996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

911 greeting etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:37 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil...just an update.....got my car early June.....have now put 5K miles on it. LOVE ITTTTT.

j
Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
Here in Boulder, where it seems like every second person is either a pro cylist, a pro tri-geek, or a wannabee cyclist/tri-geek, there's a very definite "hierarchy" of who greets when two cyclists pass each other head to head.

Generally, the wannabee initiates, and waves with hand and/or a head nod. The pro or semi-pro indicates his / her disdain by barely flicking a hand off the handlebar (he or she is too busy "training" you see..), or giving a slight nod with the head. If its truly one of the Boulder elite (or someone who believes they are), the nod becomes nothing more than a slight raise of the chin and an inclination of the head as they fly by.. while the truly desperate to belong are waving like their finger nail polish needs to dry while simultaneously nodding their head in imitation of a bobble head doll in the back window of a car.

Now, as to who is cooler than whom and how one determines this in the 10 seconds 2 cyclists approach and pass each other, as far as I can tell, it's based on a set of rules based on age and expense of bike, age and musculature of bike rider, whether they're legs are shaved or not, and whether they're an actual pro or just a wannabee.. it's all quite complicated, but most of the local cyclists seem to understand it inately.

And if you don't understand the rules, well, you're likely to be the the bobble-head doll drying yourfingernails, and definitely not part of the "in" crowd anyway.

- Nick
Nick - you are right on the money. We have the same thing here in Park City with cyclists. I have learned to just look "pissed off" and no one messes with me when I ride...

I appreciate the explanation. Maybe I need to learn the game.... Nay, I'll still be just a poser...

-B
Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 PM
blake
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
in CT, i'd say at least 60% wave. (sad, but true, i only wave at 911's and sometimes 944's and 928's). my wife can't stop cracking up when they dont' wave back, but i tell her i have no choice in the matter.
I'm glad that you wave, but am bummed that it is down to 60%. I moved away in 1996 so I guess times change. The CVR was a great group of guys. From what I remember most Porsches on the road in CT had CVR stickers on their rear side windows. That was very cool...

-B
Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 AM
rleeq
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wave at all Porsches even the Cayenne even though it doesn’t have the spirit of the breed. If they don’t wave back for all I care they can eat sh*t and bark at the moon.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:16 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Went driving today...waved at everybody...got some very strange looks...the only ones that waved back were the bikers...the wonderful republic of Boulder.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:53 AM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I appreciate the explanation. Maybe I need to learn the game.... Nay, I'll still be just a poser...
Yeah, well, I went from a wannabee in my 20's to a poser in my 30's to a "I just don't give a **** anymore" in my 40's. Now I'm nearing the end of the 40's and closing in on 50's I'm the complete dork riding along with MTB shoes and pedals on my nice road bike, and calf high white socks (a real cyclist fashion faux pas - gotta wear ankle socks, don't you know). I think the serious guys now cross the road when they see me coming so they don't run the risk of getting associated with me

- Nick
Old 09-08-2007, 12:56 AM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Went driving today...waved at everybody...got some very strange looks...the only ones that waved back were the bikers...the wonderful republic of Boulder.
Hey, I'll wave, Bill, on my bike or in the car.

- Nick

FYI - talked to Orrin at Eurosport the other day - gonna get the short shifter installed next Thursday. He told me to be careful I don't catch "mod fever" from you
Old 09-08-2007, 01:01 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey, I'll wave, Bill, on my bike or in the car.

- Nick

FYI - talked to Orrin at Eurosport the other day - gonna get the short shifter installed next Thursday. He told me to be careful I don't catch "mod fever" from you
Nick, Orrin will take good care of you...he will treat it like it is his own...you'll love the SSK...let's see what's next...suspension????
Old 09-08-2007, 01:09 AM
blake
Drifting

Yeah, well, I went from a wannabee in my 20's to a poser in my 30's to a "I just don't give a **** anymore" in my 40's. Now I'm nearing the end of the 40's and closing in on 50's I'm the complete dork riding along with MTB shoes and pedals on my nice road bike, and calf high white socks (a real cyclist fashion faux pas - gotta wear ankle socks, don't you know). I think the serious guys now cross the road when they see me coming so they don't run the risk of getting associated with me

- Nick
When I moved to Park City back in 2001, I saw a cool Ralph Lauren RLX bike shirt at one of the high-end ski/bike shops in town. Of course, I bought it and wore it cycling. You would not believe the snickers that I got from other riders at stop lights... My attitude is more "f-them" so I wore it until it faded in the wash... Now I wear the yellow Tour de France jersey and pretend that I am Lance Armstrong. I am a bad *** in my own mind....

-B
Old 09-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry this turtle face was because of another tread about how the 996 cab looks like a turtle without a shell....it was never my intention to be mean...and the fat bastard part was also being sarcastic....I think all porsche drivers are goodlooking smart young upstanding men! I think turtles are cute....and I am married with children and don't do airport bathroom footsies!! with other men! So no worries Riad!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I wave from my garage

LOL,

Phil, get out there and drive that thing before the weather turns. Please!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:16 AM
Lerxst
Racer

I tried initiating, but get no response here and have given up. If another car initiates it, I'll be happy to wave back.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:36 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
Although I did see the hottest girl driving a 986 yesterday driving a boxster and waving crazily, she might as well of jumped in my lap. She knew were she belongs on the "totem pole".
Huh, huh, huh, he said "Totem Pole", huh, huh, huh!
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

LOL,

Phil, get out there and drive that thing before the weather turns. Please!!!
Headed out this morning - and promise to wave .. at least to 911 drivers, the jury's out on Boxster crowd.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I showed this thread to my wife it was like everything made sense again. She said that she always slowed down when driving my car and someone flashed their lights; she assumed there were police ahead... :-)

Quick Reply: 911 greeting etiquette