Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mfletch:

did you ever sell your other P?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 358 Posts

Mark, you are my hero. I can't believe you are doing this...I would love to do something like this someday, as I get such a kick out of saving money and doing the work myself (it must be my alter-ego, since my day-to-day office job requires no dexterity or getting even remotely dirty/bloody). Please keep us updated. By the way, I still have the ac surround if you end up needing it!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:46 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Mark, nice progress. Keep the pics coming!

Best of luck!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Mark,

I have been away and just caught up with this project. Gotta love the MK1 aeros.. Yours will be one of a kind. Are you looking for a set of sport design rims like the picture you posted?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Mark:

Keep up the great work! There's NO WAY I could put it back together again.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it. I am Porscheless until I get this done, so I have lots of motivation. My daily driver is now a 03 BMW 330i. The slogan is true..."there is no substitute".
Each hour spent brings me a little closer. I need to remove the center console and then the carpet. I am going to buy a spray can of factory colored paint so I can paint the underside of the dash support/firewall area. I am the only person that will ever know or care. If I wasn't so ****, this would go a lot faster.
Carlo$, the vesuvio 996 went to it's new owner last week via transport. I understand your reluctance on the tittronic. I'm obviously going back to a stick for my toy car.
Scott, you would enjoy doing a project car. Judging from the quality of the mods you have already done, you definately have the ability and patience. It has been a great bonding experience with my wife and kids. I got a AC surround off the donor car. Thanks for the kind offer.
DFC, thanks.
chsu74, I love the sport design wheels. Redridge has been kind enough to send me pictures of his aero 996 with those and the polished turbo twist wheels that I have. I should be happy with those for a while. Later, I would love to get sport design wheels and mount some track only tires on them.
Down south, thanks. I keep wondering if I'll be able to get it back together. The more parts I have to remove, the more I worry.
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I keep one thing in mind when doing projects is that my mind is no good anymore. Take plenty of pictures as you go even when you think you will remember. I have to laugh alittle when you said you hoped you did not have to take out the interior like I did . Many including me I'm sure hope you do not leave this forum soon after your project is completed because your knowledge will really be missed. For something to look forward to, this is not the scariest part ... turning the car over for the first time is...!!! Keep it up looks good so far, if that makes any sense.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:40 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Mark, that thing has come such a long way, keep up the good work!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Seriously, that's great work.

When I retire I'm going to do this full-time. Who am I bull****ting when I retire they'll be shoveling dirt on my casket.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Mother, I'm up to 160 pictures of just the dash. Your advice is obviously the voice of experience. I found out the hard way, the first time around. I regretted not taking enough pictures. I briefly considered trying to splice carpet and wires so I didn't have to rip the interior apart. I will sleep better knowing that I did it right the first time around. I told myself that I would never part with my vesuvio 996...it was a labor of love. This time I really mean it. I'm going to hang on to this one (unless someday a GT3 or turbo project car finds it's way into my garage) I really didn't mean that. This one is probably pushing my wonderful wife's tolerance. I should find a hobby that isn't so hard on our checking account. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm seriously impressed with what you did with your project. I bet it is all worth it now that you get to enjoy the incredible acceleration. The vesuvio car didn't start when I finally finished it. I had to have it towed to the dealer...the new key had to be programmed.
Michael and Riad, thanks guys. I would find something less stressful to do full-time when you retire or you might be pushing up daisies prematurely...I guess there are worse things you could do prematurely.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

It's Naked! I just finished (with the help of my 14 year old son) removing the last of the burnt interior. I have a little clean-up work to do and then the fun part starts. I get to try and remember how to put everything back together. It sure is tempting to gut the interior and make the car a whole lot faster.
Attached Images     
Old 12-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This thread is a little little like watching the A-team (remember Mr. T). The end result of this endeavor will be well worth it, and from the looks of your patience and attention to detail, better than the day it rolled out of Zuffenhausen. If I lived closer, I would find reasons to come over to watch and help (read stand in the way).

Keep the updates coming. At some point, I'll be using this thread as a reference to see what's behind that dash. Awesome.

Stefan
Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Stefan, I'm actually old enough to remember them. Thanks for the kind words. If you lived closer, I would enjoy the company.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefan Richter
This thread is a little little like watching the A-team (remember Mr. T). The end result of this endeavor will be well worth it, and from the looks of your patience and attention to detail, better than the day it rolled out of Zuffenhausen. If I lived closer, I would find reasons to come over to watch and help (read stand in the way).

Keep the updates coming. At some point, I'll be using this thread as a reference to see what's behind that dash. Awesome.

Stefan
Might be more like MacGyver, he did better quality work than the A-Team

Really nice job! with I had the time or patience for such a project.

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild