Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

! Stuck in 3rd, Shifter Feels Disconnected, Cannot move Left-Right or Change Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:06 AM
STRASPEC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ! Stuck in 3rd, Shifter Feels Disconnected, Cannot move Left-Right or Change Gear

Today a lovely soccer mom on a cell cut me off coming out of the supermarket driveway and I was in 3rd then about 300 ft. down there was a stop sign so I slowed down (brake and tried to downshift) and my shifter then felt like it disconnected from the tranny and I could not engage another gear but was stuck in 3rd. I slowly pulled off to the side and found that my shifter would not move side to side or left to right, and cannot get out of 3rd gear. So I had a friend pick me up and went and got tools and I took apart the center console and discovered that the shifter linkage the blue cable with blue linkage on the left that allows the shifter to move back and forth will not retract into its sleeve. The black cable on the right will move and retract into the sleeve and go up and down, but the other will not. I tried taking the shifter apart to verify its not the B&M SSK thats the problem, but its the cable itself. Anyone have this problem? I cannot move the car and can only slip the clutch or burn it (which I do not want to do) to move it.

**its the silver metal connector that wont retract into the blue sleeve.**

Thanks for the reference pics Renntech!

Suggestions and advice are appreciated!

Last edited by STRASPEC; 09-30-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:42 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure I understand the difference between left/right and side to side??
Anyway, lift the car up and follow the linkage back to the transmission, has it jumped off the "ball joint"?
If so just snap it back on.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:47 AM
STRASPEC
Instructor

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Not sure I understand the difference between left/right and side to side??
Anyway, lift the car up and follow the linkage back to the transmission, has it jumped off the "ball joint"?
If so just snap it back on.
left to right or side to side are the same thing. Ball joint meaning the part where it connects to the shifter mechanism inside the car? I checked the part connecting to the shifter mechanism and its connected just fine. The problem is that the metal cable won't retract back into its sleeve leading under the car...
Old 09-30-2007, 10:37 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ball joint on the arm sticking out of the transmission under the car. Right side in front of rear wheels.
You need to lift the car to see it.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

If youre stuck in third, its the right cable, the one with the evo link, the controls shifting up/down. The left link controls left/right movement. Most likely the linkage at transmition end has snapped off.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:03 PM
STRASPEC
Instructor

Unhappy

OK I took a look under the car nothing was loose or disconnected, but the cable "A" was severed (so thats why the shifter feels disconnected...). I don't know how this happened but the cable itself is broken (not connected to the transmission link). The shifter won't move side to side because its still stuck in 3rd gear. Anyone know the part number and how to install the cable "A?" by chance? How the hell did this happen? Could it be caused by the B&M SSK?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:18 PM
mrhmmhmm
Intermediate

I had the same problem, dealer fixed it under warranty. Everything was bone stock. It breaks often enough to have a graphic made!
Old 09-30-2007, 07:28 PM
STRASPEC
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrhmmhmm
I had the same problem, dealer fixed it under warranty. Everything was bone stock. It breaks often enough to have a graphic made!
How did you get your car there LOL? Mine is stuck in 3rd and I cannot move it, plus if I got it towed it would ruin the transmission if the tow truck pulled it up while its in gear instead of neutral.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by STRASPEC
How did you get your car there LOL? Mine is stuck in 3rd and I cannot move it, plus if I got it towed it would ruin the transmission if the tow truck pulled it up while its in gear instead of neutral.
get under the car and move the lever with the wheel (counterweight) attached to it and find neutral (by pushing the car). the top lever is the left/right shift and the top lever is the up/down shifter
Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 AM
STRASPEC
Instructor

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by redridge
get under the car and move the lever with the wheel (counterweight) attached to it and find neutral (by pushing the car). the top lever is the left/right shift and the top lever is the up/down shifter
Thanks for the advice Redridge, I appreciate it. I went under the car and pulled the bottom black lever in the middle position and it went into neutral so I got it towed to my house so I can work on it. It was unnerving having cars drive past me 5 feet away at 30 mph while I am under my car trying to fix the damn thing. I'm going to call porsche and see if I can get the part # for the cable attachment and latch.

Anyone know it by chance?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:59 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

hmmm, Worst case they might have to change the whole cable, prob might have to buy the whole set... I think this is a known issue. You have warrenty?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 AM
STRASPEC
Instructor

Originally Posted by redridge
hmmm, Worst case they might have to change the whole cable, prob might have to buy the whole set... I think this is a known issue. You have warrenty?
Probably just need the one lower black cable set and I will be fine! Not sure how to install it, but it looks pretty self explanatory. No warranty, I work on my car myself, unless its something out of my league. I'm a perfectionist and very meticulous!
Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by STRASPEC
Probably just need the one lower black cable set and I will be fine! Not sure how to install it, but it looks pretty self explanatory. No warranty, I work on my car myself, unless its something out of my league. I'm a perfectionist and very meticulous!
Good for you, Are those pics you posted, your own... If so, then you should be fine. If not post on here. Im sure people will put their .02 cnts
Old 10-02-2007, 12:35 AM
STRASPEC
Instructor

OK, its approximately a $350 part and comes in a pair: the left and right cable & up and down cable. The ball joint hinges at the end that connect to the transmission lever, are also included. I was told that these are a fairly common fix for the MY99 C2. Pics coming soon!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

This is why this site is an f'in bar of gold, i love this ****, "Show me the diy".

Quick Reply: ! Stuck in 3rd, Shifter Feels Disconnected, Cannot move Left-Right or Change Gear