Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket - 106 in a 50.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Kolshak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket - 106 in a 50.

So I’m driving home the other night about 11 pm, the top is down, the temp is a perfect 62 degrees and I‘m approach my favorite road to stretch my legs a little. It’s a long, wide, straight away just before a bridge, road is fenced off on both sides to keep the deer & other critters out, no side streets, no other cars, in the middle of no where.
I just installed the plenum (purchased during the group buy here) and I wanted to feel the extra pull and hear the Gemballa exhaust & K/N CAI combo.
I punched it at ~ 40 mph and the car was absolutely wailing when I heard the V1 laser alert go off. I instantly let off the gas and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a car tucked in behind a tree, and then the blue lights came on. Oh sh*t.
I pull over, turn off the car, take the keys out of the ignition, turn on the interior light, put my hands on the dash and muster the most pitiful look I can – which wasn’t hard . I fully expected to be verbally berated (and half expect to be physically assaulted ) considering the speed – 106 in a 50, but the Frederick County Police Officer didn’t chastise me.
I told the Officer I knew I was speeding but didn’t realize I was doing 106. I threw in the facts I’m an idiot for even momentarily going that fast on a public street but I drive over 30,000 miles a year and haven’t had a moving violation since 1987.
I’ve been pulled over numerous times, but being extra polite, honest, following proper protocol and having a clean record had always gotten me off with warnings. Not this time, full boat 106 in a 50, 5 or 6 points and $530. I’d gladly pay the fine, but the points are a killer. I'm lucky this didn't happen in some other states or I might have spent the night in the clink.
In MD, I have three choices –
1. Pay the fine, accept the points and be done
2. Request a trial with Officer present.
3. Guilty with an explanation – just me and the judge
I chose option 3 because aside from the possibility of temporary insanity, I don’t think there’s a brilliant legal defense an atty can devise for speeding. I’m going to take a driver improvement course prior to appearing, mention my spotless record, ask the judge for mercy and hope he got laid the night before.
I haven’t driven the 996 in over a week and still don’t feel like it.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:15 PM
zoaatc11
Instructor

that's going to hurt...............
Old 09-16-2007, 12:19 PM
ruckmjr
Advanced

Good luck. Got to get back on the horse though - beautiful car.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:49 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your V1 saved you some, and I say some, money. I cannot imagine if you didn't have the V1 and kept accelerating and what would have happened.

GL in court
Old 09-16-2007, 12:56 PM
nosub
Instructor

seriously doubt the V1 made any difference. Maybe a a couple MPH is all. Say this since he was caught by laser. Not possible to put brakes on faster than the speed of light (laser) can ascertain the speed.

Might consider getting an atty...
Old 09-16-2007, 01:20 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with nosub, can't hurt to talk to an attorney. Worst case with one, you spend a few extra bucks but might be worth it if you save a couple of points.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Kolshak
Racer

My atty said most judges look down on folks who bring atty's for speeding violations, but he doesn't specialize in traffic tickets. Still looking to speak with a "local" atty who knows the judges in frederick county.
Kristap - you shoot skeet?
Old 09-16-2007, 01:53 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

I think after living in Germany I will sell my car before returning to the states, I am sorry but the fine is your smallest problem. I would wonder what this will do to your insurance, clean record or not. Best of luck!
Old 09-16-2007, 03:25 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by nosub
seriously doubt the V1 made any difference. Maybe a a couple MPH is all. Say this since he was caught by laser. Not possible to put brakes on faster than the speed of light (laser) can ascertain the speed.

Might consider getting an atty...
I doubt the V1 did anything either, unless someone actually thinks that the officer would have waited to click off another reading on the gun after seeing 106 mph the first time. In this situation, the V1 merely gave you a 2-second warning that you'll be receiving a ticket shortly.

No offense to the V1, of course, but it's just a ticket indicator in this situation. I'm a V1 owner with the laser detection disabled.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:47 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lawyer has relationships with cops and judges so I would consult one. Send the car to me--I'll drive the **** out of it for you!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts
Default I've had good success seeking attorney in area cited that specializes in traffic...

Originally Posted by Kolshak
My atty said most judges look down on folks who bring atty's for speeding violations, but he doesn't specialize in traffic tickets. Still looking to speak with a "local" atty who knows the judges in frederick county.
Kristap - you shoot skeet?
citations though most of course focus on the bigger ones like DUI. Ideally you want to also find this attorney used to be a PA or DA or at least worked on the prosecution side for a while. He/she will know the system better. The Yellow Pages is your friend here.

I've done this when I thought the citation was bogus or in some way deserving to be contested and in all cases the ticket has either been dismissed, reduced to a non-moving violation or in one case dealt with using IIRC the term correctly, probation before judgement, which saw the ticket reduced to non-moving violation after 6 months of a clean driving record and payment of small fine, court costs. This in panhandle of Texas. (Another citation in Cisco Tx avoided when I was pulled over by city kitty staking out interstate and in the dark failed to see the red car in the fast lane pull out and go around my Boxster that I had running 5mph *under* the limit (had early warning of radar trap not only from V1 but CB-radio and reports from big rig truck drivers). In this case the mistake was so egregious I argued (which one should never do) on shoulder and officer relented and let me off with a "warning".)

You need to find an attorney that knows the traffic court system including officers and judges/commissioners, etc., is very close to the courthouse and is sympathetic to your situation. My last ticket was handled by an ex-Porsche owner who happened to be an ex-district attorney...

Citing officer didn't even show up. Ticket dismissed for lack of prosecution.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:24 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Big bummer, but like you said- at least you didn't go to jail for being in triple digits. I also think an attorney would be a good idea to consult with- the fines are small compared to insurance rates, etc. and you have a spotless record for 20 years? You're doing the right thing by doing the driver safety class. You might end up w/ a 2 point violation for failing to use a turn signal, and volunteer community service or a donation to a local charity. Good luck, and glad to hear there were no incidents at speed.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 1 point speeding ticket last year, didn't take traffic school (lazy, didn't think 1 point would effect anything). In communist California my insurance rate just went up $400 for the year!!!

Ticket was $350 for a 75mph at 35mph, 7:00am monday morning in an industrial area. Cops didn't have radar, just said that he had to drive 75mph to catch up with me. I didn't argue, he was pissed from the start. Tried to fight the ticket with that Trial by declaration thing from http://www.ticketassassin.com/ at first, judge didn't even write the reason why it was turned down, just sent back the result and said that I was guilty. I should have tried the traffic school route if I would have known... Ended up paying the ticket, and live with a jacked up insurance now. I think they just wanted to make the fine money.....
Old 09-16-2007, 06:14 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

damn...where in Frederick were you at? I'm in Hagerstown.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Definitely time for an attorney. I was cited for wreckless driving when the officer didn't know how fast I was going. He just listed >80 mph. I paid the attorney, took an online driving class and no points.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket - 106 in a 50.