996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

WTF? Ben Just got banned!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 PM
SC996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't post much, but read every evening. I have no problem with it. How many times can a person argue over a wing , tire, etc because he can't accept the fact someone won't change their taste or opinion to match his?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I've gotta agree with this... if you look at other forums here at Rennlist it's the same deal - the more affordable the car, the more like the wild west the discussion becomes. I've noticed the influx of younger members and linked it to the decline in the amount of respect shown for one another.
That's kind of a broad brush to paint with. I'm an active member on another auto forum (of a car which is very affordable), and I've seen nothing but respect shown amongst the members, and don't remember in the last 2 years a conversation that's become a 'wild west' discussion.

As far as the influx of younger members, I'd consider myself a 'younger' 996 owner, and show anybody online the same if not more respect than I would someone that I'm talking to face to face. Age and maturity may be linked, but I fail to see age and respect being linked. I know just as many older folks that show others zero respect as I do younger folks.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is very sad and I must say that at first, Ben and I clashed because of my TT spoiler on a 2001 C2, but then one day he PM'd me and said if you love it, that's what important. Then he helped me get my MK1 Aero kit "with strakes". I don't know what to think about all this because Ben and I had our battles on 6Speed but in the end, he was someone I could PM and ask for advice and he was super nice. I agree with the person that said that he is gone now so lets end this thread. He cannot defend himself and there is no need for that any more. This forum has way to much good in it to spend this much time talking about something that is over. I have been told that my car is a 4x4 because I have not lowered it yet with PSS9's and it was not Ben who said that. How thin is our skin? This is not combat and no one has died. Lets start having fun again.

But thats just me.

Paul
Old 05-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazerblade
This is very sad and I must say that at first, Ben and I clashed because of my TT spoiler on a 2001 C2, but then one day he PM'd me and said if you love it, that's what important. Then he helped me get my MK1 Aero kit "with strakes". I don't know what to think about all this because Ben and I had our battles on 6Speed but in the end, he was someone I could PM and ask for advice and he was super nice. I agree with the person that said that he is gone now so lets end this thread. He cannot defend himself and there is no need for that any more. This forum has way to much good in it to spend this much time talking about something that is over. I have been told that my car is a 4x4 because I have not lowered it yet with PSS9's and it was not Ben who said that. How thin is our skin? This is not combat and no one has died. Lets start having fun again.

But thats just me.

Paul
Ben's OK with me too.

Actually everyone on here is OK with me because I don't think I could get that worked up on a car forum.

But Paul, nice truck you got there.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I'm a newbie and thought immediately the guy was more opinionated than me....and a littl abrasive.

I've come to this board for good advice ,etc., and it's all here and I appreicate that. I don't want to be chapped because I don't like the taco tail, or becasue my car is stock, etc., etc. So either way, for me anyway, it's still the same informative board and the same folks that can help a new guy - just safer in staying away from a pissing match

btw - thanks for all the good info guys, I do appreciate it
Lazerblade
Instructor

Originally Posted by riad
Ben's OK with me too.

Actually everyone on here is OK with me because I don't think I could get that worked up on a car forum.

ROFL, Bastard.
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John D.
Yea - it's about that - but it is a whole lot more..??? Today - my PMs are somewhat daunting over this episode. And if I take a minute to synthesize them - here is where they are coming from..

We have a lot of folks on Rennlist. The forums have what - about 61,000+ folks - and the e-mail list have about that same number? That doesn't count the "site visitors" who have not registered - they just read/watch - and ask themselves - "Do I dare register?". As I type this - there are over 200 of those folks, on-line - right now...

Most of my day today has been spent apologizing.

Why?

It's simple....

When one of you - a single person - member, user, visitor - I don't care which - feels they can NOT post for fear of being flamed, something is "broken". Do you know how many folks COULD share or WOULD SHARE their enthusiasm for these silly cars but for a few, a handful - didn't tromp all over them?

We are missing a lot of folks. A lot of enthusiasts. They simply had a fear to post as "them" for fear of folks who were "out of control".

And I'll take responsibility for that. It never should have happened - people, anyone, wherever, Porsche owner or not - should never fear to post here. On Rennlist. For the first time. Or the 10,000th time.

This is an enthusiast site. That's all there is. There is no more. But - the day I stop posting - or don't do "what I have to do to ensure" other enthusiasts have the same opportunity to ask questions, post pictures or enjoy the community?

That's the day I take that bus and leave this site as well.

So - if you are reading this - and have not posted, or registered or enjoyed the community to date - I apologize. It is "my fault". In the singular. It's not what I started. It is not what it is to become.

Thanks for reading,

John D.

+1

John, I'm surprised that more Rennlisters don't take advantage of the "ignore" function on the list. I banned Ben quite some time ago. I couldn't even begin to tell you what he's been flatulating about over the last few months, and I feel great!

My point to Mike from Chicago a few months back (on a separate issue) was around self policing. If more would use the "ignore" option, those of Ben's ilk would be ignored and lose interest. When you read something that you don't like, simply ignore them. Attention *****'s like Ben thrive on getting peoples undies in a twist, don't give in.

So, Rennlisters, it's your site. Don't feel bad for Ben (personally I can't stop smiling), in many ways you egged him on and fed his ego.

Now, what's with these M96 motors Autofarm is rebuilding?
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by riad
LOL!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:54 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My very first Rennlist post, back in late 2001 I believe, was asking about 944 reliability - to which I got a bunch of and 'try using the Search' from what I remember. I also got a lot of helpful advice and guidance.

Fast forward 6 years, my first post to the 996 forum was something about what it takes to blow up your engine, abuse or does it just happen...to which I got a lot of "after 4k plus posts, you can't use the search function..." plus a lot of good advice and help.

You need a thick skin to post silly questions on a forum full of pros and posers. If I turned in my Rennlist card every time someone called me an idiot, gave me attitude, or worse, I would never have bought a 944, or a 996!

Thanks again John D!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I grew up in Canada and when riding the bus the younger people usually gave the older folks there seats which where standing... out of respect and if they did not the bus driver would usually make them. It my have made some angry, however I still think it makes for a better place. So I understand John D's. reason.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm around Ben's age, and have been posting on car message boards before the www. Usenet anyone?

Like everything else, the golden rule applies, 'treat unto others how you expect to be treated.' My post count on this board have increased by quite a substantial margin and I've been involved in a couple of flame wars involving Ben. While I'm comfortable with flaming, I have a rule never to flame someone else unless they flame first, then the gloves come off. At the end of the day, the quality of a forum is about its members and their contributions. While Ben could be entertaining, he took a lot more than he gave.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I was really hoping that Ben had matured and settled down a bit. I thought his recent (last couple of week) posts were, for the most part, devoid of his early rants and chides. I even PM'd him a couple of days ago to let him know that I had noticed a positive change on his recent posts and I encouraged him to keep it up.

I haven't didn't the post/thread that got him banned, so I can't speak to the specifics of the banning. I have a lot of respect for John D. and I do know that he does not have an itchy trigger finger. If someone gets banned that just means they didn't head any of the warnings and kept pushing past the point of no return.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow it finally happened and I am glad.

As most of you know I wrecked my Porsche in January of this year. Before that dreadful day, I was a regular on this forum. After the accident I did participate still, but I started to see things I did not like happening to the forum and it all started with one individual. So many of Ben's threads were OT and here we are on a 996 forum, and I too witnessed his responses in other threads that did not make any sense and were not nice at all. He was not entertaining and had no credability in my book. After a while I stopped visiting completely because I saw the forum going in a direction I did not like to be involved in.

Well enough said and maybe now I will be on this forum more often.

Oh and Ben, if you are reading this, I hope you are chuckling to yourself because we don't care.

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 05-08-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 AM
ls911
Pro

For me, both were big losses to this site, each in dif ways. Sad to see them go.
I get why, so no need to break it down any further.

Ben is a good man, solid heart, most never saw past his raw ways/style, some did…
Understandable either way, I get him, know what is in him.

I also fully understand how it all came crashing down at the end (was watching it go down, participated in the thread).

Passions run deep and thus things can get heated at times, not all just involving Ben either.
As a result some feelings get hurt and people can get too pissed off.
All this, IMO, should all be kept in some perspective, if possible. It is all within the internet, in a forum.
I know this does not excuse the personal attacks, not looking to do so, not the point.

I was disappointed in the feeding frenzy that took place afterwards. Like circling vultures swooping down to pick the bones clean. Some going about it in the same way they claim is wrong.
Others just throwing stones from glass houses.

I wish Bruce would have taken that vacation he had mentioned just before it all hit the fan
But if any of this was crossing into his real life in negative ways, I’m truly happy for him.

I stand by BenC, unpopular as it may be, black flag, green flag…whatever….flame away.
I think most took him way too seriously.

As for me, I am taking that long vacation.
This is not just because of the Ben and Bruce thing, although it is part of it.
It is mostly just me.

Chao,
Wish you and your beautiful fiancé the best.
The pleasure was all mine
Happy travels my man

I would also like to extend my deepest thanks for the fantastic time I’ve had.
Yes I got pissed off/worked up at times as well, this was also part of the experience. i have no hard feelings over ANY of it, all part of that man thing, **** happens
All the information I received was priceless.
For the many times I fell off my chair and all the drool that kept my keyboard clean, I thank you.

Last but not least, the mod sickness I caught on this site, yeah, my wife thanks you for that one as well...
Old 05-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I love you all.....(okay maybe not!) I understand John's points....it is annoying to have internet torrets child splurting out offensive BS ALL the time....his remarks were never funny or positive.

On the other hand I think we should ban RIAD as well.....he is TOO funny ALL the time and that has to stop..

Quick Reply: WTF? Ben Just got banned!