996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buying my first Porsche, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
breakdown
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first Porsche, need opinions.

Hey Everyone,

I just signed up here; great site.

I'm shopping right now for my first Porsche. I'm hoping to buy before the end of the summer. I know this has probably been beaten to death but I would like some opinions on which gen of 996 I should go for.

I originally wanted to get a 99 or 00 and just be done with it but the looks of the 02 plus are really starting to sway me. I also like the idea of the more robust engine and the updated interior. I get coffee a lot on my way to work so I'd like the cup holders and I also keep a lot of music in my car so the glovebox would be really nice as well. Overall, the 02 plus just seems like a better purchase.

There's only one problem. If I get a 2002 or newer, I have to sell my sportbike. My bike is worth about 6 or 7 grand and that seems to be the price difference between the models that I'm looking at. I'm torn on this one.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 AM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by breakdown
Hey Everyone,

I just signed up here; great site.

I'm shopping right now for my first Porsche. I'm hoping to buy before the end of the summer. I know this has probably been beaten to death but I would like some opinions on which gen of 996 I should go for.

I originally wanted to get a 99 or 00 and just be done with it but the looks of the 02 plus are really starting to sway me. I also like the idea of the more robust engine and the updated interior. I get coffee a lot on my way to work so I'd like the cup holders and I also keep a lot of music in my car so the glovebox would be really nice as well. Overall, the 02 plus just seems like a better purchase.

There's only one problem. If I get a 2002 or newer, I have to sell my sportbike. My bike is worth about 6 or 7 grand and that seems to be the price difference between the models that I'm looking at. I'm torn on this one.

Any suggestions?
congrats on your decision. after having watched episode IV last night, "you've taken your first step into a larger world".

in general, i would say after you've determined your needs (is it a DD? how are your winters where you live?, etc.) you can settle on a model year and type (cab? c4? targa? c2?). then find the car, follow the 996 buying faq, and enjoy!

i also think it's a good idea to buy as new a p-car as you can afford (and of course, if the car isn't CPO, consider an after market warranty or stash some $$ as a repair fund for the unexpected).

good luck.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
ls911
Pro

Buying the best within your budget does not always = newer

Even though I had my mind on 02 and up I ran into a well optioned 01 w/low miles, one owner, etc...
I was more than willing and would rather have that than a higher mileage, less options non Aero 02 and up for approx the same $$$.

Fine balance between options/condition and age

BTW, I do have cup holders and the arm rests storage is plenty big. I don't think you will be able to tell much diff in power (.1 to .2 in 0-60?)

What is the max you are willing to spend?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

02 or later,base model.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Jackel
Instructor

I'm debating getting a Sport bike again and am also going to modify my current Porsche. As above figure out the basics: daily driver vs low usage, cabrio or coupe, AWD or RWD, options, etc.

For what its worth, get a good PPI and some sort of warranty (at least for a year or more, just in case). Keep your bike (you'll just end up getting another, trust me

As far as music storage ?? get an Ipod connector and be done with it. The cup holders on the Porsche are a joke (and the Germans' meant it as one!) Go to ultimatecupholder.com you can get a pair for about 60 shipped. I got mine in under a week and they work way better than OEM on any car I've seen. You should buy the car you want of course, but don't let the cupholders or Ipod thing stop you. They are easy fixes compared to 6 or 7 thousand extra $

If you want the extra stuff of the 02+ that's different.....

You can do a lot of fun things to you're 99-01 for 6,000-7,000 dollars
Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

It seems to me that the question you really want answered is: Are the advantages of the '02+ cars worth my sportbike?

My personal answer to that is, no. That crotch rocket offers a whole 'nother spectrum of fun. A '99-'00 911 plus a sportbike will NOT trump an '02+ 911.

EDIT. Typing too fast. What I meant was, a '99-'00 911 plus a sportbike will NOT BE trumped by an '02+ 911. Keep the bike, buy the '99-'00 911.

Last edited by Palting; 04-29-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really most people won't be able to tell the difference in potential and handling between a 99-01 and 02-04...don't know about the 997 haven't driven one.

Looks wise.... 02+ looks better, in my opinion...but there are people that love the 99-01 look and this is very personal.
I know the 02+ bigger engine....little nicer interior...but in the end you got to buy what you can afford and don't sell your bike....bikers are a special breed and you are going to hate your P-car for it!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a '99 and it's a fantastic car. I found one in great condition at the dealer. I'd caution against selling your bike to buy the car. If your margin for error is that tight, then in the event of a catastrophic issue with your Porsche (I'm NOT saying that the engine will blow up), you may not be ready financially. That's a bad scenario.

Start "affordably" (that's relative) with your first P-Car and evolve. I always keep a 4-digit safety fund in my bank to take care of issues if they come up.

Bob
Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
breakdown
Advanced

Thanks guys.

I have a quick question. Is AWD available on the 99 or 00 coupe? I've been shopping around quite a bit and I haven't seen any 1st gen C4's for sale.

This car will be a daily driver for sure. The winters where I live aren't that bad. I've managed two winters in the past in a 2wd pickup truck with no problems. I just know that AWD would be much more fun to have for the winter months.

I love having my bike but I hate the fact that it's a significant chunk of money + insurance for something that only gets 6,000kms of use a year. My job (geologist) conflicts with riding season so I don't get to use it nearly as much as I'd like to. With the car, the idea was to have a more practical toy since I need a vehicle regardless.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 189 Posts

AWD was available in 99 and 00, yes.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try looking for an '01 - there were updates in each model year. The MY01s have the interior LEDs, updated bonnet and engine bay releases, etc.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best of luck in your search. Be sure to read the Buyer's Guide at the top of the page. It will help you in your decisions.

Good luck.

C.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Do not do it under any cirumstances, unless it has a warranty.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by othomasjr
Do not do it under any cirumstances, unless it has a warranty.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

I was having the same dilema when I bought my 99. I would suggest getting out on your bike and taking it for a ride, then think about your options. I've been through several bikes (and cars) and the feeling you get when you are bikeless is not a good one.
Plus if you keep the bike you have something to ride when the car breaks...

Quick Reply: Buying my first Porsche, need opinions.