Sponsored by:

to aero or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:52 AM
yasuro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to aero or not?

okay, so my car is an 01 c4 arctic silver. it has a taco tail but no other aero parts.

i'm a bit hesitant to get the complete the aero look because i think the chin might turn into a snowplow in michigan winters.

i think i prefer a more sedate look to my car, but regardless here are my options:

1. get an aero kit front and side skirts.
2. sell/trade taco tail for a "plain" tail (hard to find).
3. just get a front air splitter to counteract the "floaty" feeling i get at speed from having just the taco tail.
4. maybe just get a front air splitter and live with just having the taco tail.

what do you guys think? any other options? any folks out there that drive their cars in pretty heavy snow with an aerokit?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 74 Posts

Full Aero or nothing is my opinion. The Taco looks misplaced without the other componants.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I've been thinking along the same lines. I'm in Boston and have the same concerns about snow plowing. However, I wouldn't just run the taco without the front. And I wouldn't run the the front and rear without the sides. So I guess my vote is for going for the full meal deal or getting rid of the taco. If you decide to get rid of the taco and are interested in a swap for the plain tail let me know.

Shawn
Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NOTE TO ALL: Due to aerodynamic balance, you NEED the front nose with the wing. You can run the nose without the wing, but it is not recommended to run the opposite.

C.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:25 AM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by Chads996
NOTE TO ALL: Due to aerodynamic balance, you NEED the front nose with the wing. You can run the nose without the wing, but it is not recommended to run the opposite.

C.
well, that explains the floaty feeling i get at 90+. er, not that i've actually driven over the speed limit. ever. (looks around for LE).
Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the full boat. I'm surprised you haven't had a burning desire to fix the floaty feel already. There's a thread on installing a GT3 splitter on the stock bumper somewhere and the people who have done it say it makes a big difference.

My boss owns a Formula Ford race car and when I told him how the steering on my C2 gets floaty above 80-85 he thought that was nuts. He didn't think the aerodynamics of the car should come into play until much higher speeds. Shoot, when we drive our Honda minivan above 80 I can't feel a difference.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i agree with most here about getting the full aero or not at all. i am not a big fan of the taco wing...i prefer the aero wing that is designed for the cab.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996

C.
Yep +1 on this post from Chad.

Rip that wing off or put the entire kit on, specifically the front bumper that goes with the wing or you will be sorry.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If you are ever parting out the wing and want to sell PM me. I'm in the market for a bumper + wing.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default AERO

Originally Posted by yasuro
okay, so my car is an 01 c4 arctic silver. it has a taco tail but no other aero parts.

i'm a bit hesitant to get the complete the aero look because i think the chin might turn into a snowplow in michigan winters.

i think i prefer a more sedate look to my car, but regardless here are my options:

1. get an aero kit front and side skirts.
2. sell/trade taco tail for a "plain" tail (hard to find).
3. just get a front air splitter to counteract the "floaty" feeling i get at speed from having just the taco tail.
4. maybe just get a front air splitter and live with just having the taco tail.

what do you guys think? any other options? any folks out there that drive their cars in pretty heavy snow with an aerokit?
OF COURSE!
Attached Images    
Old 05-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

If you decide on the stock wing, I have one (with all the components) gathering dust in my garage. It is silver. $200 plus shipping.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:21 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

you need the full kit--porshe say's the car is not stable at high speed with the wing alone
Old 05-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plus 1 with need to go full aero. I think the tail is by far the ost expensive piece so to finish it off will be less $, not to mention too much downforce in rear at speed= lighter/more dangerous front end.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mfletch
If you decide on the stock wing, I have one (with all the components) gathering dust in my garage. It is silver. $200 plus shipping.
What is a stock wing? I thought Taco was the stock wing on Mk I Aeros.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock wing I think is no wing. It is the standard retractable spoiler. He had to do a decklid swap when he got the taco wing.

Quick Reply: to aero or not?