Sponsored by:

Mods Round 2B - *Ding*

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Born On 911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chads996
Don't EVER say that to your girl. Oh..tips.
lol ...
Old 12-06-2007, 12:43 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I love the color scheme, good work!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:59 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Statistically insignificant difference. Besides, Talledega is an oval track, is it not? Now, show me some 'ring times. That's gospel, baby. Everybody knows that Walter Rohrl took a narrow body 996 around the Nordschliefe in 8:17. What is not widely known is that they swapped out the tips after that run, replacing them with chrome. With the car still warm, he went back out and posted an astonishing 5:56. The record was never posted, however, because his engine grenaded due to a failed RMS and he coasted across the line. The RMS was found in Liechtenstein some months later, along with four pistons and a K&N filter. The remaining pistons are unaccounted for, as is the floating crankshaft.

Bruce, your story rings true, however...Walter was hung over from a previous night Oktoberfest bash and his impaired condition on the following morning adversely affected his Nordschliefe run of 8:17. I might add that being hung over didn't ever seem to adversely affect Mickey Mantle, but that's another story.

What you didn't menetion is that when Walter came in, he drank 1 litre of a special home remedy for hangovers (brewed by his mother) and had a tryst with the daughter of one of his crew members. Once back in the car (with new chrome tips and a smile on his face), his condition improved, and so did his time...all the way down to 5:56. It was a remarkable run, as you suggest in your post, but the blown engine took a bit of the shine off the day.

Quick Reply: Mods Round 2B - *Ding*