996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hood damaged by Cement Company

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ready-crete sets in about 1-3 hours from the times I have used it.

I believe they recommend 24 hrs for full strength.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Ready-crete sets in about 1-3 hours from the times I have used it.

I believe they recommend 24 hrs for full strength.
As another post mentioned, concrete actually takes years to set fully - it's a quite remarkable composite.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
As another post mentioned, concrete actually takes years to set fully - it's a quite remarkable composite.
85% strength after 28 days. But you are correct it takes a long time to set. They say hoover damn is still curing now.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=jasper;5441311]
Originally Posted by Eharrison

From where I sit it's fresh concrete before it's set and hardened concrete after. Ready-mix is a special albeit common form of fresh concrete.

Look at it this way, say you were living next door to the OP, and you were mixing up some concrete in your mixer at home so you could build a garage. Then lets say you had one too many beers and ended up splashing your neighbours hood while you were tipping your mix into your forms.

The next day you wouldn't be apologizing for getting ready-mix on his car would you? Ready Mix is so-called because it comes delivered to the work site ready to place.

Yes, I agree that it was ready-mixed concrete on his car, but it was concrete first, and Ready Mix second.

edit: and yes - any self respecting male should know the difference between cement and concrete.

Other way around, ready mix was spilled, concrete was what "peeled" (how I don't know) the paint off.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:28 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Eharrison;5441806]
Originally Posted by jasper

Other way around, ready mix was spilled, concrete was what "peeled" (how I don't know) the paint off.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I mean that ready mix is a type of concrete...but all concrete is not ready mix. Ready mix is concrete which is delivered to a build site "ready" to place, as in the case at hand, but not all concrete is ready mix.

All concrete is however concrete, even before it's hardened (or hydrated to be more exact).....unless you're talking about mortars.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

85% strength after 28 days. But you are correct it takes a long time to set. They say hoover damn is still curing now.

Yup, exactly.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:35 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

We all have different ways of operating. I'm a straight-up kinda guy. I say what I do and do what I say. To do otherwise is against my code of ethics.
You're implying that I'm not a straight-up kind of guy because I expect someone that causes me $600 of property damage to reimburse me for the diminished value of my vehicle?

Put very simply, if someone doesn't want me to collect $600 from their insurance and spend it the way I choose to, I'd recommend that they don't hit my Porsche.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tooloud10
You're implying that I'm not a straight-up kind of guy because I expect someone that causes me $600 of property damage to reimburse me for the diminished value of my vehicle?

Put very simply, if someone doesn't want me to collect $600 from their insurance and spend it the way I choose to, I'd recommend that they don't hit my Porsche.

You're twisting my words and missing the point. I implied nothing. I made personal statements and said nothing about you.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

I like how a thread on what approach to take on getting a paint repair on a car has now spurned two tangents, one on ethics and morals and the other on definition of ready mix and concrete.

And Jasper I'm going in the same direction as you I'm just a block over.

Ready mix is to dough as concrete is to cake. That's my final answer.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your example was a totally irrelevant to the discussion ....

.... do not read more into my words than is intended and do not twist them to suit your own mindset.
You're a fun guy with whom to attempt a discussion. I can't decide whether you choose your words very carefully so as to intentionally constitute insult .... or you simply lack sufficient command of civil discourse to avoid inadvertent offense.

Either way, you can have the field to yourself.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

You're twisting my words and missing the point. I implied nothing. I made personal statements and said nothing about you.
Your words didn't require any twisting and I think any reasonable person would have inferred the same thing I did. In any case, the thought has never even crossed my mind that using money owed to me in whatever manner I like is inappropriate in the slightest way.

That said, Kim's ring analogy seemed spot-on to me...if the topic intrigues me enough, I think a simple poll would clarify the average guy's feelings on the topic.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Your words didn't require any twisting and I think any reasonable person would have inferred the same thing I did. In any case, the thought has never even crossed my mind that using money owed to me in whatever manner I like is inappropriate in the slightest way.

That said, Kim's ring analogy seemed spot-on to me...if the topic intrigues me enough, I think a simple poll would clarify the average guy's feelings on the topic.

Wouldn't you have to know what your policy says to know if just keeping the money is morally right? I mean, if the policy says they will repair the car, or provide money to have the car repaired, rather than reimburse you for the loss, then contractually, are you not obligated to spend the money only for the repair of the car? Isn't that why the insurance companies write the check out in both names in the first place?
Old 05-24-2008, 06:19 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Patrick
Wouldn't you have to know what your policy says to know if just keeping the money is morally right?
If somebody hits my car, my insurance company doesn't have anything to do with it, and their insurance company isn't in a position to tell me what to do with the money they owe me.

I mean, if the policy says they will repair the car, or provide money to have the car repaired, rather than reimburse you for the loss, then contractually, are you not obligated to spend the money only for the repair of the car? Isn't that why the insurance companies write the check out in both names in the first place?
See above. We're not talking about me turning in damage to my own company. That sometimes IS dictated by your policy's language.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

If somebody hits my car, my insurance company doesn't have anything to do with it, and their insurance company isn't in a position to tell me what to do with the money they owe me.

See above. We're not talking about me turning in damage to my own company. That sometimes IS dictated by your policy's language.
True enough. I forget sometimes that no-fault states are different. In your case, it would depend on the wording of the endorsement of the check, but the concept is still the same.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:39 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I like how a thread on what approach to take on getting a paint repair on a car has now spurned two tangents, one on ethics and morals and the other on definition of ready mix and concrete.

And Jasper I'm going in the same direction as you I'm just a block over.

Ready mix is to dough as concrete is to cake. That's my final answer.
Fact is that the real thread going on around us bores me - I'd rather talk about cement and concrete.

I make cement for a living. I'm the operations manager for the Castle Cement Padeswood Works in Wales UK at the moment. For the last ten years I worked for Lehigh as quality and process manager. Portland Cement is my specialty but you can't help but pick up some concrete knowledge along the way.

For those of ou still fuzzy on the difference, Eharrison's dough and cake analogy is sound. Being a cement man I would add that cement is to readymix as flour is to dough.

I still maintain that fresh concrete is the more correct term to describe the material on the OP's hood. Yes, it was ready mix but all concrete in it's plastic stae is not necessarily ready mix.

We do agree though...let's leave it at that.

Too bad about buddy's car there. Should buff right out.

Quick Reply: Hood damaged by Cement Company