996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:06 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine with an Audi part from ebay for about $24 and it's been good since, almost a year now.
Took me about 20 mins total time.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
I think you're right on this, the Audi switch doesn't have much of a spring to it so I believe the lock would have to be replaced as well judging by the symptoms.
I was overruled
Old 07-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gentlemen,

I had the sticking/hard-to-turn key and electrical gremlins (no lights, no steering lock, and no wipers) as well and replaced the switch with the OEM part obtained via eBay for about $20 shipped. This took about 20 min and fixed not only the electrical stuff but also the "stickiness" of the lock. I still don't really understand it except to guess that something inside the broken electrical switch may cause some tension on the lock cylinder making the key hard to turn or extract.

After changing only the electrical switch, the lock is back to being as smooth as silk. I used the Renntech instructions and bought an extra switch for next time. I bet I can do the next one in under 10 min...

Good luck!

Tonger
Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Grabeard
AutoX

Does anyone know if this is covered by Porsche on a CPO car?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:47 PM
rmillnj
Racer

I just had mine done at the dealership. It cost me $415. I asked the service manager if it would have been covered under the CPO, hoping for some goodwill coverage since I was still under the mileage although over the time. He told me that it would not have been covered under the CPO warranty. He also told me he does about 10 of these ignition switch replacements a month.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by rmillnj
I just had mine done at the dealership. It cost me $415. ..... He also told me he does about 10 of these ignition switch replacements a month.
Unless something has changed very recently, you did not get the simple replacement of the electrical portion of the ignition switch. You got the replacement of the entire column locking hardware assembly, which includes an ignition switch of new design (in hopes of avoiding the problem in the future).

Because Porsche went to this new, much more extensive procedure a while back, Porsche stopped selling the old electric portion of the ignition switch, and DIYers have had to resort to sourcing it through Audi, eBay, etc.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:39 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
Unless something has changed very recently, you did not get the simple replacement of the electrical portion of the ignition switch. You got the replacement of the entire column locking hardware assembly, which includes an ignition switch of new design (in hopes of avoiding the problem in the future).
Yes, I got the entire column locking hardware. The service manager told me that most of the time the real problem is in the locking mechanism. If you read through all of the posts on line, more than a few people report they had to redo the cheap fix. If you don't mind doing the work yourself that might not be a big deal, but to someone like me whose mechanical abilities and patience are limited, $415 did not look like such a bad deal. I required some tools just to get the key back in the ignition just to start the car. If I had been out at night and that happened far from home, I would have probably had to pay for a tow. Using the dealership might be a bit more expensive, but it should eliminate the risk of this happening again anytime soon.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 PM
911Joel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Its really not that difficult to change out the entire switch assembly. Im sure just changing the single piece is a little easier and cheaper but there is a really good DIY here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=16077

Its really only a few screws, its just a matter of having patience since your working in a small place.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch question