Sponsored by:

996 starting issue-- Help diagnose possible problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 PM
87Turbo944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 starting issue-- Help diagnose possible problem

Hi guys.. Just as the title says i'm having some starting issues with my 1999 996.. Basically about a week or so ago I noticed when I turned the key to start it, it would set there for 5-10 seconds and then crank over... it seemed kinda strange that it did that but it seemed to give me no real issues thereafter... Well, this past saturday I was running some errands and when I got in to start it I turned the key all the way over (everything lite up fine on the dash) but the car would not fire up (no clicking, nothing).. I tried it several times and held it over for several seconds and it did absolutely nothing... I popped the trunk and checked the battery... all connections appear at least to be tight with nothing loose.. after I put the battery cover back on and got in, I turned it and it started right up... I drove it the rest of saturday with no issues and I didn't drive it Sunday at all... Today, I took it out to grab some food with a buddy and basically a repeat of saturday happened all over again... everything lights up but it will not fire up... I did the same thing by removing the battery cover and such and after I got back in it after about 10mins or so fooling with it, it fires up... I drove it home and parked it tonight and when I turned the key after I shut it off, it's not firing...... so....... What sounds like the possible issue might be ?? ... Bad battery, starter itself, starter solenoid, fuse .. ?? I'm not an expert mechanic so i'm kinda speculating here... Any help from the guru's would be great !

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ignition switch needs replacing would be my guess. Search for the DIY.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 PM
87Turbo944
Intermediate

As I do more research, a lot of things i'm finding/reading seem to point to the ignition switch as you mentioned... although some point to the battery as well.. I have a few good local mechanics names I'm going to call tomorrow that I had been told some time back.. I will probably give them a ring and see what they say and maybe try and get the car over there so they can look at it.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Along the lines of the ignition switch, this is what I think occurs.

You lightly turn the key over and the contacts in the switch are not sufficiently contacted. You mess with the car's battery, then in a little more aggression, you turn the key much harder which makes contact and starts the car.

A second possibility is a sticking starter solenoid? It was common on older GM starters to give them a good whack and they would work.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Porx
Advanced

Just to add.... it may prob be the switch or the starter but in my instance the vehicle would start fine from cold and run hassle free. Once warm if i switche it off and then restarted in a short space of time it was a pig to start. (still is) .... the short of it is that it was diagnosed with cracked coil packs. which should explain some lumpy idling (not alway) so my next DIY is to replace the coil packs. May be an idea to have a look at yours too.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

I had exactly the symptoms you describe. The starting problem progressed from occasional to frequent to “it won't start unless Idisconnect / reconnect the battery prior to attempting“. For me, the problem turned out to be the immobilizer computer (beneath driver's seat)that recognizes the transponder signal from your key heads. Had to replace the immobilizer.

Ifirst replaced the ignition switch .... even though almost all posts on switch failure feature tales of crazy light issues, radio won't turn off, key won't come out of the lock, etc. The new switch made no difference at all.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
I had exactly the symptoms you describe. The starting problem progressed from occasional to frequent to “it won't start unless Idisconnect / reconnect the battery prior to attempting“. For me, the problem turned out to be the immobilizer computer (beneath driver's seat)that recognizes the transponder signal from your key heads. Had to replace the immobilizer.

Ifirst replaced the ignition switch .... even though almost all posts on switch failure feature tales of crazy light issues, radio won't turn off, key won't come out of the lock, etc. The new switch made no difference at all.
Sounds like a really good chance this may be it.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM
87Turbo944
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys... I talked to a Porsche mechanic at a reputable shop in my area this morning and he said he'd really need to take a look at it to determine the exact issue... I plan to probably drop it off there this week... I'll post the diagnosis once I find out.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:53 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Get the codes read and post them...if it is the immobilizer you will get codes.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 PM
87Turbo944
Intermediate

I also talked to the stealership in my area and the guy there was pretty cool.. He said to check the Battery first as that is also a common problem with this scenario... I plan to have that tested a little later this evening and go from there if that isn't the problem.. I had read somewhere where someone said that could be it as well.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
87Turbo944
Intermediate

Well, I think this might've been the cheapest repair i'll probably ever run into... It appears my problem was a matter of my carpet pushed a little too far up for me to notice and my clutch pedal wasn't pushed all the way down... in turn, my car would not crank over... I pulled the rug out a bit and it fired right up... uhh.. multiple times... I guess with these cars one tends to assume the worst when something appears to be wrong and I must admit i'm glad I was wrong this time !! Anyhow, thanks everyone for the helpful tips and i'll be sure to check my carpet from now on !
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

too funny, I had a girl come up to me in a parking lot unable to start her car and soliciting assistance (yes I did ask her how she drove it TO the parking lot before obliging) and lo and behold, pedal was caught on something
Old 07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Tippy
Race Car

It happens to best of us
Old 07-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Last Car
Advanced

The same thing happened to me when I first got my Pcar. They really should have those little 'hooks' so the carpet will not slide forward everytime you get into the car.
Glad it was something small,
Patrick

Quick Reply: 996 starting issue-- Help diagnose possible problem