Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OT: Rennlist addiction with my Iphone; Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes push would be nice but once every 15 minutes is just fine for me. If I am looking for something TIME SENSITIVE that 15 minutes wouldn't cover then I just open mail and it checks automatically when I open it.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Yes push would be nice but once every 15 minutes is just fine for me. If I am looking for something TIME SENSITIVE that 15 minutes wouldn't cover then I just open mail and it checks automatically when I open it.
I agree.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by auto-xr
From what I hear, this is why the gen 1 iphone didn't have 3G to begin with. Although 3G is a power hog, I still would have like to have the option to turn it off/on. As is, it's battery life is very good compared to other smart phones. I get about 4.5 hrs of constant web/ipod/phone usage. I do have to charge the iphone every night to get max usage though.
To be fair to the other 3G providers, I think it's not so much the 3G in general that's a power hog, it's the HSDPA version of 3G that AT&T has chosen to utilize that eats all the power. I use EVDO and have never noticed a power issue, but most of my usage is on a computer card.

Personally, I didn't want anything to do with AT&T's 3G effort after reading that devices can't seamlessly switch from low-speed (EDGE) to high-speed (HSDPA) like the competition can (seamless from 1x to EVDO). Anyone know if this is still a limitation?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:34 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by auto-xr
Nope. That drives me crazy. Still can't send pics via texting either.
Wouldn't text messages only send text. I think you need to use email to send other types of data.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

People are confusing SMS with MMS. The iPhone doesn't have MMS which is what people want. Amazes me the some don't know the difference. iPhone never claimed to have MMS. If you want that you need a less complicated device like a RAZR. Christ, you give people what is essentially a "basic" iMac in their pocket that can do phone, texting, visual voicemail, GPS (technically), FULL web browsing, iCal, Mail, iTunes, Video, etc, etc, etc, and there is still more you want? There is NO PHONE that does what the iPhone does and there is NO phone that does everything. Bunch of spoiled babies here. Me included
Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Anyone know if Google successfully bought their own bandwith? There was one frequency up for auction by the FCC in December. I am hoping that Google would get the bandwidthand to compete with the likes of AT&T and Verizon on a level never been seen before.

A close friend of mine who works in the industry have been working with Google on the project. He cannot say much but says the drawing board has been cleared and Google is coming out with a smartphone incorporating both Apple and PCs' strengths.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

I love mine, I used to post every minute before work went crazy and consumed my life... I miss the renn.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Wouldn't text messages only send text. I think you need to use email to send other types of data.
Other phones (like the razr) can send txt messages with pictures/vids.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:45 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
People are confusing SMS with MMS. The iPhone doesn't have MMS which is what people want. Amazes me the some don't know the difference. iPhone never claimed to have MMS. If you want that you need a less complicated device like a RAZR. Christ, you give people what is essentially a "basic" iMac in their pocket that can do phone, texting, visual voicemail, GPS (technically), FULL web browsing, iCal, Mail, iTunes, Video, etc, etc, etc, and there is still more you want? There is NO PHONE that does what the iPhone does and there is NO phone that does everything. Bunch of spoiled babies here. Me included
While it's true that most people don't know the difference between MMS and SMS, they don't need to know the difference to know that they want to be able to send pictures and videos to their friends with their iPhone.

As for it essentially being a basic iMac, I'd support that statement more if it supported external storage and a way to download a file from the Internet. You're spot-on with the rest, though--even if you have a smartphone that will do everything you want, it won't have the iPhone interface. I can't wait for V2.0, end of next summer, maybe?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would it be wrong of me to say that mine has frozen up 5-6 times and when it freezes the off button is also frozen....

you know I should have known better before I bought it, and slamming them on an important website such as this without them being able to defend themselves is in the eyes of many wrong... lol could't resist nod to my DPS thread that people love to hate.

anyway all flaws aside its still a cool little toy that I can also make the occasional call on. Edge is painfully slow and especially so with google, I swear google hates apple or something. It takes longer to load and has more aborted attempts on my phone than any other website and it has NO graphics. I've started to use yaho search but it sucks bigtime.

Quick Reply: OT: Rennlist addiction with my Iphone; Crazy?