Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 AM
petrulio
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Lid

Wanted to add this to the database. Took the hard top off today after being on for the winter. Tried to close the soft top and all I got was the blinking light and I could also hear a faint 2 clicks, which repeated every few seconds. The fix was to open and close the engine lid. Top works as advertised now.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 AM
jpearson888
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic oil recommended for roof lift pump?

What type of hydraulic oil is recommended for replacing in the convertible motor?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:52 AM
wucash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpearson888
What type of hydraulic oil is recommended for replacing in the convertible motor?
Amazon.com: Pentosin CHF202 Power Steering Fluid (1.06 qt): Automotive Amazon.com: Pentosin CHF202 Power Steering Fluid (1.06 qt): Automotive
Old 04-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but my issue with my '07 C4S's convertible top and solution is pertinent to the threads topic. Top started to only open half way. I could fully close it and top latch worked fine but no matter what I fused it would open more than half way and stop. So having read this and other threads I check all noted potential issues. Hydraulics where fine, both oil level and pistons with no signs of leaks on either side. I removed SmartTop on the chance it was the problem with no change in tops operation. After reading one thread suggesting revving engine to 1500 solved his problem I started to think about my charging circuit and specifically the battery which was 6 years old. Well, new battery fixed the problem. Top operates as new. I my case the store said it tested fine though they could not confirm whether or not the battery had a short. As 6 years is beyond the useful life on any of the batteries I have ever owned I bought a new one, test results or no.

While your results my vary, if you are having similar problems with your top and have ruled out the more obvious issues I would check your batteries age (my older battery had a 4 digit born on date on it's top of (1047), first 2 digits represent the year and last 2 represent the weeks battery was manufactured. New battery had a more familiar 3/16 on its side). So, if your battery has reached or surpassed its rated life span it's time to replace it. Lots cheaper than a trip to the dealer to investigate your tops problems if it works, and if it doesn't work you're no worse off because you were probably living on borrowed time with the old battery anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Dana Whicker (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 04:37 PM
flattire
7th Gear

^I never open or close the top without the engine running. Too much current draw.

My 2000 996 is have asymmetry problems. One of the convertible top actuators is lagging the other. Oddly enough, I have too MUCH fluid in the reservoir. Overfilled. Thinking I may have air in the system that isn't getting purged.
No leaks that I can find.
The following users liked this post:
MarkTro (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 08:54 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by flattire
^I never open or close the top without the engine running. Too much current draw.

My 2000 996 is have asymmetry problems. One of the convertible top actuators is lagging the other. Oddly enough, I have too MUCH fluid in the reservoir. Overfilled. Thinking I may have air in the system that isn't getting purged.
No leaks that I can find.
Seem to have the same problem. Did you ever figure it out?
Old 11-17-2022, 12:43 AM
Hermanr
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Troy R
Over the past month or so my top has been very tempermental. Will open or close halfway or so, and then I must figit with it until it finally goes all the way. Yesterday it did it and now it will not move. When I hit the open/close button, I can here the electronic ignition of the motor, it clicks, but then does nothing. I've tried it with the engine on and off, etc. The cars not moving, handbrake up, etc. I had the Wilhelmy mod's in it and took them out and it is doing the same thing - not working. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? It's a 2000 996 C4.

Between taking the Wilhelmy mods out and putting the top down manually I've got stuff taken apart pretty well right now. If it's a simple part replacement I'd like to try and just replace it instead of taking it to a shop.

Thanks in advance.
i am having the same issue as Troy.I hear the same clicking but that’s it. Looking for ideas.

Last edited by Hermanr; 11-17-2022 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Problems