996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the words of encouragement.
Joe, I was a little worried about the suede. It feels really nice, but I don't know how it will hold up. I love all versions of the 911 turbo, both old and new. Someday I hope to own one. Tippy's new ride is gorgeous. I had the pleasure of driving several 996 turbos when Chuck Jones was shopping for his (including his X50). The power is addictive.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Mark, you should contact one of the 911 magazines and have them right an article about this. This is something you don't see every day.

Jay
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Thanks guys, I appreciate the words of encouragement.
Joe, I was a little worried about the suede. It feels really nice, but I don't know how it will hold up. I love all versions of the 911 turbo, both old and new. Someday I hope to own one. Tippy's new ride is gorgeous. I had the pleasure of driving several 996 turbos when Chuck Jones was shopping for his (including his X50). The power is addictive.
Mark, maybe you can buy CHuck's TT after he turns it into a B-B-Q pit.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim: Do you actually put food into that dirty mouth?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Tim: Do you actually put food into that dirty mouth?
Chuck, I hadn't seen you around here for a while so I thought this may get a response form you. No harm intended.

How is that sweet TT treating you? Do you have any additional mods planned?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking great!!

I did the same thing with a 78' Trans-Am when I was about 20- which was much easier to replace the dash than the 996 that's for sure.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Joe, I was a little worried about the suede. It feels really nice, but I don't know how it will hold up.
If it's suede, probably not well. If it's Alcantara, you might be amazed. That stuff takes incredible punishment and still looks and naps like suede.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok my contribution.

I have the LWFW. It does all the things good things that redridge says it does.

It does clack a bit sometimes (not always) at idle when the clutch is out. Also you hear it rattle a bit when you are being lazy and not downshifting and trying to accelerate a little in say 5th gear down at a low rpm like under 2k. Hardly ever happens.

Cheers! Paul

Originally Posted by redridge
yeah, a test drive is your best bet... The LWFW will change your driving style. It will rev up quicker, but it will also rev down quicker as well... I would like to test drive one for like an hour or so, I only drove one for 10 min... that would be nice!... If you gonna track often, Id say...DO IT!
Here is an interesting article... its for a vette though.

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0407vet...ion/index.html
Old 01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Mark, this thing has come such a long way. Great Work!! Keep it up, such an impressive rebuild!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Jay, someone here suggested that I submit the details of my previous rebuild (99 vesuvio 996 that had an engine fire) to Excellence magazine. I submitted it to them via email. I never received a response. Thanks for the suggestion.
Tim, nice idea...maybe you should suggest that he upgrade his stereo.
Riad, thanks. I miss the simplicity of the older cars. I learned how to drive in a 69 Trans Am.
BruceP, I hope it's Alcantara...it sure feels nice!
Paul, thanks for the info on the LWFW...It should be a fun upgrade after I get the car running.
Michael, thank you.

I finished the passenger side of the dash today including the wiring that goes along the side of the floor pan. I came across one part that I can not figure out how to mount. It is a small fan and sensor that mounts next to the back of the AC/heater blower. I have a picture of it installed on the donor car and I still can't figure out how or where it attaches . In the following pictures it is visible. Does anyone know what it is or where it attaches? Thanks for any information.
Attached Images    
Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

if the part number of the mystery piece is 996 653 241 00, then it is the side vent interior sensor. It goes next to the passenger vent.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Orient Express, thanks you. That is the correct part. I still can't figure out what it mounts to. I found a picture of it when I removed the old dash. It must have been mounted to the foam pad under the passenger side of the dash or the dash itself.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2008, 03:57 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark: Looks like your'e making progress....that painted dash support makes a lot of difference. I still cant' figure why Porsche didn't paint it in the building process. You're developing quite a following of devotees to your ongoing project. You're getting a reputation for not just being a mechanic, but more of a neurosurgeon with all those wiring circuits. I still think you were a masochist for buying that car....but I'll be eating my words when you fire it up and take it out to Salmon Falls. I want to be there for the occasion and take some pictures.

Tried to call you today to come up...your robot answered. I'd like to see the progress your're making. Give me a call when you have time for lunch. My TT went to the shop today...see the post under "Throwing random CEL codes"....sort of annoys me. My old Iris Blue 996 was more reliable...hate to say it....but I sort of miss the old gal. But she's in good hands now.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Orient Express, thanks you. That is the correct part. I still can't figure out what it mounts to. I found a picture of it when I removed the old dash. It must have been mounted to the foam pad under the passenger side of the dash or the dash itself.
Mark - Item 17 in the diagram

Last edited by Loren; 07-23-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

Mark:

The sensor sits next (under?) the air duct on the passenger side air vent. There is a grille on that air vent that allows the sensor to suck cabin air in. Chances are there is some sort of mounting there.

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild