996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket - 106 in a 50.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:32 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little consolation, but that could (and does) happen to any one of us. Sucks how you can go fast in hyway traffic, but when you are all alone and safe you are more likely to get bagged. Look at it as a "go fast tax." And please don't stop driving your car, you are bumming us out.

By the way, never turn off your V1 laser detection. I can alert you to traffic ahead being shot. Also, jamming laser is legal. Light is not yet under FCC control. And if you live in Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC, say you are experimenting with laser range finding, if challanged.

Last edited by dresler; 09-16-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dresler
By the way, never turn off your V1 laser detection. I can alert you to traffic ahead being shot. Also, jamming laser is legal. Light is not yet under FCC control. And if you live in Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC, say you are experimenting with laser range finding, if challanged.
It's a pretty rare occasion when any laser detector warns from traffic ahead, and one of the other vehicles I use my V1 in uses laser for the cruise control, among other things, and it constantly reflects back to the V1. Coupled with the third brake light that alerts the V1's laser detection on every GM midsize SUV I pull up behind, I just make do without.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

that sucks- something we all can empathise with (the fear of). should consider a laser defuser. any little advantage we can get. anyway, i'd strongly suggest retaining an atty cuz the biggest issue will be your insurance premiums. a p-car with a speeding ticket will invariably lead to skyrocketed premiums. something like getting it reduced to a reckless driving could mitigate that a bit. anyway, an atty would be well worth it finding out. good luck.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:50 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
that sucks- something we all can empathise with (the fear of). should consider a laser defuser. any little advantage we can get. anyway, i'd strongly suggest retaining an atty cuz the biggest issue will be your insurance premiums. a p-car with a speeding ticket will invariably lead to skyrocketed premiums. something like getting it reduced to a reckless driving could mitigate that a bit. anyway, an atty would be well worth it finding out. good luck.
!!!!!!!!!!!! can't reckless driving be a felony?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:53 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In my eyes....you have 3 choices too:

1. consult an atty
2. consult an atty
3. consult an atty

I do this for a living. If you don't want to consult an atty....go to court on the trial date....the officer will likely reduce the ticket for you without you even asking for it. Follow the court's instructions when you arrive, and I'm fairly certain you will benefit by appearing. Forget the explanations....they are garbage and won't effect the points...a waste of time.

J
Old 09-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Team996
5th Gear

Ok, I admit I never got caught doubling the limit. However, on average, I've had more than one speeding ticket for every two years of my life (I'm 28 and I've covered some asphalt), and it's been almost a year since I've had one (time for me to get a V1!). I've learned these three things: 1) Be nice and respectfully request to be let off with a warning...goes a long way when you don't waste their time BSing them; 2) If you're ticketed in Dade-County, FL, you hire an attorney immediately because they've some some perverse system where you pretty much automatically win the case and face court fees instead of the ticket fine (11/15 of my tickets were in FL and I somehow have an impeccable driving record there); 3) If you're in CA, forget fighting the ticket, you'll just waste money on an attorney...but sometimes they forget to put the infraction on your record as they did in my case. I don't know how MD's system works, but I would hire an attorney just to find out. Worse case, you lose an additional $150 bucks for retaining a good traffic attorney. Good luck fighting the good fight! I'm all for responsible speeding, but I think DUI offenders should be on-site-executed by the arresting officer; saves tax dollars in the long run for useful things like counter-IED research.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:52 PM
SexyLexii09xx
1st Gear

spam

Last edited by SexyLexii09xx; 09-16-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Originally Posted by jcalhoun
damn...where in Frederick were you at? I'm in Hagerstown.
On Rt 80 just before the Monocacy River bridge. Not really Frederick, but Frederick county.
I appreciate all the empathy & advice.
I already mailed the "request waiver hearing: Guilty with an explanation statement" but will consult a local atty tomorrow. Frederick County has a real good old boy network, so finding someone plugged in may help.
I'd hire the simpson dream team if I thought they could help (fortunately it looks like O.J. will be needing them again).

Last edited by Kolshak; 09-18-2007 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:17 AM
HBacura
Racer

20 over here in VA and you pay over 1k, plus I believe you could loose your license for at least 6 months!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:18 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, in Cali, you can go to court over and over and get traffic school...its supposed to be once every 18 months, but i just went my 2nd time in a year and one guy in my class was there for his 4th time in a year.....
Old 09-17-2007, 08:11 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a buddy go to JAIL in NOVA for that. 100+ on 29 out by Dulles. You really need to talk to an attorney. You only have ONE shot to get this fixed. Do it in person ignorant to the system and probably have ZERO chance to escape better than a PROFESSIONAL can.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by dresler
!!!!!!!!!!!! can't reckless driving be a felony?
sorry, "careless driving" or whatever general, catchall a particular jurisdiction uses when they reduce some charge.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

In FL I used The Ticket Clinic. There must be someone similar in your state. Got me off the points but still had to pay the fine & court costs (Safe Driver, first and only offense). Trust me, the points will cost you more than the fine and they remain in force longer. I would definately get a law firm on your side and get the Blinder M20 Jammer fitted for any future 'accidental' overages.

Don't forget, judges were once attornies too, they would rather you employed one that not.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Definitely hire a lawyer, like somebody mentioned earlier they have a relationship with judges. Because judges were once lawyers too in most cases! In criminal court your are the criminal and lawyers are the peers! Get some inside edge!
Old 09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change your insurance before you get convicted and/or push the policy to an annual renewal. This way you at least save the higher insurance cost for one year.

I got two 6 point tickets in NOVA earlier this year (2 x > 20mph over limit), made a driver improvement course (-5 points) and had my insurance pay for a small demage on my BMW. My lawyer said that my record is my biggest enemy when we went to court for the 2nd ticket. However, I just paid $400 for the first ticket and $150 for the second. One was reckless driving, second ticket got reduced to regular speeding. I just renewed my insurance policy for another 12 months and actually paid $40 less than last year. It takes some time that the points show up on your record and the insurance gets the info.

Now I only speed on the track.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket - 106 in a 50.