Sponsored by:

oil drain plug stripped

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 AM
susansez2luv
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil drain plug stripped

Well I just attempted my first oil change on my 99 996 Cab. Tried to use the piece of crap hex that comes with the car tool kit. It looked stripped and so did the insertion hole on the plug. Yep stripped for sure. Now I need to know how to get the plug out and a cheap non dealer site to buy a new plug.............. Help, running on black sludge in California.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:08 AM
ls911
Pro

Sounds to me like it needs to be tapped out of there. If you don't want to mess with that, go to a good indi or dealer. You should be able to get an accurate estimate for the plug removal, replacement and an oil change. Should not be that expensive and worth it since they can work on it via a lift and will have the tools needed.
The only other thing I can think of is a full engine replacement
Old 01-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Always use the right tools, if you want to start DIY at least buy a set of Sears craftsman tool combo sets. If you work on them enough you can upgrade to Snapons... like the set I have :P

That's probably one of the worse bolt you can stripp. I think the only thing you can do now is to use a reverse tap, basically drill a hole and then screw in the reverse tap and try to get that bolt out. You wouldn't need to worry about the metal scrap since all the oil will flush it out.

Try pelicanparts.com for the part, or just your local stealer.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:50 AM
steve germany
Instructor

$4.50 at Pelican

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...07-197-01-M260

To get it out yourself stop by Sears and pick up a set of the metric stubby easy-outs. They are reverse thread bolts/cutters. As you twist them in to the stripped hole they will increase torque in the correct direction to remove the plug. Don't forget a new washer and a rule of hand for the plug is finger tight and then 1/4 more. Better to use a torque wrench though...
Old 01-19-2008, 09:39 AM
wxseed
Instructor

it happens more than people think, if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself go to a dealer and pay the $200 they will want, don't do what robyn993 said because if you drill through and can't get the bolt out, you no longer have a car you can drive ...
try this link;
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...=3308&hl=sears
btw a new drain plug and washer from a dealer is about $6.00
worst case if you really mess up is that you have to remove and replace the oil pan. $135.00 held on with 13 bolts and porsche sealant ......
and buy good tools, you're working on a $100K car ....
Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

wxseed, I was just about to comment to this thread and reference my thread over on renntech (from 3.5 years ago!) and you beat me to it! GREAT FIND!!!!

It's very easy to strip that plug. Not to worry, get the proper tools as stated, get a new drain plug, and be on your way to DIY euphoria
Old 01-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a great thread, thanks Dell for sharing your way-out of this tough situation. I saved all your pics on Renntech for reference. I always wonder how to deal with this if that happens on my P-car. Cheers.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can get a BIG set of channel locks on the outer diameter of the plug, it should grip enough to get it out. Clamp on to it as hard as possible. You dont want to slip on this method either, makes it harder the next round. (Cant remember if there is anything preventing this from happening like casting of the oil pan interfering with getting the channel locks around the plug).

Or, get the right size allen wrench (preferably a socket allen) and beat it deeper into the plug with a large ball peen, sometimes it will work.

Thirdly, stripped bad enough, you can use a mm bigger wrench or possibly a SAE size that will fit tighter than the original size.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very welcome Bao!

I remember how frustrating it was when I tried to do my first oil change only to discover a stripped drain plug. By the way, the CAB (like I said in your other thread) looks fantastic! Identical to mine (except the color of course).

Quick Reply: oil drain plug stripped