Sponsored by:

The dreaded back window...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded back window...

Before I get the "do a f#%^!ing search" response, I want you to know that 1) I did and 2) this is about a dealer recommendation that has not been discussed (as best I can tell). Yes, my plastic window has decided to come unglued in the lower passenger corner. But when I called to inquire about sowing or replacement top (perhaps witht he glass window) I was told the window could be glued back - and that Porsche has a special tool to seat the window back in. Sounds iffy to me. $300 sounds good though. Any expereince with that option out there?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Slakr
Intermediate

What year is your cab??

When I was looking last fall, a couple of dealers made a big deal out of having
replaced the tops because of a recall related to the issue you are describing...

maybe you need to question the dealer a little more.....??? this might be a covered recall item......or I could be an idiot!!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Thanks! it is a 2000
Old 02-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Slakr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bucket_hat_Loren
Thanks! it is a 2000
I know for sure that a 2001 I looked at had a new top for this reason....can't hurt to ask!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bucket_hat_Loren
Before I get the "do a f#%^!ing search" response, I want you to know that 1) I did and 2) this is about a dealer recommendation that has not been discussed (as best I can tell). Yes, my plastic window has decided to come unglued in the lower passenger corner. But when I called to inquire about sowing or replacement top (perhaps witht he glass window) I was told the window could be glued back - and that Porsche has a special tool to seat the window back in. Sounds iffy to me. $300 sounds good though. Any expereince with that option out there?

Thanks!
there's a special tool for re-gluing that, I've seen it being used on a cab up here, it's pretty complicated, with posts that bolt into rear wheel bolt holes and a strap that clamps down from I think under the tires, around that post, and up around the rear window with a heated supporting frame, very funny lucking and it has to be in place for awhile but apparently it works
Old 02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

You know what I'd do? I'd drive the thing to the nearest upholstery shop that works on cars and say "fix it, please", which they'd probably do for all of $50-100. That's what works on Miatas, at least.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Slakr
Intermediate

Default Any Update, Loren???

What did you decide to do???
Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

well...I did ask the dealer and the answer was that there was a motor recall but nothing regarding the top. And yes they will glue it back - prolly around 5 bills (but it is gauranteed for 2 years). Went to a top place in my town and they refused to touch it. I have found after market places who guarantee their roofs to be a perfect fit, german canvas, the whole bit - for around 5 bills. Plus install. SO I am wighing my options. No hurry - it is sitting with a trickle charger in the garage for at least the next little while...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 PM
kas930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue...Went to the local dealer and as I figured, they don't do those type of repairs. So I yanked the top off, took it to a local trim shop and had it fixed for $50. I hope to have it back together by this weekend.
Keith
Attached Images     
Old 02-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I had this done on my old '99 at 3 months out of warranty (thanks PCNA, for nothing). New plastic with zipper, but if zipper breaks, new canvas, and yes, I bought the whole damn thing. Sucked.

Anyway, if you are near salt water, find a really good marine upholstery shop. Many report very high success rates using these guys as they are very meticulous, do only high end boat canvas, and can often make it all nice and purdy too.

I watched the dealer do the glue trick on my '99, then the zipper broke, and the canvas had to be replaced. But it was a funky looking deal with frames around the window, long bolts into the wheels, and battery juice to make it happen. Glad the '04 has glass now.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

There is a TSB on the window separation. It states a limit (just a inch or two) beyond which the re-gluing process cannot be used. If beyond the limit, your options are:

1. find a shop that is expert enough to remove your top and sew in a replacement window (no use sewing in your old, scratched one).
2. find a shop that will replace your entire top.

Notes to above:

1. I did not mention removing the top yourself. Its not a simple job and even more complex to reinstall properly.

2. My bid for option 1 was $600. (and I had no reference for this upholstery shop).

3. Instead, I opted for new after market top by same mfg of OEM top. $3000 installed vs $5000 for OEM top at same shop. Its identical except for (ironically) rear window being sewn in as well as glued.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 AM
ultramens
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have instructions on how to move the softtop? My plastic window is coming off and want to get it to a uphosltery shop to fix.... thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 PM
kas930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished installing my top after have the rear window sewn in (top's a little dirty!). Removing and installing the top is pretty straight forward, but I do have the shop manuals. If your top and rear window are in good shape I would definately go the cheaper route and have the rear window sewn in it becomes unglued. Now onto dropping the motor and getting the interior freshend up.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: The dreaded back window...