Sponsored by:

Ignition switch question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 AM
jacksonking
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch question

My ignition switch seems to be "broken." For a couple weeks it was tough to get the key in and out, then it seems the spring inside broke and now when I start the car the key is not spring loaded back to the correct position. If left turned, some electrical stuff (AC particularly) will not function. If I manually turn it back counterclockwise all's well. If I turn it back too far...it shuts the engine down.

Does anyone know what I'm facing? Is this a possible DIY? Will I have to have the car rekeyed if the mechanic has to install a new lock? (That sounds expensive.)

You should see the valet trying to figure it out!

TIA.

Jack
Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

wow there has been a bunch of these recently... Yes there is plastic piece in the ignition that has broken. Key really won't move - AC works but not once you turn the car over.... Had mine fixed under warranty. At the dealer it was 600 bucks. I think there is a DIY on Renntech - the part itself is $30.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Blackness
Pro

You can replace just the switch itself as a DIY as Malakas stated. I opted to have the dealer install a new switch and steering column locking mechanism. Which is the only way a dealer will repair it. Cost me $460. This supposedly uses a revised part that's not as susceptible to this problem. Which is pretty common on 99-00 996 and 986's.

This happened to me the first thing on a Sat. morning on the way out of town. I couldn't remove the key from the ignition. So I couldn't drive the car because I couldn't lock it and the key being in the ignition would run the battery down. Lucky it didn't happen when I was out of town Sat. or Sun. I would have been hosed! That's the reason why I went with the more expensive repair option.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to replace the entire locking mechanism unfortunately. Pelican Parts has them (along with others) to get an idea of cost.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:49 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DIY is with an Audi part number - item is identical to the original switch in the car - search on the forum will find details for sure.

Dealer repair is a new part as Blackness said, which has been redesigned to avoid future failure in the same way.

Failure to replace the switch may lead to your battery running flat - as some systems could be left 'on' when key is removed.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM
jacksonking
Racer

As usual Rennlist saves the day. search on "ignition switch" didn't do it, but search on "audi ignition switch" and I found DIY instructions with photos, part number, link to part supplier, and peace of mind. I love this new fangled internet.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by jacksonking
As usual Rennlist saves the day. search on "ignition switch" didn't do it, but search on "audi ignition switch" and I found DIY instructions with photos, part number, link to part supplier, and peace of mind. I love this new fangled internet.
The problem lies in the locking mechanism, the switch is not going to solve the problem.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by jacksonking
You could have saved a bunch of time by clicking on DIY in the forum menu. I always look there first for anything reputed to be a common problem. Loren and the guys at RennTech have set the most common and helpful DIYs aside in their own section, with descriptive titles.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The switch is most often the cause of the key not returning to position on it's own. I suggest you simply replace the $30 switch and move on.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Tippy
The problem lies in the locking mechanism, the switch is not going to solve the problem.
I don't believe that is accurate in view of the problem he described and the many, many RennTech posters who have solved the same problem by replacing the electrical portion of the ignition switch. (same goes for your earlier post that the dealer must replace the entire mechanism).

Initially, Porsche performed this same fix, but eventually transitioned to a redesign and replacement of the electrical & mechanical switch sections along with the steering column lock. (there's a DIY for that at RennTech, also). However, for problems of a sticking key and/or electrical mysteries involving the ignition .... the replacement of the electrical portion of the switch still seems to be an adequate fix. At $25 or so for a new switch, and less than an hour of one's time, it seems to be preferable to the high dollar repair .... even if you have to eventually perform it again.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab

Initially, Porsche performed this same fix, but eventually transitioned to a redesign and replacement of the electrical & mechanical switch sections along with the steering column lock.
Well, when I had a problem with mine , 99firehawk recommended that I change the entire mechanism, not just the switch. But, apparantly the switch alone does the trick.

Luckily, mine never acted up again.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
I don't believe that is accurate in view of the problem he described and the many, many RennTech posters who have solved the same problem by replacing the electrical portion of the ignition switch. (same goes for your earlier post that the dealer must replace the entire mechanism).

Initially, Porsche performed this same fix, but eventually transitioned to a redesign and replacement of the electrical & mechanical switch sections along with the steering column lock. (there's a DIY for that at RennTech, also). However, for problems of a sticking key and/or electrical mysteries involving the ignition .... the replacement of the electrical portion of the switch still seems to be an adequate fix. At $25 or so for a new switch, and less than an hour of one's time, it seems to be preferable to the high dollar repair .... even if you have to eventually perform it again.
He will need to source a very short screw driver for the job though - or maybe custom modify an existing one.

Access is very very tight for the screws holding the switch to the ignition.

I think the DIY posts cover this - but it's worth noting before you start!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the Audi part and it worked for about two months before I had to bite the bullet and do the whole thing.

Radio Shack has a little RC car tool kit w/the perfect sized screwdriver to do the Audi part.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
I think you're right on this, the Audi switch doesn't have much of a spring to it so I believe the lock would have to be replaced as well judging by the symptoms.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 PM
puako
Rennlist Member

Please do a search for " HELP: Key stuck in ignition switch - battery NOT dead" . There is a lot of information and links in that thread. Good luck

Quick Reply: Ignition switch question