Sponsored by:

Cup Holder Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:48 PM
g8tr5220
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cup Holder Removal

So I have searched all over for dash disassembly stuff, how do you take apart and remove the cup holders on an '01 996? I have the little twin jobs and plan on replacing one of them that is cracked. I have the part from Sunset, just can't find instructions on taking the old one out and before I start pulling at everything I would like to see if there are any instructions out there. Of course the other choice is to get a flat head screw driver and a 12 pack and get started... but I think i should wait on that one! Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Um, what model/year car do you have?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
yizzung
Advanced

Here's some instructions but I think this might be for a slightly different year car:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7128
Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 PM
yizzung
Advanced

BTW, I have an '01 996 Cab. My right cup holder is still "functional" but is missing a key component. The front cover is intact and it slides in/out properly. However, it's missing the plastic piece on the inside that is supposed to hold the cup when the unit is in the extended position. (The squarish, horizontal, plastic piece with the "cup-sized" hole in the middle...)

If I can just acquire this one piece of plastic, I can probably pop it on there and salvage the (otherwise functional) unit. Without that piece, I'll eventually have to replace the entire unit to the tune of $70... Assuming it still has the piece that I need intact, I'm wondering if you have any need for your old, broken unit?

(Or, does anyone out there have an old broken unit sitting around unused in the garage?)
Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
g8tr5220
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick replies, I found it was easier than I thought the bezel just pops off, and the cup holder has 4 mounting screws...it only took me a six pack to get it out and replace!

Sorry Yizzung, that was the part that was cracked/broken, sorry about that.

On another note, Jeff at Sunset is great, I can't recommend him highly enough to everyone.

Quick Reply: Cup Holder Removal