Sponsored by:

Proper Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:19 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Proper Introduction

After selling the 993 7 months ago have beem looking for my next ride and have only looked for one particular combination - the one you see below! This will become my daily once I sell my 03 Audi A6 6-Speed (anyone need one?) but did finally get a chance to take some shots today. Rennlist has been great for learning about what to look for on these cars and I am most appreciative

Last shot was for a 71 in a 55 that he reduced to merely failure to obey road sign. Was a nice gesture on his part i thought I had considered noting that if he had only clocked me earlier... but thought better of it
Attached Images    
Old 09-15-2007, 11:46 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Car and REALLY nice photos!
Old 09-16-2007, 12:16 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Thanks! I am more partial to the first two but what can you do? ;-)
Old 09-16-2007, 12:33 AM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new purchase.. Nice pictures - looks like your caught that "golden time" at twilight when the sun's just low enough to give everything a beautiful glow..

As for that last picture, well, you can't win 'em all. You and Riad are the only ones I know who have the stones to take a picture with flashing lights behind you, though. I'd be sitting there going "no sir," "yes sir" and not doing much else

- Nick
Old 09-16-2007, 12:43 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Ha! I was thinking of Riad's photo when I did it. Had my wife take a few as well from her side but this one came out the best.

BTW - doing the mod for removing stickers from the visors right now. Those are some annoying, in your face, gaudy stickers!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:20 AM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Amazing pictures. Very nice!
Old 09-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

95993, congratulations on the beautiful car. Sorry to hear about the ticket....I would laugh my butt off if someone took a picture like that when I pulled them over.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:13 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats!
Very nice car.
Funny 3rd pic
Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Very nice! Congrats and welcome to the 996 Phunny Pharm!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:43 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Thanks very much for all the welcomes! I do most work my cars myself and plan on doing a number of wear items over the next year or so (clutch, water pump, coolant tank, brakes) so may have to ask a detailed question along the way. BTW -I do have a lift that is available for DIY stuff with advanced arangement.
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

So how long will you go in VA with bumper plugs? I took my tag off the front and kept it close by inside the car until I was ticketed ($80), even though I said, "...but officer it just keeps falling off. Look, here it is, and I'm on my way home to put it back on." Apparently he'd seen me in this car several times before, sans license tag... :-)
Old 09-16-2007, 10:10 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

I suppose when really start driving it regularly. I really hate mucking up the front with the tag. It is a ridiculous law that does not make much sense to me. Only reason in my mind for it is to ensure that traffic cameras can get you from both directions.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:05 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car...welcome to the 996 side! I LOVE seal gray...but I'm biased of course. Your car looks brand new....I thought it was an '04 for sure. Nice shape....what's ur mileage?

Also, would love to hear some feedback on your thoughts b/w the 993 and your current sled.

Best,
J
Old 09-16-2007, 11:23 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Mileage on the car is 43k (have already but about 2k on it in 3 weeks) and he PO's seemed to have kept it in nice shape. There are some blemishes but then again so do I Do not want to rile anyone up with 993 vs 996 debate as they are both wonderful cars in their own right. I did have some mods on the 993 to change the stock characteristics so the comparison is not exactly equal. Here is what I posted on another site:

"This is a very capable car! Plenty of power on tap - much more responsive than my 993 was both in the torque band and at the end of WOT. Comparisons to stock suspension setup between the 993 and the 996 to my seat seem similar being a bit floaty and delayed when turning under power. I swapped out the 993 suspension with PSS9s to correct that and found it much more predicatable. I will not mess with this car this year at all to learn the dynamics as porsche intended then perhaps go with either GT3 or a PSS9 setup. Braking seems on par if not a little better on this car. Tires are stock ContiSport2 and the rears were pretty meaty with the fronts being at the end of their life which I replaced with like. Interior appointments are far more comfortable than the 993 for longer trips. Those cupholders are useless though. As to the sound that everyone claims is anemic - I think it is a little too quiet but when you are on it there is no doubt that you are in a sports car. I did have the RSR mufflers on the 993 and "may" do something similar down the road for sound purposes but I feel there is no need right now. I do think the 993 shape is definitely sexier than this car - BUT it is really growing on me an I do appreciate the sleekness. The 2002 (Mark II) style is to my eye more aggressive then the earlier version and for me is more attractive and distinguished from the boxer (although this is truly a subtle change cosmetically)."
Old 09-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Great write up and beautiful car. Ashburn is a nice place to live - which community are you in?

Quick Reply: Proper Introduction