Sponsored by:

REMOVING DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:53 AM
kunkstyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bavorak
Wish I had an answer for you. I need to do the complete opposite of this on a 03 with xenons, anyone know if it is as easy as connecting fuses 9 and 10?
That worked for me on the '00.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:18 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
mmm looks like Relay 5 and 6... same for the 996's?
probably, chart seems to say 6 & 7 to my eyes, see if that's double relay in your panel
Old 07-25-2008, 05:14 AM
NOBY
Pro

Question

Originally Posted by redridge
can you explain DRL.... are the parking light always on?
Yes I do not understand this eather, I dont have any lights on when I start my car
Old 07-25-2008, 06:09 AM
GNR996
Race Car

Originally Posted by NOBY
Yes I do not understand this eather, I dont have any lights on when I start my car
In Canada it is required to have some form of day time running lights.
Mostly cars here the headlights only will come on when the car is started.
For whatever reason Porsche decided that Canada will have ALL the flippin lights on for the DRL's. That is in my case the bixeons and the park lights.
All the head light switch does is turn on the dash lights and allows high beams to be activated.

Make any sense??

Guess we cant be trusted to turn on our lights when we need them.... well now that I think about it. You see some folks driving after sun down with out the lights on, just the drl's.

would really like to have just the front park or think descriped in the manual as marker lights for my DRL's. Seems silly having those xeons burning away all the time.

Geoff
Old 07-25-2008, 06:32 AM
NOBY
Pro

Originally Posted by GNR996
In Canada it is required to have some form of day time running lights.
Mostly cars here the headlights only will come on when the car is started.
For whatever reason Porsche decided that Canada will have ALL the flippin lights on for the DRL's. That is in my case the bixeons and the park lights.
All the head light switch does is turn on the dash lights and allows high beams to be activated.

Make any sense??

Guess we cant be trusted to turn on our lights when we need them.... well now that I think about it. You see some folks driving after sun down with out the lights on, just the drl's.

would really like to have just the front park or think descriped in the manual as marker lights for my DRL's. Seems silly having those xeons burning away all the time.

Geoff
Oh I get it, you guys have this problem, usa have the ugly bumperetts
Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 AM
GNR996
Race Car

Originally Posted by NOBY
Oh I get it, you guys have this problem, usa have the ugly bumperetts
no, we get the ugly bumperettes as well.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
probably, chart seems to say 6 & 7 to my eyes, see if that's double relay in your panel
+1, these cars share 30% of the same pieces as the Boxster, I wouldn't put it past Porsche that these are the same.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Zook,
shoulda bought a US car!
My DRLs are wired up so that only the front fogs are on. At night I have to turn the switch like everybody else.
Bring it to an indy and they can probably tell you which relay to pull; they just can't do it for you since that's against the law.

Yeah we do have the "ugly bumperettes" too. But after seeing the sad state of the bumpers on 996/997's in Paris, I'm quite okay having them on my car now.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM
bavorak
Instructor

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Hey Zook,
shoulda bought a US car!
My DRLs are wired up so that only the front fogs are on. At night I have to turn the switch like everybody else.
Bring it to an indy and they can probably tell you which relay to pull; they just can't do it for you since that's against the law.

Yeah we do have the "ugly bumperettes" too. But after seeing the sad state of the bumpers on 996/997's in Paris, I'm quite okay having them on my car now.

Phil, do you know how I can get the fog lights to work as DRL, I have a US car and would like to do it myself.

Cheers, David
Old 07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zookie
mmm looks like Relay 5 and 6... same for the 996's?
Yes should be.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Phil, do you know how I can get the fog lights to work as DRL, I have a US car and would like to do it myself.

Cheers, David
Contact James at Scan in Vancouver http://www.scanautomotive.com/ I bought my car from him in 2006 and he'd done the mod after importing it in to Canada. He's a rennlister and posts mostly in the Canada forum but not very often. I'm pretty sure it's a 30min job.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this helps, but I had DRL's but there was a power drain from the light switch, the indie (without telling me) simply replaced it with a non-DRL light switch and poof they are gone. I am not sure if it came oem or P.O. installed I never bothered decoding my sticker.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, tempting. clean house and well fed, or sugar momma? Decissions, decissions.

Wish I had an answer for you. I need to do the complete opposite of this on a 03 with xenons, anyone know if it is as easy as connecting fuses 9 and 10?
For my '01 C4 I simply jumpered the seat heat fuse (voltage source side) to both the right and left parking lights fuses. The 6W european DRL bulb illuminates with the street/parking/tail lights.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwest
For my '01 C4 I simply jumpered the seat heat fuse (voltage source side) to both the right and left parking lights fuses. The 6W european DRL bulb illuminates with the street/parking/tail lights.

Thanks, I will give it a go this weekend.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the relay tray. There is a relay that is twice as wide as the others pull it.

Then check to make sure with the relay removed all other lights work. Someone a long time ago claimed that after removing the relay some lights did not work. Think he said the license plate light or some light in the rear of the car.

Quick Reply: REMOVING DRL's