Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OT: Rennlist addiction with my Iphone; Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Rennlist addiction with my Iphone; Crazy?

Ok since I got my IPhone I have been checking out rennlist all the time, while I'm shopping for food, waiting in line, waiting to be served in restaurants, etc. etc, etc. My name is Robert and I'm an addict.

Seriously tho, anyone else all of a sudden checking out this site, ebay, etc way more than necessary since obtaining that little infernal machine because its its just way more fun than a phone should be? BTW, I hated all my previous cell phones and I WAS looking forward to hating this one too.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

surfing is way too slow even on 3g. typing sux on the iphone too. not a fan at this time.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:08 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by galeriehughie

Ok since I got my IPhone I have been checking out rennlist all the time, while I'm shopping for food, waiting in line, waiting to be served in restaurants, etc. etc, etc. My name is Robert and I'm an addict.

Seriously tho, anyone else all of a sudden checking out this site, ebay, etc way more than necessary since obtaining that little infernal machine because its its just way more fun than a phone should be? BTW, I hated all my previous cell phones and I WAS looking forward to hating this one too.
My name is Ludwig and I am also an addict. Decided not to fight it and financed a full year membership. Now I am a proud junky
Old 01-13-2008, 03:04 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Ben you are nuts - the iPhone is the greatest invention of all time. Period.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

i love the iPhone...I got 3 and it is the best invention EVER! The simplicity of all programs...and wait till February when they open the forum to developers....the gadgets and useable application will be thru the roof.

Agreed that the websurfing is slow....but wifi makes up for it....and the typing is getting used to, but it still beats the dirty worn buttons on my MDA.

The only HUGE problem is that AT&T SUCKS!!!! big time.....but visible voicemail makes up for this....no more listening to all the voicemails...just click on the one you want to hear.

So yes I am an addict.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As long as you have a wifi connection, Rennlist is sweet! But if you have to use the EDGE network, screw that. I love my iPhone and the typing is simple as can be and even auto corrects so you can type quickly.

One trick is to go into your settings here on Rennlist and TURN OFF IMAGES so the pages load faster and you can surf tolerably on the EDGE network. The new gen of iPhones will have 3G but for battery sake the first gen came with EDGE only and they are NOT upgradeable. You will have to sell yours and buy a new one if you want 3G.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:36 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sooo ready for the next gen iPhone. I mean, what's the deal with no 3G support? And no MMS messages? WTF? Everytime a friend sends me an MMS message I have to log on to this retarded AT&T website to look at it -- give me a break! I tell you what, if Apple had come out with the Touch at the same time they launched the iPhone I would have gotten a Touch and a Nokia.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:44 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
As long as you have a wifi connection, Rennlist is sweet! But if you have to use the EDGE network, screw that. I love my iPhone and the typing is simple as can be and even auto corrects so you can type quickly.

One trick is to go into your settings here on Rennlist and TURN OFF IMAGES so the pages load faster and you can surf tolerably on the EDGE network. The new gen of iPhones will have 3G but for battery sake the first gen came with EDGE only and they are NOT upgradeable. You will have to sell yours and buy a new one if you want 3G.
Did they do that for the sake of the battery, or for the sake of Apple and AT&T's wallets when all the current owners buy the 3G ones at, say, $599 again?

Either way, it was a glaring flaw in an otherwise spectacular product. The only reason I don't own one is because after using EVDO, I don't want anything to do with EDGE service.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

$599? Where did you get that from? I paid $299 for mine. And yes, that is EXACTLY why since the majority of users were going to use wifi for surfing EDGE hardware was used therefore making battery life longer. The other rationale offered was that email and texting is FAST on the EDGE network so the "only" thing to suffer is web.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:07 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
$599? Where did you get that from? I paid $299 for mine. And yes, that is EXACTLY why since the majority of users were going to use wifi for surfing EDGE hardware was used therefore making battery life longer. The other rationale offered was that email and texting is FAST on the EDGE network so the "only" thing to suffer is web.
$599 is what the original 8 GB iPhone cost when it was released, and I was somewhat joking about selling the early adopters new phones. As for the battery issue, it was at least as much about the power requirements of the HSPDA chip as it was about the wifi.

Personally, I think it was a glaring flaw, but that has more to do with AT&T than it does Apple--it's a great product that I wish would have found a home with an EVDO carrier instead. That's all.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

You know, there's a reason that I have a phone that does the singular job of making phone calls.

I own most Apple products, but the iPhone never appealled to me. Much as it's a great product I'm of the philosophy of buying a product that does one thing and does it very well. I'm hardly away from an internet connection and even if I were I know that surfing on a tiny screen doesn't appeal to me.

Tell me why people feel the need to be connected and available 24/7?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
surfing is way too slow even on 3g. typing sux on the iphone too. not a fan at this time.
I hate to agree with Ben about anything, but I think he may be right. My wife was an early iPhone adopter, and I loved her phone for about a week. But surfing is slow when you're not wifi, and the "keyboard" drives me nuts.

As a portable computer in a wifi spot, it's great. But out on the road, as a phone, give me a blackberry instead.

I hate myself for writing that.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by carpundit
I hate to agree with Ben about anything, but I think he may be right. My wife was an early iPhone adopter, and I loved her phone for about a week. But surfing is slow when you're not wifi, and the "keyboard" drives me nuts.

As a portable computer in a wifi spot, it's great. But out on the road, as a phone, give me a blackberry instead.

I hate myself for writing that.
i'll give u a high5 for your note here. made me smile.

i can see from this thread who runs a truly busy/mobile work schedule v. those that have their own creative ways to manage time and contacts. there's no way i could use an iphone as it stands for the things i need to do in my daily life. it's a nice, slick product. i like apple as i am a vain guy.

but in reality, the sucker needs to go thru a few iterations and the overall telecom/cell infrastructure and hardware such as batteries juicing these things up needs further innovation to truly make it a no-brainer product. this is true not just for apple but for everyone else out there.

for now, i've got my samsung blackjack 2 and though not as cute as the iphone, it's getting the job done. even if this thing runs on 3g, surfing the web is an arduous task outside of checking weather, headlines, and the like. there's now way i'd try to surf rennlist or any other forum thru a mobile phone right now.

not sure if i'll ever have that need so long as i have a laptop and wifi outside of the home so you know where i'm going with this point...
Old 01-14-2008, 09:22 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i'll give u a high5 for your note here. made me smile.

i can see from this thread who runs a truly busy/mobile work schedule v. those that have their own creative ways to manage time and contacts. there's no way i could use an iphone as it stands for the things i need to do in my daily life. it's a nice, slick product. i like apple as i am a vain guy.

but in reality, the sucker needs to go thru a few iterations and the overall telecom/cell infrastructure and hardware such as batteries juicing these things up needs further innovation to truly make it a no-brainer product. this is true not just for apple but for everyone else out there.

for now, i've got my samsung blackjack 2 and though not as cute as the iphone, it's getting the job done. even if this thing runs on 3g, surfing the web is an arduous task outside of checking weather, headlines, and the like. there's now way i'd try to surf rennlist or any other forum thru a mobile phone right now.

not sure if i'll ever have that need so long as i have a laptop and wifi outside of the home so you know where i'm going with this point...

No EDGE where you are? I'll agree 3G is slow, but for "checking the weather" kind of stuff, EDGE is plenty quick.

My vote on the main topic: I, too, prefer a dedicated communications device. I just, with a heavy heart, left the Treo world (perv that I am) and got a Blackberry. Phone and email, that's all I need.

But.

The iPod Touch? Basically iPhone minus the phone. It's just brilliant. Junior has one, and the You-Tube gang don't find it any hardship to watch video on that thing. The interfaces are breathtaking, kooky but also simple and intuitive, and it just plain works. The only issue is a rather silly amount of memory. 16 gigs isn't enough for music, never mind video. But it really is a sweet little toy.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Until the iPhone is offered on Verizon, no thanks.

Quick Reply: OT: Rennlist addiction with my Iphone; Crazy?