Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a dork
Old 04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
So, call me Porsche-centric, that's a label I can surely live with!!
Me too. It would be hard to justify owning one if you weren't.

Sorry, Ben. But try to read my little missive more neutrally: I'm not dissing anybody or anybody's car. I'm just saying it's not unreasonable for people to be passionate about their 911s (or anything else they drive), and it's not unreasonable for them to have a gathering place. Driving a 911 is a lonely business out in the world... most people don't understand, some resent it, you're constantly living with the stereotype in order to have the chance to enjoy the car. This is the one place I figure you can come and make no apologies or have to explain anything or, for pete's sake, be judged. I mean really, the one place.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Boo hoo. Cry me a river. You drive a 911 and you need a place to call home that knows your name.

Fine.

But I would think you're passionate about the 911 because it's a car that drives well. It's unique. A BMW M3 drives well. Smooth. Somewhat more practical with the real rear seats and a superb engine. I got slammed for it. It's an uber-3 series. It's heavy. The stock suspension SUCKS. It can't compare to the 911.

GTR. It's Japanese so it's ugly. It's for "ricers". It's fast, yea, but it's still not a Porsche.

C'mon, you've read it all. You can be a steward of the brand and still acknowledge, appreciate other makes/models/types or vehicles even here in this forum since a lot of us own more than just the 996 and most certainly have a history with other makes.

That's all I'm driving at and am using TAILWAG's farewell post as a convenient lauching point 4 this slight digression.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
But I would think you're passionate about the 911 because it's a car that drives well. It's unique.
Correct.

It can't compare to the 911.
I've had three Bimmers. Loved them all. See your "unique" comment above.

GTR. It's Japanese so it's ugly. It's for "ricers". It's fast, yea, but it's still not a Porsche..
Correct again. The GTR is a supercar, objectively. Kicks asses and takes names, objectively. Is faster, handles better, is better built. But also correct that it is still not a Porsche.

C'mon, you've read it all. You can be a steward of the brand and still acknowledge, appreciate other makes/models/types or vehicles even here in this forum since a lot of us own more than just the 996 and most certainly have a history with other makes.
Sure. But I think you come down on people pretty hard for preferring their Porsches. You have to let go of this idea that there is a right and wrong and a best and worst. At this level of the game - with anything from cars to whatever - it's personal, not objective. In a Porsche forum, I should be able to get away with saying I respect the M3 or the S2000 but don't like them, and not have to defend my position.

... and am using TAILWAG's farewell post as a convenient lauching point 4 this slight digression.
TAILWAG opened this can of worms. I'm sure he'll get over it.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceP
Correct.

I've had three Bimmers. Loved them all. See your "unique" comment above.

Correct again. The GTR is a supercar, objectively. Kicks asses and takes names, objectively. Is faster, handles better, is better built. But also correct that it is still not a Porsche.

Sure. But I think you come down on people pretty hard for preferring their Porsches. You have to let go of this idea that there is a right and wrong and a best and worst. At this level of the game - with anything from cars to whatever - it's personal, not objective. In a Porsche forum, I should be able to get away with saying I respect the M3 or the S2000 but don't like them, and not have to defend my position.

TAILWAG opened this can of worms. I'm sure he'll get over it.
-Which doesn't make the GTR a bad thing by any stretch because it is not a Porsche... in fact, in some ways, that's a good thing

-I come down hard on people who try to come up weak... with weak **** reasons

-Sure, it's personal, but don't take it personal as if Nissan is out to make you look bad

-I know you respect the game, but you and I both know there's little to no respect for other brands as expressed by some of the Porsche owners here (in some cases, hatred... for a damn car!)
Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to the newer, nicer Ben? Lol!!!
Welcome back!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Pat SHHHHH!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:29 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Newer nicer Ben? I must'a missed something!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

pat 56 says,"What happened to the newer, nicer Ben? Lol!!!
Welcome back!!!"

I was thinking the same thing!!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

GL TW with your new decisions. Stay tuned.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
WRT that empty garage space, you may be interested in my car which I am trying to sell. I have posted FS and I also have an ad in Classified if you have an interest. $90K is the lowest it will go.

email bella@wbrinsurance.com and your C4 was a beauty!
This almost makes me rethink my dislike of white cars. That's one good looking car.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by bella1
WRT that empty garage space, you may be interested in my car which I am trying to sell. I have posted FS and I also have an ad in Classified if you have an interest. $90K is the lowest it will go.

email bella@wbrinsurance.com and your C4 was a beauty!
She is a beauty...I have a set of wheels that would look absolutely perfect in that car - will email you shortly...thanks!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by BruceP
Personally, I don't understand why this forum needs to be agnostic to be legitimate. It's a Porsche forum, not a car enthusiasts' forum. And I haven't actually seen anyone here be arrogant about the assumed superiority of their 911. I've seen lots of people claim they're different, and lots of people accuse others of not "getting" it. That's not the same thing and, IMHO, it's a permissible bias when you're talking about a car that's had such a strange, epic history, such bizarre engineering, and such a tradition of irrational loyalty. To me, that's part of the pleasure of the car, and if it bothers someone then perhaps it's they who are insecure.

I love Porsches. It's not the same as having "blinders" on, and it doesn't imply I believe they are the best or even better than anything else. Porsches are what I came here to talk about; there are plenty of other sites on the 'net to talk about cars. If this site ever became some kind of let's-hold-hands-and-sing-Kumbaya forum where we all gush about every shiny new car that's fast on paper, I'd be the next guy out the door.
I don't know you in person so I surely hope that is not your everyday attitude. I clearly stated that "some" would take my comments personal - and you are obviously one of them and have proved my point quite well.

It is ok to love your car/911/Porsche...you have one for crying out loud - of course you are entitled to it. Just because this is a P forum, that does NOT mean you (when I say YOU I don't mean you for say - but anyone else) must have a swolen ego.

Again...some would take it personal - some get it, some don't.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrat's TW and great comments too
Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I don't know you in person so I surely hope that is not your everyday attitude. I clearly stated that "some" would take my comments personal - and you are obviously one of them and have proved my point quite well.

It is ok to love your car/911/Porsche...you have one for crying out loud - of course you are entitled to it. Just because this is a P forum, that does NOT mean you (when I say YOU I don't mean you for say - but anyone else) must have a swolen ego.

Again...some would take it personal - some get it, some don't.
My words are pretty neutrally stated, so if you find them challenging it can only be because you have issues yourself. I took nothing personally; I only took up your gauntlet to debate the other side. Debate, as you claim to have intended to point out, is healthy. I think all I've proved is that you aren't secure enough to drive one of these things.

As for my attitude, everyday or otherwise, that is quite completely none of your business and I certainly don't need counseling from someone who felt the need to pee in the pool just before climbing out.

PS... and never bought a membership.

Last edited by BruceP; 04-29-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added the PS.

Quick Reply: Goodbye fella's!