Sponsored by:

Window doesnt drop when door open

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:58 AM
lfe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window doesnt drop when door open

My drivers side window no longer drops the 1/2 inch when I pull on either the inside or outside door handle. Makes it nearly impossible to close door. Passenger side still works fine. Anyone have any hints on first thing to look for ???
Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you hear the motor run inside the door when you pull the handle up?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 AM
PorscheMD
Racer

If you here the noise coming from the door when you pull the door handle but the window doesn't do anything then you need a window regulator.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 AM
lfe
Instructor

No Noise when I pull the handle. And window works normal from window switch, auto up/down works fine.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Your window regulator cable is stretched

There are 2 solutions to this issue:

1 Replace the window regulator with a new one. The regulator costs about $190, and takes a little over 2 hours to R&R going at a leisurely pace.

2. Adjust the Bowden Tube on the existing regulator to take up the slack on the cable. This method only costs the 2 or less hours needed to take off the door panel to get to the regulator. The Bowden tube is the white plastic tube that the regulator cable is in and has clips on the regulator motor end that can be adjusted to take up the slack from the cable stretching. Adjusting the cable will give your regulator a few more years of use and save you some cash. This is the same mechanism that is used on Audi, VW, and most other German window regulators.

Beware, however if you go to a dealer. They will insist that there is no adjustment, and that they "have" to replace the regulator, and charge you list for the regulator and labor.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lfe
No Noise when I pull the handle. And window works normal from window switch, auto up/down works fine.
Then the problem is not the regulator. There is a microswitch in the door handle assembly that is probably at fault:

From http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLoo...-20-Frame3.htm
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by Doug Donsbach:
Etp095 (06-10-2020), Skits2112 (03-29-2021), TechSavvySam (12-24-2019)
Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM
lfe
Instructor

Thanks so far for the suggestions, but I dont think any are on track. Not the regulator because the motor doesnt move or hum at all, but works fine from switch control. Not the microswitch because doesnt work with exterior or interior door handle. My guess is either break in wiring harness from door to body, or something wrong with window controller, wherever that is.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Try "retraining" your window. Lower the window completely and continue to hold the window switch dwon for 10 - 15 seconds after the window is lowered. Raise the window and continue to hold the window switch dwon for 10 - 15 seconds after the window is completely raised. You may need to do this procedure twice to "retrain" the window.

If that does not resolve the issue, then I agree with Doug Donsbach that it is probably the microswitch in the door handle. Let us know how you resolved the problem.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lfe
Thanks so far for the suggestions, but I dont think any are on track. Not the regulator because the motor doesnt move or hum at all, but works fine from switch control. Not the microswitch because doesnt work with exterior or interior door handle. My guess is either break in wiring harness from door to body, or something wrong with window controller, wherever that is.
Sorry you make no sense....those are exactly the symptoms of a failed microswitch...not working with either the exterior or interior handle.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:57 AM
lfe
Instructor

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Sorry you make no sense....those are exactly the symptoms of a failed microswitch...not working with either the exterior or interior handle.
I havnt had a chance to look at the schematics, but I was assuming 2 microswitches. One for inside door handle, one for outside, so if one broke mechanically, the other would still work. Since in my case neither works, I am assuming something else. We all know about assume, but does that make more sense.
Thx
Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

The diagram in post #6 shows only 1 micro switch in the door handle configutation. Both the exterior and interior handles activate the switch.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM
lfe
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
The diagram in post #6 shows only 1 micro switch in the door handle configutation. Both the exterior and interior handles activate the switch.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLoo...-10-Frame3.htm

Looking at the diagram of the inside, there seems to be an additional microswitch for the inside door handle. part #20. So .... I think there are two switches. Anybody have a schematic of this section, that would confirm one or two switches. I will also try retraining the window tonight when I get home. (Drove the Audi today, thunderstorms forcast)
Thx
Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There are in fact two switches:
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gota911
The diagram in post #6 shows only 1 micro switch in the door handle configuration. Both the exterior and interior handles activate the switch.
Originally Posted by lfe
http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLoo...-10-Frame3.htm

Looking at the diagram of the inside, there seems to be an additional microswitch for the inside door handle. part #20. So .... I think there are two switches. Anybody have a schematic of this section, that would confirm one or two switches. I will also try retraining the window tonight when I get home. (Drove the Audi today, thunderstorms forcast)
Thx
Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
There are in fact two switches:
OK, I stand correected. I didn't have the detail for the second switch. My bad! Thanks for the info.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Just to add some more to the discussion

The probability of both microswitches going out at the same time is very unlikely.

What is more likely is that the cable in the Bowden tube has stretched just enough that even though the motor is pulling the cable the 1/2" that it needs to, the slack is such that the window is not being pulled down.

You can test this by after you open the door, push the window down by hand the 1/2" that the motor should be pulling it down. Then close the door, and the window should reset itself back to the fully closed position.

80% of window regulator problems are traced to a stretched regulator cable.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if the cable stretch is not too severe, there is a Bowden tube adjustment on the regulator to take up the slack.
The following 2 users liked this post by Orient Express:
brontosaurus (04-23-2021), Etp095 (06-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Window doesnt drop when door open