New method to put PSE in All-time Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smithk993
I haven't noticed any effects of a vacuum leak
That is because it only happens when the car is going between 35 and 45 mph.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:33 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Unfortunately, you will induce a vacuum leak in the engine when it goes through the 35-45 mph range when you disconnect any of the PSE vacuum hoses, and not address the root cause, which is the speed signal allowing the PSE relay to go into quiet mode.

There are 2 "proper" ways to modify the PSE to get rid of the 35-45 mph quiet mode, that will not have any detrimental effects.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector on the PSE vacuum switch in the engine compartment. The downside of this is that manual control of the mufflers for is disabled.

2. Disconnect the Pink speed signal wire from the PSE relay plug on the relay support bracket under the drivers side of the dashboard. Without a speed signal, the relay does not operate the quiet mode at 35-45 mph. This method retains full control of the quiet mode via the dash switch, and does not damage any components.

Modifying the PSE relay by cutting components is not recommended.
I am re-hashing an old thread but my friend has a 2007 C2 with the PSE. He asked me to look into disabling the dashboard switch so it is loud all of the time as he is mechanically uninclined. Can you please elaborate on number 2 above? Do you have any pics on the Pink signal wire under the dash to disconnect? If not, can you point me where under the drivers side I should look.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 05-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

If your friend just wants to disable the PSE quiet mode entirely and in the process completely disable the dash switch, the simplest way to do that is to unplug the vacuum solenoid valve in the engine compartment. it is next to the power steering fluid tank and above the battery tap. It looks like this:

Just pull the brown connector, tape over the end of it on both sides to protect from gunk, and you are done. The PSE will now be loud all of the time.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I like method number 2.... but instead of removing the pink wire, I installed a small toggle switch in between, now I have both auto/manual option with a flick of the switch.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, this method seems to work for me.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard creating a vacum leak creates raised pressure on the RMS

Why would anyone ever want to turn the PSE off??? The guy who owned the car before me did the relay hack.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Orient Express
If your friend just wants to disable the PSE quiet mode entirely and in the process completely disable the dash switch, the simplest way to do that is to unplug the vacuum solenoid valve in the engine compartment. it is next to the power steering fluid tank and above the battery tap. It looks like this:

Just pull the brown connector, tape over the end of it on both sides to protect from gunk, and you are done. The PSE will now be loud all of the time.
Thanks. Is it the "Y" shaped connector attached to the gray box with orange plug?

Adam
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by deckman
I heard creating a vacum leak creates raised pressure on the RMS

Why would anyone ever want to turn the PSE off??? The guy who owned the car before me did the relay hack.
one great reason to turn it off is for early morning Sunday drives.... why wake up the whole household/neighborhood.... you can sneak out under the radar.

Originally Posted by alevine
Thanks. Is it the "Y" shaped connector attached to the gray box with orange plug?

Adam
yes, the orange connector.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:28 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Thanks for everyone's help! Much appreciated. I plan to try the mod on my friends car this weekend.

Adam
Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I cut the diode on the relay and it worked great
Old 05-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

The relay diode mutilation is essentially the same as cutting the pink speed signal line. They are all part of the same circuit line.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 AM
dmw
Instructor

I just want to defeat the 35-45mph cutout. I want my dash switch that defeats the PSE to still work.
Does cutting the diode just defeat the mph cutout? I don't want to disable the PSE switch on the dash.
Also, where is the pink wire found (in case I want to go that way - it seems easier). Thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:29 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Cutting the diode does not disable the dash switch.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 PM
adg44
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest way to do this is to just unplug the relay all together. This disables the switch on the dash, but who cares, since the sport exhaust sounds perfect. Then if you ever want to put it back, just plug in the relay again.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Essentially disconnecting the pink speed signal wire on the back of the PSE relay connector (what the relay plugs into) or cutting the relay diode does the same thing as all the diode does is prevents current from going into the speed signal line.

To get at the pink speed signal wire, you have to get at the back of the replay support bracket, which is held in by one bold and a hinge clip. It is not that hard to do, just very awkward get up into the drivers footwell.

Pulling the relay out and working on it at a bench is much easier, and I would suggest rather than cutting the diode, that you desolder it from the relay on one side, that way you can always put it back.

This will keep the dash switch operative and disable the speed dependent "quiet mode" .

Quick Reply: New method to put PSE in All-time Sport Mode