Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Tiptronic - what do manual owners think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:30 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Tiptronic - what do manual owners think?

I've been thinking of returning to the Porsche fold. Okay, I've been thinking of get a Z4M to replace my current Z4, and it occured to me that I could get a 2002+ 996 cab for the same money, so I've been browsing the web to see what's out there. There's a very nice example nearby with the colors I want (seal gray/black/black) and options I want (PSM. heated seats, hardtop) but it's Tiptronic. I've never driven one - in fact, I haven't driven an auto in years (both Bimmers are manuals).

On the one hand, I've heard good things about Tiptronic, the car will never see the track, and in my heart of hearts I know I'm no Michael Schumacher, able to wring every last drop of performance from the car with preternatural heeling and toeing.

On the other - it's a sports car.

I'm curious if any other manual-only owners have made the switch and are happy. I'd rather not waste the seller's time taking a test-drive - I've sold a Porsche or two in my time.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's the odd time when you've been stuck in rush hour traffic, stop and go and your left thigh is going to sleep that I have momentarily wished for a tiptronic!
But most of the time it's just the fun of winding the engine up in each gear that makes me enjoy the 6 speed. It's not even hard acceleration, even just easing it up that feels like you're more connected to the drive.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 10-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

A Tip owner here... my car is a commuter daily driver... I LOVE my tiptronic
Old 10-20-2007, 08:40 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 996 was my 3rd 911. The first two were manual and the 3rd was a Tip so that the wife could also drive it. I will never do that again...

The Tip was great and the car was very fast but I missed the connection you feel when you are driving a manual car. If you have had manuals in the past and you have been happy with them, I'd stick with a manual...
Old 10-20-2007, 08:48 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no way Schumacher or any pro would ever drive an automatic!!! I mean, really, a car with steering wheel controls can't be worth it's weight in.... hey, wait a minute.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pszikla
There's the odd time when you've been stuck in rush hour traffic, stop and go and your left thigh is going to sleep that I have momentarily wished for a tiptronic!
But most of the time it's just the fun of winding the engine up in each gear that makes me enjoy the 6 speed. It's not even hard acceleration, even just easing it up that feels like you're more connected to the drive.
What he said. Plus, revving the engine for the sound before starting off in 1st gear would be missed terribly.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:14 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I would never buy a Porsche with a Tip. If I wanted an automatic tranny, I'd buy a Mazda 6. Oh wait,.... I did get a Mazda 6 (wife's car)!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry t say but the F1 cars are ALL tip tronics.....so schumacher won all his races with a 2 buttons on his wheel and NO clutch pedal!

connection with you car??? you are sitting in it..isn't that enough connection?? I sometimes wonder if i read about the blown up engines in Porsches how many are actual stick and how many are tip?? because I can tell you as a European EX stick driver....most people do not know how to really drive stick.

If you track...get a stick...if you use the car as a toy...get a stick....if you commute (or are a lazy a.. like me) get a tip.....you can always use the switches on your steering wheel to revv the engine.

just my 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:32 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

yeah, the ideal car would logically have as few contols as possible. But to have fun is not logical.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tip as a daily driver is a great car.!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:55 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
sorry t say but the F1 cars are ALL tip tronics.....so schumacher won all his races with a 2 buttons on his wheel and NO clutch pedal!

connection with you car??? you are sitting in it..isn't that enough connection?? I sometimes wonder if i read about the blown up engines in Porsches how many are actual stick and how many are tip?? because I can tell you as a European EX stick driver....most people do not know how to really drive stick.

If you track...get a stick...if you use the car as a toy...get a stick....if you commute (or are a lazy a.. like me) get a tip.....you can always use the switches on your steering wheel to revv the engine.

just my 2 cents.
Nicolaas from what I recall, you got the Tip because your wife wanted to be able to drive the P-car and she can't drive a stick. Then after driving it a few times she decided she didn't like the P-car and you were stick with the Tip.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...14&postcount=9

If you had to do it all over again, would you get a Tip or a manual? Come on, be truthful!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:10 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I also have always had a stick in the 3rd car play toy, but started w/ a tip 968 5 years ago for obvious wifely reasons. I sure miss the manual tranny for sheer pleasure, but the tiptronic is much easier on the commute and recent left hip replacement.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:22 AM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skiracer
I also have always had a stick in the 3rd car play toy, but started w/ a tip 968 5 years ago for obvious wifely reasons. I sure miss the manual tranny for sheer pleasure, but the tiptronic is much easier on the commute and recent left hip replacement.
Make us feel bad why dontcha?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Caguy
Advanced

I got a manual for wife reasons...

No she has no reason to drive it!

Quick Reply: 996 Tiptronic - what do manual owners think?