Sponsored by:

Technical Question - Blinking overheat light when temperature is normal

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 AM
dimnslow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical Question - Blinking overheat light when temperature is normal

So I have this problem I am hoping some had before or knows the solution to. This has happened to me twice so far.

Sometimes when I drive my car the red light on the 'hot' end of the temperature gauge (right side) start blinking even though the needle on the temperature gauge shows that the car's internal coolent temperature is only around 190 degrees or so, which based on the meter is the middle 3rd of the temperature gauge - well within normal.

When I park the car and get out the fan in front sounds like it's on full blast.

I can't figure out what the problem is... any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:54 AM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

low coolant
Old 07-11-2007, 12:56 AM
dimnslow
Advanced

Thanks Robyn C - so there's no gauge or light that comes on to say low coolant, just the blinking lights? What type of coolant should I buy?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:57 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RobynC
low coolant
+1
Old 07-11-2007, 01:46 AM
RobynC
Pro

Porsche has it's own coolant...so you could pop by a dealer and pick some up.

I have heard Pentosin...but I don't know much about it.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:06 AM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beware - you could have a leak or you could potentially have oil + coolant intermix - this is what my car did and led and looking into the cause helped me to discover my needing a new engine. Check your oil and pray that you see normal looking oil. If it is foamy and frothy, sit dow and take a deep breath. Then get the car to a garage pronto.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:56 AM
bzalforno
Rennlist Member

low coolant. just had the same thing, had a leaking overflow tank. unfortunately over$ 300 for the tank. but it solved the problem.
you could also check your coolant level regularly while the engine is cool, in unpressurized mode and keep a gallon of coolant in the trunk. much cheaper, but temporary fix.
bob
Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

There are many threads on this, it can be low coolant ore hight temps in the engine compartment as well. Unless you do a coolant system flush only use porsche coolant as an additive. BTW there is also a fan mod to automatically run your fans at will. 996s fans come on late in the game, especially if you live in a high temperature climate.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:06 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 358 Posts

I have also had this problem, even though the coolant temperature was not too hot, and not other coolant leaks. My mechanic advised to check the engine compartment sensor located on the passenger side, top of the engine, between the first and second intake manifold ducts. It can slip out of its gromet, causing it to actually rest on the engine, which will cause the computer to think engine compartment temps are too high. good luck.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:58 PM
aeichmiller
Intermediate

Bringing back a very old thread from the dead. On hot days I sometimes get the slow blinking light. Coolant is at the correct level, and I do not see any signs of leaks around the expansion tank or cap. So that means it is the engine compartment blower fan not coming on. Which makes sense, because I can't recall ever hearing it run in the 3 years I have owned the car.

What is the fix for this? Is there a relay that is bad? Does the entire blower need to be replaced? Could the temp sensor be the culprit? Most of my research around the temp sensor says that it usually falls onto the engine and reads too hot and fan runs too often. I seem to have the opposite problem.

BTW car is a 99 C2 coupe.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Alex
Old 04-03-2019, 02:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by aeichmiller
Bringing back a very old thread from the dead. On hot days I sometimes get the slow blinking light. Coolant is at the correct level, and I do not see any signs of leaks around the expansion tank or cap. So that means it is the engine compartment blower fan not coming on. Which makes sense, because I can't recall ever hearing it run in the 3 years I have owned the car.

What is the fix for this? Is there a relay that is bad? Does the entire blower need to be replaced? Could the temp sensor be the culprit? Most of my research around the temp sensor says that it usually falls onto the engine and reads too hot and fan runs too often. I seem to have the opposite problem.

BTW car is a 99 C2 coupe.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Alex
Check your fuses/relays for the fan. I hear mine click on after I park the car.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:41 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 706 Posts

The coolant gauge light blinks for different things. I will look it up and post.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:45 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 706 Posts

Four functions of the coolant warning light:
1. Engine coolant level too low; light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)
2. Engine compartment temperature too high; light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)
3. Engine coolant temperature too high; light is lit; pointer on the right
4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty; light flashes rapidly (1 Hz); pointer on the right
Note
The temperature warning in point three is indicated if the conditions "engine coolant temperature too high" and "engine coolant level too low" are present simultaneously
(1Hz = 1 flash per second. 0.5Hz = 2 seconds per flash).
Old 04-03-2019, 03:45 PM
aeichmiller
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
The coolant gauge light blinks for different things. I will look it up and post.
Correct. Slow blinking is attributed to either low coolant or engine compartment temp too high. Fast blinking is temp sensor at water outlet faulty and the light constant on is the coolant temp too high.

Mine is showing the slow blinking that seems to be more frequently attributed to low coolant level or a leaking expansion tank. I have ruled both of those out so I believe the issue is with the engine compartment temp. I don't recall ever hearing that fan run so I am looking to figure out the next steps.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:44 PM
aeichmiller
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Check your fuses/relays for the fan. I hear mine click on after I park the car.
Checked the fuses and they are fine. I didn't see a relay on the fuse box diagram. Is there one somewhere other than the fusebox?

Quick Reply: Technical Question - Blinking overheat light when temperature is normal