996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LA San Diego GTG @Mt, Palomar Sunday, June 22

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

We took 11 928's from Texas to NC last year. We saw two cops the entire way, as luck would have it, so the entire trip east was at a rapid clip. We literally had a 300+ mile run where 4 of us ran between 130-150mph. Ah, German Muscle Cars out touring. What fun that was. But, I digress....

We randomly took turns out in front so none of us was the lead dog or the caboose for any length of time. It was like a ballet, with the constant rotation, and kept any individuals "stress" level low, as those speeds probably mean a free night's stay in the local pokey.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I travel all over the southwest by truck for work and you can sometimes find a "partner" who will trade out leading when going slightly over the limit. I'm not much for 100+ in a pick up but when you're running 10+ and don't want to spend the $130 on ticket it's pretty good.

I'm working on the map again. Added the start and stop too.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

I sent the map out, let me know if you didn't get it.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:59 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For reference - LEOs will be out on Palomar on any given weekend, it's just a lottery as to when you'll meet one (or more).

They also run aerial spotters from time to time, and radio down to the cars when they have a target that needs pulling over - they wait for you to come along then on with the lights for the stop.

So you take your chances if you speed - and if you get caught then consider it a speed tax and move on.

As for safety - I've seen a motorcycle coming down the hill take the side off the car in front, because the rider lost control over the center line.

It's a busy place - you can be completely on your side of the road - you can still get hit by someone less skilled/lucky.

Great roads never the less, and a thrilling drive.

After Palomar, we should absolutely do a run into Palm Dessert on the Pines to Palms Highway one day.

Just look at those curves top right!

Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

I ran the palm to pines two weeks ago. In a pickup....woot.....but I'd like to. You would swear that when you get down to the Palms you were in Tucson. Arnee talks about Idlyywild and what fun it is. I'd like to do that one too.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

cdodkin you going to the Palomar one?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
cdodkin you going to the Palomar one?
Depends who's asking/looking!

Can you send me some details just in case
Old 06-07-2008, 11:18 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eharrison
I ran the palm to pines two weeks ago. In a pickup....woot.....but I'd like to. You would swear that when you get down to the Palms you were in Tucson. Arnee talks about Idlyywild and what fun it is. I'd like to do that one too.
Yeah, Pines-to-Palms is a little bit more boring than Hwy-243 to Idyllwild. 243 intersects Pines-to-Palms @ Mountain Center and you can either go east (Palm Springs Area), west (Hemet area), or southwest (Anza/Aguanga area closer to Temecula).

Hwy 243 isn't as popular as Palomar and I wouldn't mind doing that with you, Ed!

Unfortunately, I'm still tentative for Palomar. I will let you know if I'm a go.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, we'll get that one going sometime. I hope you can make the Palomar one, I'm sure that one is going to be a blast.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:17 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you guys considered maybe doing it earlier to avoid the traffic that is bound to build up on palomar?
Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

A couple of folks have talked about that.....Who wants to move it earlier? I'm normally up early so it doesn't bother me at all....

The only issue is the guys coming in from a distance, I would bet a lot more guys would wake up at 4am look at the clock and roll their eyes and go back to sleep.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm good for earlier
Old 06-09-2008, 01:15 AM
996superfly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

Do you mind if a few members of Pcars members join in the run? We are from Pcars.us forum that love to do meet & run with local So. Cal Porsche event. Some of us also member of PCA Orange County Chapter.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

OMG you're the LEO instigator.

Just kidding, the more the merrier.

The map is at the Temecula CHP main office in their debriefing room.... Just kidding again.

If you want the map I'll send it to you. The time might be changing but everything else is good.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

One other thing, I want to get a head count and if wives/girlfriends/significant others are coming along to to the winery. Not that I'm booking a reservation but rather to get a heads up if some are bringing "extras" or not. My wife plans on meeting up at the winery. And there are others interested in doing the same since the wives don't enjoy canyon runs.... It's also a good idea to give teh restarant a heads up that there will be an influx of folks all at once.....

Let me know if you're bringing someone or they are meeting you there at the winery. (Which is a good idea and more than likely an easy way to get the sunday away from the "honey do's".)

Quick Reply: LA San Diego GTG @Mt, Palomar Sunday, June 22