Sponsored by:

Sticky Accelerator on CPO 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM
JL90292
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Accelerator on CPO 996

Hi guys. I have a 996, which I bought two weeks ago from a Porsche dealership as CPO. Today the accelerator started to become very sticky. In other words, instead of the accelerator pedal moving down smoothly, it sticks from one point to the next. This is making acceleration very jerky and clearly I need to get it fixed.

Is anyone familiar with this issue, and what it should cost? Also, shouldn't this be covered by the CPO warranty? If it’s a non wear-and-tear item it certainly should be covered, but even if it is somehow considered to be a wear-and-tear item it still should have been taken care of when the dealership did their comprehensive CPO inspection before I bought the car two weeks ago, correct?

Any guidance would be much appreciated, so thank you in advance to whoever can help me out here.

Best,
Jake
Old 08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check your floor mats
Old 08-14-2007, 08:51 PM
JL90292
8th Gear

Hi Brad. Thanks for the note. I just checked it out. Unfortunately the floor mat is in the right place and isn't in contact with the accelerator at all, so that's not the problem in this case. I was hoping you were right though. I'm just hoping dealers aren't going to try to make me pay to get this fixed.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check behind the pedal the best you can. If you have to, use a mirror. Since no one I have read (on 3 forums) has had this problem, it probably is something simple obstructing pedal travel.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 PM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother had this issue on his 99 C4 CPO. The dealer did not cover it and quoted him around $850 to replace the thing. He had a local independant take the unit apart and clean it and it is like new. Cost around $75 if I remember correctly.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:40 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you bought it 2 weeks ago TAKE IT BACK. They will fix it...call them and schedule an appointment. Dont even ask them if its covered...it doesnt matter, if you bought it 2 weeks ago, have them fix it as a pre existing condition...tell them it did it from day one and got worse....
Old 08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got the same problem on my '02. It's not so bad that I can't drive it, I only notice it cruising on the highway where I'm making minor accelerator adjustments. Please PM me (or update this thread) if you find an easy or inexpensive fix. I guess I could take it apart and "clean it" like TCR's brother had done, if I wasn't afraid of buggering it all up.

Michael
Old 08-16-2007, 11:45 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your car have E-gas?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well Jake, although few people apparently have had this problem, I decided to post my solution in case it can help someone else down the road.

My car is an '02 - I don't know when or how the pedal may have changed for other years.

There is one screw holding in the accelerator pedal assembly. Remove this screw. You then need to slide the assembly up about 1/2 inch and then pull it out. You could now disassemble it, but what I did was to slide up the boot (the rubber thingie) that protects the interior.

The way this thing works is that there is a rod that connects the pedal via a ball and socket joint to a half round pivot that is connected to the throttle cable. It's hideously over-engineered, but with the engine in the wrong place I guess it makes sense. I squirted a little oil on the ball and socket joint and worked the pedal several times. There is also a hole in the back of the assembly, so I squirted some more oil from the backside. There is nothing electronic in there, so there are no worries about oil messing something up.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Except that I had trouble getting the stupid thing lined-up to get the screw back in. You'll figure it out - just be sure to line up the round tab and get it inserted into the bracket. Once I got that, it was fine. Note that it is easier to reinsert the boot before you put the assembly back in the car. That keeps out the dirt that probably caused the problem in the first place.

Now the throttle pedal is nice and smooth.

Good luck!

Michael
Old 08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
carlo$
Instructor

what does CPO stand for?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:53 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo$
what does CPO stand for?
CPO = Certified Pre Owned. Here is a link to the Porsche site that details the coverages.

http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...letype=default
Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
JL90292
8th Gear

Default Thanks Michael!

Michael,

That worked wonderfully. I took it off night, cleaned it off, added some grease, reinstalled, and the accelerator is now as smooth as silk.

I think a lot more people have this problem than realize it. I tried out the accelerator pedal on a 2002 last week and it had the same issue, yet its owner had no idea. Personally, it drives me nuts not to be able to choose precisely how much gas to apply, but evidently many people just don't notice it.

Anyway, thank you again for the great advice. Much appreciated!

J
Old 08-21-2007, 01:45 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I've got the same problem on my '02. It's not so bad that I can't drive it, I only notice it cruising on the highway where I'm making minor accelerator adjustments. Please PM me (or update this thread) if you find an easy or inexpensive fix. I guess I could take it apart and "clean it" like TCR's brother had done, if I wasn't afraid of buggering it all up.

Michael
Same issue here. It's not really a sticking so much as a creaking when gradually modulating the throttle. It's annoying as hell. The service guys have been in there twice to lube the pedal to no avail. If you come across a reasonable fix, let me know, please, so I can pursue it.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
There is one screw holding in the accelerator pedal assembly. Remove this screw. You then need to slide the assembly up about 1/2 inch and then pull it out. You could now disassemble it, but what I did was to slide up the boot (the rubber thingie) that protects the interior.

The way this thing works is that there is a rod that connects the pedal via a ball and socket joint to a half round pivot that is connected to the throttle cable. It's hideously over-engineered, but with the engine in the wrong place I guess it makes sense. I squirted a little oil on the ball and socket joint and worked the pedal several times. There is also a hole in the back of the assembly, so I squirted some more oil from the backside. There is nothing electronic in there, so there are no worries about oil messing something up.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Except that I had trouble getting the stupid thing lined-up to get the screw back in. You'll figure it out - just be sure to line up the round tab and get it inserted into the bracket. Once I got that, it was fine. Note that it is easier to reinsert the boot before you put the assembly back in the car. That keeps out the dirt that probably caused the problem in the first place.
Just read this. Going to try this weekend. Thanks Michael.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:02 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone doing this fix, please take some pics, and post it here.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (05-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Sticky Accelerator on CPO 996