HP I get from 0-100 in a blink, the last thing I or a passenger have ever said as the Boxer engine makes that harmonious wail directly behind the shoulders is "damn I need more power!". And in track/autox getting it wrong reminds you that you are a long way from being able to knock out 10/10's from the car 99% of the time. That momment of polar inertia is scary but the Boxster doesn't stray far from the point where the tires maxed out the grip and begins to over rotate.

If the car is for fun and you have a more practical car to fall back on, I'd get the BoxsterS.
I have several friends who have owned Boxsters in addition to Ferraris, Lamborghinis, M5's, GT3's and all say the BoxsterS is right up there on driving satisfaction.
But at the end of the day you have to be either a top down person or you are not. A tough call in Canada I imagine.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I've lost count at the number of random strangers come up to compliment my car and think its way more expensive than it is. I always encourage them to buy one because they are very affordable and as low maintenance as you will ever get in Porsche. My buddy who has an S2000 simply doesn't have this experience with strangers and compliments. And he gets taunted by the spikey haired kids into drag racing much more than I do.

let's keep it real at least these kids have hair to spike LOL j/k

I've gotten many a compliments when I had my S2000. Not sure where you're going with that one. Porsche Boxsters are EVERYWHERE.

Good advice all around. I'm a fan of the Boxster S, but had the S2000 instead so I never looked to upgrade to the BS because it really wasn't.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:42 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Boxsters are everywhere when you live in a high income concetrated area! From 97-2004 Porsche only produced about 100,000 Boxsters. Compare that to the number of S2000 Honda made in 2006 alone. Outside of car clubs, I've never met another BoxsterS owner in the time I've owned mine.
That was a big part of the appeal for me. I like to be the first of the people I know to try things.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:15 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try Rural Kentucky, I am impressed when I see a 944! Aside from in Lexington I hardly see another Porsche outside of the PCA events.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 PM
su20
Advanced

Originally Posted by judd944
Try Rural Kentucky, I am impressed when I see a 944! Aside from in Lexington I hardly see another Porsche outside of the PCA events.
Dude, your laser sight needs some alignment!

I've had 914, 944, boxster (correctly spelled), and C4S. I loved every one, and didn't care what anyone thought. I agree with the prevailing idea that if you want a convertible, get the boxster... the 911 cab just doesn't look proper to me. But if you're into driving, get a 911 coupe. Any variety. Period. (If you're into fixing your car by the side of the road, however, get a 914! I loved every breakdown!!)
Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I traded my 996 for a new cayman s, needless to say I could of got all manner of used 911, even a 996 TT for the cash I could spend...

my wife told me if I wanted to get a 2 seater, to get one now before we have kids.

only two other cars I would trade the cayman for is the new R8 or a gallardo. realistically it would be the r8 since I can get it serviced locally....
Old 07-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
The Boxsters are everywhere when you live in a high income concetrated area! From 97-2004 Porsche only produced about 100,000 Boxsters. Compare that to the number of S2000 Honda made in 2006 alone. Outside of car clubs, I've never met another BoxsterS owner in the time I've owned mine.
That was a big part of the appeal for me. I like to be the first of the people I know to try things.
maybe 9,000 S2000s each year bud
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
maybe 9,000 S2000s each year bud
Not anymore. Honda let this car die on the vine like the NSX.

Stick a fork in it, the torqueless wonder is a dead car walking....

Too bad, Honda could have tried to update the car (beyond the lame move to a 2.2 that is no faster than the 2.0). However in the end they make a lot more money pumping out Accords, Civics, Odessey's and Pilots.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Not anymore. Honda let this car die on the vine like the NSX.

Stick a fork in it, the torqueless wonder is a dead car walking....

Too bad, Honda could have tried to update the car (beyond the lame move to a 2.2 that is no faster than the 2.0). However in the end they make a lot more money pumping out Accords, Civics, Odessey's and Pilots.
Imagine what they could have done by simply adding a supercharger and beefing up the suspension and brakes to handle the extra power. All of this could have been accomplished, and the price of the car would still have been under $40K.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:09 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

The second gen (2.2L) S2000 is an awesome car, the car is faster on a straigh line than the 250hp 986S (pre2003).. the 986S with 258hp should be a bit faster... the S2000 does not provide the same feedback that the 986S does, and the brakes on the Porsche are better..
If I wanted a convertible I would get a Boxster S not a 911 with the roof chopped off, the Bosxter's structure was designed to be topless from the begining, thats why is soo good as a roadster...
Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 AM
rcronin
Advanced

Boxster v. 911
This is easy and not because I have the 911.
Stay away from the boxster. This car is as common as the vette or the H2. It makes the middle class feel and think like they have something special when they really don't.
Once upon a time it used to say something when you saw someone rolling down the street in a caddy or a jag or even a vette. Now they are too common place. At least in my market.
Personally I got my car because I had always dreamed of having one. I only chose the newer water cooled version due to my part of the country and its heat. Some get them for show. Others it's a dream thing.
When you look at either car, which gets your attention most?

Quick Reply: 996 vs Boxster S